• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Defunct Manhattan Cafeteria

BeefCheeks

Does anyone out there remember the name of the now-defunct "cafeteria" located somewhere on Park Avenue South---it was there from the 40s through the late 70s, a real greasy spoon and favored by cabbies.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

BeefCheeks is an author, editor, and food journalist.

"The food was terrible. And such small portions...."

--Alvy Singer

Ahhh, yes, the Belmore...I remember it from my cab driving days in the early to mid '70s. If I recall correctly, they had a ticket system similar to Katz's - that is, you got a ticket as you entered, which was marked up according to what you ate - and then you paid on the way out...if you lost your ticket, you owed the max!

Another of our favorite cabbie hangouts was on 78th and Lex - SE corner and now, fittingly, a Starbucks. I think it might have been called Lenny's, or perhaps Lenny worked the grill, it's a little bit hazy at this point. But, it was a long counter with stools and no tables. You could get a London Broil dinner, soup, bread, a nice portion of beef, mashed potatoes, dessert, etc. for about $3 or $4.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Not on Park Avenue South, but when I was a kid in the 70's, I would occasionally come into Manhattan with my father and go to work with him, and it was a novelty for me to go to Dubrow's Cafeteria in the Garment District. My sister and I loved that you could literally pick out your own food.

Ahhh, yes, the Belmore...I remember it from my cab driving days in the early to mid '70s.  If I recall correctly, they had a ticket system similar to Katz's - that is, you got a ticket as you entered, which was marked up according to what you ate - and then you paid on the way out...if you lost your ticket, you owed the max!

Another of our favorite cabbie hangouts was on 78th and Lex - SE corner and now, fittingly, a Starbucks.  I think it might have been called Lenny's, or perhaps Lenny worked the grill, it's a little bit hazy at this point.  But, it was a long counter with stools and no tables.  You could get a London Broil dinner, soup, bread, a nice portion of beef, mashed potatoes, dessert, etc. for about $3 or $4.

The great scenes from Taxi Driver with DeNiro and Peter Boyle were filmed in, and on the sidewalk outside of, the Belmore. And weinoo, you're thinking of Kay's. Lenny was the grill man (I think). Lot of Lennie's back then.

Another of our favorite cabbie hangouts was on 78th and Lex - SE corner and now, fittingly, a Starbucks.  I think it might have been called Lenny's, or perhaps Lenny worked the grill, it's a little bit hazy at this point.  But, it was a long counter with stools and no tables.  You could get a London Broil dinner, soup, bread, a nice portion of beef, mashed potatoes, dessert, etc. for about $3 or $4.

The great scenes from Taxi Driver with DeNiro and Peter Boyle were filmed in, and on the sidewalk outside of, the Belmore. And weinoo, you're thinking of Kay's. Lenny was the grill man (I think). Lot of Lennie's back then.

You talkin' to me? Sorry - couldn't resist and you're absolutely correct, Miami Danny - Kay's it was, and Lenny was the "grill" man - the guy could put together a London broil dinner in a Manhattan minute. Funny thing is, the side street (E. 78th) was a taxi stand - and it still is, though I'm pretty sure that not many cabbies go to Starbucks - other than to use the restrooms :wink: .

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?