• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crawfish

• 2 weeks later...
they are going to be expensive this year...get ready. between Ike and the recession...

I checked the sack price at "Your Dekalb Farmer's Market" here in Atlanta,

$1.54/lb

I asked them where they came from and they said "Louisiana".

Maybe I need to start buying them and shipping them back for $2.99/lb.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

Here in Shreveport live are selling for $2.29-$2.49lb. Cooked range from $2.49 lb. up to $3.99lb. We are planning on supper being 10 lbs of boiled. I hope they are bigger than what we got 3 weeks ago. We paid $4.59lb cooked for them then and they were some of the smallest crawfish I have ever seen.

RAHiggins1, I can't believe you are getting them so cheap in Atlanta. Lucky you.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

Here in Shreveport live are selling for $2.29-$2.49lb. Cooked range from $2.49 lb. up to $3.99lb. We are planning on supper being 10 lbs of boiled. I hope they are bigger than what we got 3 weeks ago. We paid $4.59lb cooked for them then and they were some of the smallest crawfish I have ever seen.

RAHiggins1, I can't believe you are getting them so cheap in Atlanta. Lucky you.

I'm not sure how the contracting works with Louisiana farmers and fishermen, but I'm thinking that somebody might be locked into a set price.

As for outragious local prices, my guess is large orders are filled and shipped first and there aren't many leftover.

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.