• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Outdoor/Patio Dining in Area Restos

rhubarbd

For an upcoming column for The North Jersey Media Group/Montclair Times, I'd be interested in hearing about some of your favorite places with the nicest gardens and/or patio spaces. Montclair, Nutley, Cedar Grove, Bloomfield etc. Or do you think al fresco dining is overrated? Thanks!

Mompou, a tapas bar in Ironbound, has a fantastic cloistered garden in the back. It can get a little noisy and cramped, though.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

I like al fresco dining, but not when I'm going to inhale car fumes (i.e. the tables out in front of Tuptim or most in NYC). The patio in the back of Joe Bartoni's in Montclair is lovely-and there are umbrellas, so you're not sitting in direct sun (unless you choose to)...and you can have a sandwich or a full meal-whatever you're in the mood for. Chairs there are also fairly comfortable-something I can't say about most places. My favorite local al fresco dining over the last few summers is probably a BYO picnic at OSPAC in West Orange once they start their weekly concerts!

More than anything, I miss the huge screened-in patio of my youth (complete w/hammock and grill)...we used the grill year-round, the patio itself from March-October. SIGH.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Off the top of my head -- Rebecca's in Edgewater. Check out some of the other posts/threads on the place.

Eric

PS -- sorry, didn't see your geographic restrictions.

Edited by ELA (log)

I would like to add David Drake to the group of patio dining. I know it's not in the towns you mentioned but it is a very nice outdoor space with a different patio menu and wonderful summer drinks. It's in the back of the restaurant, not on the street, so it is very quiet and casual!!!! I'm sorry if I sound like an advertisement. :biggrin: That was not my intention!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a person who LOVES outdoor dining so I'm always looking for new places to go! I hope others will add more to the list. I know this topic has been brought up before but it's always good to revisit it, this time of the year!!

Lori

Cafe Matisse in Rutherford has a very nice outdoor patio in the rear of the restaurant.

You beat me to it, Cafe Matisse is a great place for fine dining in the summer. They have a few cozy tables in a planty patio setting, but a trip here will cost you some $$$$ too. Make sure you reserve a seat outside before you go, they are always booked when the patio is open.

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

You probably know about this already, but we recently had coffee and dessert in the back garden of the newish Gencarelli's on Bloomfield in Montclair. Very peaceful. Of course, that may have been because we literally were the only people there. Still, it's pleasant back there. Not sure I'd ever opt for a table outside on Bloomfield Ave.