• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corton (Formerly Montrachet)

flinflon28

Just had dinner at Corton last week for the third time. Does anyone even go to this place anymore. The room was about at 25% filled at 8pm. It seem as if Liebrandt has lost his touch. This meal was by far the worst I have had there.

When I told my server that I was having a bad meal she said she was sorry but the kitchen was going through a tough time of late. There was some new people there. The fact that there are some new faces there is no reason that I should have to suffer. If I have to pay full price for a meal like this then Mr. Paul Liebrandt and crew better get there shit together. The food took forever to come out. It was all cold. Some item were overly salty. The garden used to much better from what I remember. The food just seemed dull no life to it. On the positive side of things the service was good and the wine service was excellent.

Just had dinner at Corton last week for the third time. Does anyone even go to this place anymore. The room was about at 25% filled at 8pm. It seem as if Liebrandt has lost his touch. This meal was by far the worst I have had there.

Corton has always paced its reservation book, so that the kitchen wouldn't get hammered. I would be very surprised if business has suddenly dried up.

Of course, I totally agree that if there has been a lot of kitchen turnover, that is no excuse for serving a meal as poor as you have described.

I was there on a Monday a few weeks ago and it was a mostly empty restaurant through until I left, past 8. Of course opentable still didn't show tables available past 6pm for that day, which made no sense to me. That has now changed it seems, tomorrow they are showing tables for 2 at 7, 7:15 and 8:15.

The flavors didn't really click with me, but I couldn't fault anything as lacking in effort or technique - both were very high, lot's of work went into the food, and I must have tasted close to 100 distinct items.

If you like this place, seems now is the time to show some support.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I haven't dined at Corton in about a year and a half. Tonight's dinner was so great that I may become a "regular". Service was friendly and attentive. Bread choices (8 of them) were excellent. Two choices of butter: sweet and a delicious seaweed flavored butter. Both butters were replenished without request. We had the 7 course Summer Tasting menu for $115. Even though when I called the restaurant to ask whether the menu posted on their website was current, the person to whom I spoke said the on-line menu is merely representative, the actual menu matched the on-line menu. Thank goodness since the on-line menu sounded delicious, and it was! We asked to substitute the maple dessert from the 12 course tasting for the listed chocolate dessert since maple is one of my favorite flavors. I loved all of the courses. The only sad part was that there were only 4 tables occupied during our early dinner from 6 - 8. Hope it filled in later. One point to note: Corton imposes a $50 per person cancellation charge for weekend reservations cancelled with less than 48 hours notice. Maybe that is keeping some people away. Maybe the threat of bad storms kept people away, but we lucked out with surprising sunshine! Nice touch is that our captain left a copy of the menu on our table. At the bottom of the menu was a nice note: "Please feel free to take this card home with you"--no need to take notes during dinner. Nice selection of amuses and mignardises. Also a small take home gift. No problem making nice menu adjustments for my sister's "no pork" restriction.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't dined at Corton in about a year and a half. Tonight's dinner was so great that I may become a "regular". Service was friendly and attentive. Bread choices (8 of them) were excellent. Two choices of butter: sweet and a delicious seaweed flavored butter. Both butters were replenished without request. We had the 7 course Summer Tasting menu for $115. Even though when I called the restaurant to ask whether the menu posted on their website was current, the person to whom I spoke said the on-line menu is merely representative, the actual menu matched the on-line menu. Thank goodness since the on-line menu sounded delicious, and it was! We asked to substitute the maple dessert from the 12 course tasting for the listed chocolate dessert since maple is one of my favorite flavors. I loved all of the courses. The only sad part was that there were only 4 tables occupied during our early dinner from 6 - 8. Hope it filled in later. One point to note: Corton imposes a $50 per person cancellation charge for weekend reservations cancelled with less than 48 hours notice. Maybe that is keeping some people away. Maybe the threat of bad storms kept people away, but we lucked out with surprising sunshine! Nice touch is that our captain left a copy of the menu on our table. At the bottom of the menu was a nice note: "Please feel free to take this card home with you"--no need to take notes during dinner. Nice selection of amuses and mignardises. Also a small take home gift. No problem making nice menu adjustments for my sister's "no pork" restriction.

Is it possible to substitute another sister, who does eat pork? ;)

• 1 month later...

I'm glad to hear the recent positive review above. I was a fan of Liebrandt' food when he was at gilt but must say I was rather disappointed in my only visit to corton several years ago. I was wondering what other people have experienced lately and if its time for another try.