• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Puree, Mashed Potatoes, Pommes

Fat Guy

Right you are, Wuggie. I'll go say goodnight to my friends on the UK board and then stagger off to bed.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

edit:  somehow my post seems less effective with the image of fat guy's suggestion racing through my head.

WHy do you not volunteer to demonstrate for me what FG suggests one does with Mashed Potatoes.

Maybe you can race while doing the Demo. :cool:

as anyone who knows me will tell you, i have no problem with walking around nekid. i will certainly consider fat guy's idea, at his home, if he'll have me.

butter. salt.  cream.  i mean, what's there not to like?

roasted garlic?  c'mon! chives?  cilantro?  basil?  chopmeat?  au jus?  rosemary?  all at once for that matter. :wacko:

Those are the ones I have usually eaten.

I would rather eat potatoes in other ways.

Potato cake cooked in duck fat.... Yummmmmmmm :raz:

as anyone who knows me will tell you, i have no problem with walking around nekid.  i will certainly consider fat guy's idea, at his home,  if he'll have me.

Did FG make any reference to walking around Naked??? I did not catch that. Us ethnic types can be sloooooow!

Well if that is the case, I guess you would be the person doing the DEMO. I have heard the story about you.. and why you of all people can run around naked... Without doing much harm.

Now that you have spilled the beans... I can come on out and sympathise with you publicly.

You are as usual, very generous... to offer.. I am sure FG would be more than happy to host the event. :rolleyes:

Oh, it's true, what Suvir is saying, mashed potatoes are not the most fascinating dish in the universe. However, as Suvir himself certainly knows, people REALLY like them, and so cooks are behooven to make them from time to time.

What I have done sometimes that is good is part of a continued exploration of the deconstructed this and that, in this case the baked-potato-with-everything, i.e., cooked, bacon, sour cream, chives, after the carefully mashed (riced is best) potatoes are seasoned and nominally creamed and buttered as per usual. Other good variations, too, are possible.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

...mashed potatoes are not the most fascinating dish in the universe.  However, as Suvir himself certainly knows, people REALLY like them...

this seems like a dichotomy of sorts, no?

no, they are not the "most fascinating" dish in the world. but they are universally loved, for the most part. raw tuna isn't fascinating either, but no one needs to defend it. why am i finding myself defending mashed spuds?

i need a new t-shirt and a nap.

:blink:

No no no, Tommy, you needn't defend mashed potatoes. They just ARE. Are themselves. No rip intended, on my part! I love how people love them! It's primal, or nearly so, I swear, the reaction people have to mashed potatoes. Raw tuna is not so far off too, as you suggest, I mean, it is so itself. Perfection, unto itself.

Anyways, WHAT do you think of the deconstructed baked-potato-with-everything? I mean, TALK about parcels of flavor! Dinners guests weep, which is of course one's objective. And, the chives in there look cute.

Priscilla

no, they are not the "most fascinating" dish in the world.  but they are universally loved, for the most part.  raw tuna isn't fascinating either, but no one needs to defend it.  why am i finding myself defending mashed spuds? 

i need a new t-shirt and a nap.

:blink:

I think it may be the need of the hour.. or of the thread...

The universe has shrunk first to be revolving around what we in the US love.. or maybe we in the west....

But if you wear your T-shirt and take a nap... the universe can be all yours and in your control.. and no worries Tommy.. it will be just as you want it to be.

But seriously do you really think the universe even knows what this dish is? Or even cares about it as much as we do?

There are those things that I love that the universe at large may have no reason to appreciate. But that does not make my favorites universally loved do they.

And Tommy, I have and will and want to ... try and love Mashed Potatoes. I try very hard.. for I love potatoe more than I love any vegetable or food. But Mashed Potatoes just do nothing for me.

Anyways, WHAT do you think of the deconstructed baked-potato-with-everything?  I mean, TALK about parcels of flavor!  Dinners guests weep, which is of course one's objective.  And, the chives in there look cute.

I have never understood Baked Potatoes either. My sister, who I am visiting in Dallas, loves both Mashed Potatoes and Baked Potatoes.

Maybe if I were to eat them as you describe, I would understand them better. I make both of these for friends when I entertain. But still, I am no fan of either. And I do not need to love every dish in the world.

But I do find the Baked Potato Ice cream at Cow Girl Hall of Fame very American and very curious. It comes looking like the Baked Potato you describe. But every garnish is simply dessert. :shock:

No no no, Tommy, you needn't defend mashed potatoes.  They just ARE.  Are themselves.  No rip intended, on my part!  I love how people love them!  It's primal, or nearly so, I swear, the reaction people have to mashed potatoes.  Raw tuna is not so far off too, as you suggest, I mean, it is so itself.  Perfection, unto itself.

Anyways, WHAT do you think of the deconstructed baked-potato-with-everything?  I mean, TALK about parcels of flavor!  Dinners guests weep, which is of course one's objective.  And, the chives in there look cute.

oh silly priscilly. my rant wasn't directed towards you. i was just defending my good friend, the mashed potato. :)

how about chilis? yeah, chilis.

twice baked. oh man.

No no no, Tommy, you needn't defend mashed potatoes.  They just ARE.  Are themselves.  No rip intended, on my part!  I love how people love them!  It's primal, or nearly so, I swear, the reaction people have to mashed potatoes

I agree with this and I respect it. In fact when I see friends and family enjoy them... I can cry.. for in their faces.. I see such bliss.. it is infectious. Now only if I could get infected with the bug that makes you enjoy them that much. :raz:

oh silly priscilly.  my rant wasn't directed towards you.  i was just defending my good friend, the mashed potato. :)

how about chilis?  yeah, chilis. 

twice baked.  oh man.

And just when I thought you had fallen asleep.. you are up again....

Chilis....hmm.... see... maybe I just need to enjoy them some place new... and with all the best things that go with them.. maybe there is hope for me.

And just when I thought you had fallen asleep.. you are up again....

Chilis....hmm.... see... maybe I just need to enjoy them some place new... and with all the best things that go with them.. maybe there is hope for me.

i'm in CA. it's still "early". :cool:

For real?

Have fun.. what part of CA?

Yeah, definitely, chilis, and maybe at times tomatoes, diced, and bacon, cooked. Maybe some kinda cheese. People will WEEP, guaranteed.

Oi!!! Isn't it like, um, nearly dawn, where you are? Get some sleep, dream dreams of great snowy drafts of mashed potato punctuated by savory inclusions like fresh jalapenos, diced (cooked) bacon, tubular chives, grating cheese. And then get up tomorrow and do it all again!

Also while sleeping let's think up a name to replace "twice-baked"; something long overdue, don't you agree?

Priscilla

(Is there anyone else here in CA.?)

I too have a fondness for mashed potatoes. I don't think that I found a type of potato that I don't like, but it may exist.

I like using a ricer to mash them, although I sometimes do the smash 'em, chunky style. Cubes of mozzerella which get stringy and soft are good to throw in. I've done it with mozz. and small pieces of a spicy salami. Creme Fraiche for a rich creamy version.

I usual throw garlic cloves in while I'm boiling the potatoes, just a handful, not a NECKLACE. Wonderful comfort food.

What types of potatoes do people think make the best mashed potatoes?

In past years, I always used something like peeled idaho russets, but more recently have been using yukon gold potatotes (which seems to make them more buttery..or maybe it's illusionary), or red potatoes for red jacket mashers, which are kind of chunky.

I also always used to use white pepper, but now used fresh ground black pepper...don't mind the specks of black anymore.

Depending upon the type of mashers that you want, yukon gold are generally the most reliable.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM