• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Divided aliginate spherification

ermintrude

Strawberry and cream

First attempt at making a sodium alginate sphere containing different contents in each half

gallery_40513_6035_25572.jpg

Reverse sperification half stawberry puree half cream

Edited by ermintrude (log)

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Sorry I didn't take pictures of the process but this is how I did it.

Make a strawberry puree + calcium gluconate and put into small hemispherical moulds I used one like this silicone mould

Do the same with cream and calcium gluconate.

Freeze. While it freezing make up a sodim alginate solution leave to rest in the fridge.

When the hemispheres are frozen take out of the freezer.

Make up a 5% solution of calcium chloride (you could use gluconate) and using a paint brush paint the top 'flat' part of each hemesphere with the solution while still in the mold.

Then take a little of the alginate solution (note put this is a small cup as if you contaminate the rest of the solution with calcium it will start to gell) and using a pastry pastry bush paint the top of ONE of the cream hemispheres (be generous with the alginate and leave it in the mould). Then pop out a frozen strawberty hemisphere and place on top of the cream hemisphere.

The aim here is that the warm alginate solution will just melt the top layer of the hemisphere and react with the calcium to create a thing layer of 'jelly' putting the strawberry hemisphere on top will do the same resulting in layer of solidified alginate between the two hemispheres separating and sticking them together.

You should end up with a bunch of spheres, half in the mould half out.

Refreeze

When frozen take each sphere out of the mould and drop in the chilled alginate solution this will then form a layer of alginate over the outside of the sphere that links to the layer of alginate between the hemispheres.

By the time the spheres have defrosted they should be 'cooked' and can be taken out of the alginate and rinsed.

First attempt got about 50% usable the others had to much leakage between the halves.

Nice. It seems that the next generation of spherification techniques is starting to show up. between this and what the Adrias are doing this year at elBulli, the level of complexity and sophistication apears to have increased dramatically. I would love to see the strawberries and cream done with a yin-yang design! :cool:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I would love to see the strawberries and cream done with a yin-yang design! :cool:

You tease, n ow you've got me thinking - could it be done .......

Ok first thoughts - you'd need a mould to get the wave of the yin - yang (or some carving of hemispheres) but also still retain the sphere shape when the halves are put together. An alginate barrier would not be stiff enough to hold the wave so perhaps painting layers with Gellan or possibly Agar Agar to build a barrier between the two halves could let it keep the wave shape (But then a stiff gel in a sphere may not make good eating)

Anyone else have any ideas ?

Edited by ermintrude (log)

I didn't say that it would be easy :laugh: It is apparent though that the boundaries of this technique are just starting to be explored. I like the way you think. :cool:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

What about a sphere made of liquids which are either immiscible (say, oil and vinegar) or which have different densities? It could make for a cool effect, especially if the two "halves" are able to move around within the sphere. Perhaps this has already been done?

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com