• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2008 James Beard Awards: results, discussion

Fat Guy

This year, for the first time, those who aren't able to attend the ceremony will be able to watch live video of the James Beard awards on the new Devour.tv website. David Rosengarten will be hosting the broadcast, interviewing the nominees as they walk down the red carpet. And he will be covering the press room after the awards to interview the winners. Coverage will be broadcast on www.Devour.tv starting at 9 PM EST this Sunday.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

In addition, there will be live blogging, as per this announcement we just received:

In coordination with Chris and Jennifer McBride of Savorycities.com, the Foundation has invited six guest food bloggers and industry notables to document the behind-the-scenes activities and poignant moments of the evening, beginning with highlights of red carpet arrivals all the way through to the post-event celebrations.

During the Awards Ceremony, beginning at 6:00pm EST, www.jamesbeard.org will be posting winners as they are announced, interspersed with interviews with the winners and presenters, video of red carpet arrivals, and other commentary from the guest bloggers. Following the ceremony, the Gala Reception will be documented live, with reactions to the results by winners and attendees, as well as interviews with the chefs cooking at the gala and photos of al the dishes being served.  The following day, the bloggers will also post images, videos, and stories recapping the evening’s festivities and late-night fêtes.

The James Beard Foundation’s official Awards Ceremony and Gala Reception guest bloggers are:

·                    Nick Kindelsperger & Blake Royer

The Paupered Chef

http://www.thepauperedchef.com

·                    Jennifer Leuzzi

Snack

http://www.snack.blogs.com

·                    Tyler Colman

Dr. Vino

http://www.drvino.com

·                    Julie Powell

Julie & Julia

http://juliepowell.blogspot.com

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

We just received an announcement of the media awards winners:

·        MFK Fisher Distinguished Writing Award: Junot Diaz, Gourmet, “He’ll Take El Alto” (9/07)

·        Multimedia Writing on Food: Josh Ozersky and Daniel Maurer, NYmag.com’s Grub Street Blog

·        Website Focusing on Food, Beverage, Restaurant or Nutrition: Epicurious.com, Tanya Steel

·        Food Related Columns: Corby Kummer, The Atlantic, “The Rise of the Sardine,” “The Art of Aging Well,” The Magic Brewing Machine” (7-8/07, 11/07, 12/07)

·        Reporting on Nutrition or Food-Related Consumer Issues: Peter Jaret, Eating Well Magazine, “The Search for the Anti-Aging Diet” (11-12/07)

·        Restaurant Reviews: Brad A. Johnson, Angeleno, “Hampton’s,” “Sona,” “The Penthouse” (3/07, 4/07, 5/07)

·        Newspaper Feature Writing with Recipes: Katy McLaughlin, The Wall Street Journal, “A New Taste Sensation” (12/8/07)

·        Newspaper Feature Writing Without Recipes: David Leite, The New York Times, “In a ’64 T-Bird Chasing a Date With a Clam” (8/29/07)

·        Writing on Spirits, Wine or Beer: David Darlington, Wine & Spirits Magazine, “Postmodern Deliciousness: The World According to Clark Smith” (4/07)

·        Magazine Feature Writing About Restaurants and/or Chefs: Howie Kahn, GQ, “The Wandering Chef” (6/07)

·        Magazine Feature Writing with Recipes: Betty Fussell, Saveur, “American Prime” (6-7/07)

·        Magazine Feature Writing Without Recipes: Manny Howard, New York Magazine, “My Empire of Dirt” (9/17/07)

·        Newspaper Feature Writing About Restaurants and/or Chefs: Brett Anderson, The Times-Picayune, “Landmark Decisions: A Five-Part Series Chronicling the Ruin and Restoration of a Classic New Orleans Restaurant” (9/2/07-9/6/07)

·        Television Food Show, National or Local: Gourmet’s Diary of a Foodie; Host: Ruth Reichl

·        Television Food Special: Top Chef Holiday Special; Hosts: Tom Collicchio and Padma Lakshmi

·        Television Food Segment, National or Local: The Victory Garden; Host: Michel Nischan

·        Radio Food Show: The Splendid Table; Host: Lynne Rossetto Kasper

·        Webcast: Stewards of the Land; Hosts: Jay Selman, Brian Clark, Eric Anderson

Congratulations to Chef Grant Achatz for winning the Outstanding chef, Gramercy Tavern for Restaurant of the Year and Central Michel Richard for New Restaurant of the Year!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Am I the only one who can't access the video?

No luck here either.

A full list of the winners can be found here. There were a few surprises and a few personal disappointments. Outstanding Chef was a particularly tough field with three personal favorites up for it. I am happy for Chef Achatz. I can only hope and expect that my other two favorites, Chefs Andres and Barber will be back up for it again next year. I have not had the food of Chefs Goin or Stitt, but have only heard enough positives to expect them back as well.

Congratulations to all the winners and the nominees! Being nominated is itself being a winner.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz