• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Antonio Farmers Markets

pamjsa

Can anyone offer me some guidance toward good farmers markets in the San Antonio metro area? Since we don't have a large, centralized market, as Austin does, I'm wondering which of the many smaller markets in town are worth visiting. I live on the far northeast side but don't mind driving if it's worth the gas.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Okay, starting my own research here for anyone who might be interested . . .

I visited the farmer's market in the Rainbow Gardens parking lot this morning. Only two stands set up, but they were offering a wide assortment of offerings: red and yellow onions, red potatoes, all kinds of squash, green beans, peppers, plums, and tomatoes. I got four tomatoes, three onions and a big bag o' beans for $6--now that's a deal. Tomato and hummus sandwiches for lunch today. Mmmmmm. Green beans with dinner tonight.

Plus, it was nice to have an excuse to make the drive to Rainbow Gardens. That place is amazing! My son especially enjoyed the orange cat curled up in a puddle of sunshine near the front door.

Glad to see another San Antonian here on eGullet. I've only been to two in the area, neither of which are fantastic. But then again, while SA has always been home, I've spent the past several years in NYC and Berkeley. The latter, especially, is an oasis when it comes to farmers markets. But I digress...

The only farmers markets I've been to in the area are (1) Jackson-Keller near Basse and (2) the Bulverde farmers market. Both are pretty good from what I remember, but neither was amazing. I'll have to check out one of the Rainbow Gardens locations. Which location had the market you mention?

I'd love to discover some great farmers markets here in SA, but I must say, it sure does help that my mother is an avid gardener. In the back yard, we've got red onions, white onions, basil, thyme, dill, marjoram, oregano, rosemary, parsley, meyer lemons, limes, oranges, figs, limes, bay, bananas, cabbage, anaheim peppers, jalapeno peppers, serrano peppers, poblano peppers, blackberries, amaranth, winged beans, tree brush eggplant, ichiban eggplant, lemongrass, cherokee purple tomatoes, yellow teardrop tomatoes, beefheart tomatoes. Granted, not all of that grows at once, but I am a happy, happy guy pretty much all year.

• 10 months later...
Glad to see another San Antonio'an here on eGullet.  I've only been to two in the area, neither of which are fantastic.  But then again, while SA has always been home, I've spent the past several years in NYC and Berkeley.  The latter, especially, is an oasis when it comes to farmers markets.  But I digress...

The only farmers markets I've been to in the area are (1) Jackson-Keller near Basse and (2) the Bulverde farmers market.  Both are pretty good from what I remember, but neither was amazing.  I'll have to check out one of the Rainbow Gardens locations.  Which location had the market you mention?

I'd love to discover some great farmers markets here in SA, but I must say, it sure does help that my mother is an avid gardener.  In the back yard, we've got red onions, white onions, basil, thyme, dill, marjoram, oregano, rosemary, parsley, meyer lemons, limes, oranges, figs, limes, bay, bananas, cabbage, anaheim peppers, jalapeno peppers, serrano peppers, poblano peppers, blackberries, amaranth, winged beans, tree brush eggplant, ichiban eggplant, lemongrass, cherokee purple tomatoes, yellow teardrop tomatoes, beefheart tomatoes.  Granted, not all of that grows at once, but I am a happy, happy guy pretty much all year.

:laugh:

Isn't it great to be from San Antonio!!!! I have lived here all of my life and hope that I will be able to financially stay here for years to come. It's hard to tell these days...

I recommend the Farmers Market on Saturday's at

Olmos Basin Park: Jackson-Keller Road, between McCullough & San Pedro

Go early, bring cash and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

There is now a huge Saturday market at the old Pearl Brewery (starting at 9 a.m. and open year-round)! I went last weekend and found beautiful vegetables, fresh peaches, strawberries and blackberries, as well as fresh-baked sourdough bread and locally made honeys and jams. Farm-raised tilapia was also available, along with grass-fed beef and bison. You can check out the website at www.pearlfarmersmarket.com.

It was really, really crowded last weekend, but I suspect that was due to recent coverage in the San Antonio newspaper. In any case, I'm glad to see that San Antonio is trying to support a large, centralized farmer's market!