• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bitter gelatin

pastrygirl

So I was working on a panna cotta recipe yesterday, and I was getting an odd, really bitter flavor. The first batch was cream, sugar, vanilla extract and yogurt, the flavor was off but I blamed the yogurt (which tasted fine on is own, but hey gotta blame something, maybe my proportions were off). The next batch I tasted before adding the yogurt or extract, so just cream, sugar, gelatin, and it was again really bitter. That was the last of the cream ( :angry: ahhh, Bhutanese accountants) so I stopped there and decided to make ricotta instead, and couldn't taste the cream on its own. The cream is UHT aseptically packaged shelf-stable, and although it is crap for other reasons, I haven't found off flavors in it yet.

So, does gelatin go bad? This stuff has been sitting in a really hot, humid kitchen for I don't know how long, maybe a year, possibly more. Everything else in this particular kitchen goes bad, so maybe sheet gelatin too? I kind of thought that stuff lasted forever.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

Your question interested me, so although I am no expert on the topic I did a little digging around. First, according to www.greatlakesgelatin.com

Gelatin should be stored in a cool, dry place.  This product can be kept for 3 years as long as containers are kept tightly closed.

And secondly, according to K. Thimann and A. Page, Chemical change in gelatin resulting from the method of storage. Biochem J 24(4); 1930:

It appears, therefore, that moist storage produces a gelatin chemically different from the normal dry-stored product.

So while neither of these directly explains the bitterness, they do both seem to indicate that a) gelatin is perishable in some sense, and b) that storage in a warm or moist environment will accelerate the degradation.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

• 2 years later...

I made Mango Jelly using Mango juice and unflavoured Gelatine. The jelly turned out fine but is tasting bitter. Can any one help and tell me what may be the reason. The gelatin I used is not too old and well before expiry date. Infact it was a new package that I had opened. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by aneja_r (log)

Could it be that the gelatine is adulterated in some way? Was it manufactured in China by any chance? :hmmm: My advice would be: stop using it.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”