• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jmacnaughtan

jmacnaughtan

14 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Good thoughts.   Potatoes do have pectin.

I tried again last night ...cooked 20 minutes. Still a little chunky even with a more vigorous mashing.  There is something going on here.

If it is to do with the calcium, you may have to cook them for a lot longer.  Here, the water is really hard, so I end up simmering potatoes for a long time.  My mashed potatoes were no good at all until I started properly cooking them for at least 30-45 minutes, until I can no longer pick them up by spearing them with a knife.

jmacnaughtan

jmacnaughtan

10 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Good thoughts.   Potatoes do have pectin.

I tried again last night ...cooked 20 minutes. Still a little chunky even with a more vigorous mashing.  There is something going on here.

If it is to do with the calcium, you may have to cook them for a lot longer.  Here, the water is really hard, so I end up simmering potatoes for along time.  My mashed potatoes were no good at all until I started properly cooking them for at least 30-45 minutes, until I can no longer pick them up by spearing them with a knife.