• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help me have a good time...

Becca Porter

I have lived in Northeast Louisiana my whole life. I have visited Nola about 7-8 times, I have always loved it. I really haven't been though since I really cared about food. I have never ate at any of the great places.

Here's the deal. I may be having major surgery in Nola next year. I would be staying there for over three weeks. During most of that time I will either be in the hospital or in a suite recovering (bedridden). I am hoping to have my husband bring some great local food to me.

Before that time though, I will be going with my husband for the consultation. I am hoping to spend a night or two there. (We are thinking of staying at the Monteleone. Unless, you all tell me it is a bit run-down and you would stay ___.)

I would really like to go out to eat someplace nice one night. Where ever has the best food. I know that could be a number of places, but I need direction. I would also love a good brunch, and a few local casual places with good eats. Please help me, it will also be our 10 year anniversary celebration.

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com

I just got back from my first visit and I'm no expert.

I'll tell you what I liked:

Arnaud's. Not considered one of the top-line restaurants, but it was my experience that many of the highly rated restaurants were highly overrated. I liked the wait staff in particular, they made lovely recommendations. I like to ask for recommendations and I HATE it when I get bad ones or half-hearted ones. I had a dessert that was a very light crepe, filled with cream cheese and rolled into a tube about the size of your finger. Covered with a brown sugar/butter/pecan sauce and with whipped cream on the side. Would never have chosen this from the menu, the waitress recommended it, and it was divine. An amazing taste and texture. I liked the physical space very much. Open, airy, classic New Orleans.

Nola. I was suprised by this. I wasn't crazy about the atmosphere but the service was very nice and the food was exceptional. I had fried chicken served on a bed of mashed sweet potato with (again) a brown sugar/pecan flavor in there. The mixture of the crispy texture with the smooth mashed swee' taters, the mixture of the sweet and the salty was just divine. Loved it.

I would have loved to have tried Bayona.

I have been in the Monteleone ground floor, not the rooms -- I can't spead for them. The location is right and the hotel is nice -- home to the famous carousel bar that does indeed spin as you drink. I did not care for my Sazerac there. Arnaud's made a superior Sazerac.

Have a happy anniversary!

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.