• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guilin Mifun (桂林米粉)

Ok if I was to be entirely honest, no I've never eaten this. Another truth, I didn't know of its existence until fairly recently.

All I do know is that it really captured my attention -must be the peanuts in the broth! Mmm! It's a little unusual looking from most Chinese noodle soups I've had/seen.

So has anyone ever tried this and even better, has anyone tried making it?

Details are mandatory!

Here's a picture from flickr for those who don't know what I'm talking about

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hecookssheeats/1192220116/

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

Guilin Mifen 桂林米粉 (Guilin rice noodles) is the most popular speciality of Guilin and surrounding district. In fact they can be found all over the province. Almost every street has a Mifen restaurant (shack) and they are very popular as a breakfast dish, although they can be eaten at any time. There is a 24 hour noodle shop at the end of the lane where I live.

They are spicy and very, very cheap.

They are not the only local noodle dish, however. I live in Liuzhou, 150km to the south of Guilin. Here, the speciality is Luosifen (螺蛳粉) , which is similar to Guilin Mifen but the soup stock is made from snails.

I've never known anyone to make Guilin Mifen at home. They are so easy to find and so cheap.

gallery_18452_4549_46545.jpg

LuoSiFen

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 3 months later...

Okay nobodys really replying but here's what I discovered:

"rice noodles blanched in boiling broth, then with seasoning spices, cured meat, suckling pig slices, scallions, peanuts and hot peppers."

It's not much of a 'discovery' but I think I might be on the road to cooking a new noodle soup!

Btw, I didn't know there were 'dry' versions of Guilin Mifun as well.

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

There was no reply for the simple reason that people never cook these at home and the small restaurants which sell them aren't about to publish their recipe. It is cheap, fast food. Even if they wanted to, they wouldn't have time.

As far as I can see, your picture doesn't show ingredients as such, but garnishes/condiments. The bowl in the corner with the noodles and pork is what you get. You are handed your bowl of noodles and then add the bits you prefer. I can't see clearly but it certainly includes chilli flakes, coriander (cilantro), pickled veg, peanuts etc.

The dry "version" is actually a different dish, often sold cold. There is an almost 24 hour Guilin Dry Noodle restaurant right outside my front door. I've only been once.

桂林干捞粉

They're not really dry. Just not in soup. I'll have some the next few days and take some pictures.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 6 years later...