• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite British Restaurants

One of my personal faves is Hipping Hall. I save going back there for a treat, saying that its been a while now. I really like the Brown horse at Winster for somewhere less formal.

I remember having a good meal at Haldanes in Edinburgh about 5 years ago, not so much food or service, just had a really good time. Sigh, seems ages ago now.

How close to Kirkby Lonsdale is Hipping Hall? and presumably they serve lunch?

It looks really nice but I seem to remember reading someone here say it screams 'give us a star'. I think Jason Birkbeck is the son of my Mother's friend and I can remember her going on about his training. I'd love to try his food now.

Just past Kirkby towards Skipton, about 10mins down road. I've never had a bad experience there, faultless service, beautiful food, lovely surroundings. It deserves/wants a star no more or less then a few places I can think of.

As far as I know, they only do a Sunday Lunch.

Edited by spanielking (log)

Just past Kirkby towards Skipton, about 10mins down road. I've never had a bad experience there, faultless service, beautiful food, lovely surroundings. It deserves/wants a star no more or less then a few places I can think of.

As far as I know, they only do a Sunday Lunch.

they do sunday lunch but they are open sunday nights and its a great package the rooms are good and andrew runs a great relaxed service with the wines well priced and the list is building stronger every time i see it, very highly sugggest it for you to visit

It certainly has its fans the wine crowd on wine pages certainly like it, i didn't dislike it but found the tasting menu a fairly standard 'give us a star' menu lacking personality it could have been anywhere, ALC might be the way to go.

you don't win friends with salad