• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ravioli Fillings

jende

I was very excited to get a pasta maker with a ravioli attachment for Christmas. Does anyone have suggestions for some unique ravioli fillings and sauces to pair? I heard of someone making a pear and ricotta filling with a pancetta sauce, which sounded delicious.

Great suggestions all, but.....

The stuffing's only half the equation.

How about appropriate sauces to go with each type of ravioli?

For example: How about ravioli stuffed with forcemeat & sage with a Turkey stock, cream & mild cheddar cheese sauce.

my favorite is pumpkin ravioli with burnt butter sauce with toasted pepitas. I have had sundried tomato and basil stuffed ravioli, artichoke basil, and of course ricotta cheese. Eggplant would be good. How about something sweet like a prune or fig filling? Maybe a crepe cookbook would be good inspiration.

Plenty more ideas besides the pear and ricotta stuffing in The Italian forum. Check out all threads beginning with "The Cooking and Cuisine of...." or Kevni's year-long regional cooking thread for 2005.

Currently, we're in Emilia-Romagnia where I give you Foodman's potato & chive stuffed tortellini.

In the Lombardian thread, there's a report of a birthday dinner (Feb. 25, so one of last posts) with two types of sweet fillings straight from Renaissance courts. In Sardegna's, stuffed pasta with bitter greens.

In the Cooking forum, there is an entire Cook-Off devoted to home-made pasta, including stuffed ones. Not all examples are called ravioli, or shaped and scaled like the ones your KA might make, but it shouldn't matter.

In the Dinner thread, you need to hang out a bit, or search for specific authors of postas. Shaya, for example, will contribute pictures of ones she's made with her children. Hathor posts gorgeous meals including stuffed pasta in this thread, sometimes, too. Ditto re Chufi, and more recently, Little Ms. Foodie back from a trip to Italy. There are more, but I'm mentioning four women whose stuffed pasta also appears in the Italian forum.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I also love a pumpkin or butternut squash filling with brown butter and sage. Try crushing an amaretti cookie or almond biscotti into the filling with a bit of ricotta. Or how about goat gouda with apple and a creamy white wine sauce?

jane

JANE

Thanks for all of these great suggestions, they all sound delicious. I'm going to Italy in October and plan to spend a good deal of time in Emilia-Romagna, so my interest in Italian cooking has been piqued.

In general, unless the ravioli has a really basic sort of cheese stuffing, I prefer to use a simple dressing such as lemon infused olive oil or sage and butter (of course the flavorings can be varied to suit the stuffing).

Not exotic, but my frequent fliers include - short rib, beet, and mushroom raviolis.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

I'm making ravioli this afternoon with confit of pheasant and quail legs; the breasts went into pheasant and morel pot pie posted by Carolyn Tillie--excellent, by the way! For saucing the ravioli, I am considering something with dried cherries or maybe the balsamic/butter mentioned earlier in this thread. Suggestions or alternatives are welcome. Thanks.

I ended up making two types of ravioli: pear and ricotta with a very light rosemary-infused cream sauce, and meat (ground chicken thighs, pancetta and proscuitto) which was supposed to be sauced with marinara. I say "supposed to be" because by the time I served the ravioli I had had several glasses of wine and I confused the meat-filled and the pear-filled ravioli, so I served the meat ones with the cream sauce. Oops! But my guests enjoyed them anyway (I wasn't drinking alone, you know!).

Both were delicious: the pear was very subtle and lovely with just a splash of cream sauce. One of my guests hates blue cheese, but I think just a bit in either the filling or the sauce would've been nice.

The meat-filled were very flavorful and hearty, almost like a delicious meatball incased in fresh pasta. The next day I tried a couple that were leftover with the marinara that was to be the sauce, and I think the cream sauce was better. The filling had such a bold flavor and the lighter sauce didn't compete.

I agree with those who posted saying that light sauces were best as they let the filling shine through.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone!

I need some suggestions for making filling for ravioli

The ingredients I have at hand are fresh ricotta and ready cooked leeks?

I would appreciate suggestions to combine leeks with other ingredients apart from the obvious cheese :biggrin:

Thanks

Hi everyone!

I need some suggestions for making filling for ravioli

The ingredients I have at hand are fresh ricotta and ready cooked leeks?

I would appreciate suggestions to combine leeks with other ingredients apart from the obvious cheese :biggrin:

Thanks

Count your blessings! Ricotta and ready-cooked leeks sound delicious. If you want to add a meaty note, throw in a little ground veal or ground pork, and vigorous nutmeg.Keep the meat component small but select. Fresh thyme, basil or rosemary will point up the flavors.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

The last ravioli I made were filled with shredded beets (both gold and red) and goat cheese, and sauced simply with butter, balsamic vinegar, and fresh lemon thyme.

One of my favorites (though a special-occasion treat) is to fill each raviolo by hand with a small raw egg yolk, and sauce it with a little black truffle (or truffle oil) and some fresh parmigiano.

Bloody transcendant.

Torren O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child

Thank you maggiethecat

I have also searched few Italian websites but could not find a filling that would satisfy my hunger except for some curious seafood then again not what I have in mind right now. I am just in for a slight variation of ingredients that will result in tasty ravioli.