• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food at the New Roma Airport (FCO)

Chris Amirault

There's a Tazza D'Oro in the international departures area.  I wonder if they have granita di caffe there?  I never asked; but if they do, get that.

I don't think they have the granita at the Tazza in the departures area - but they do sell the beans - Chris, can you pick me up a kilo or two :biggrin: ?

We usually have a panini or two, but the food is really not that special - better off bringing something with you and eating it there...or do as Judith says.

I also think there is a wine bar, but it may be in the domestic terminal.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

If you have enough time, take a cab into the town of Fiumicino. There's a bunch of good restaurants, pizza, seafood. It's actually a pretty fun town.

See, I hated Fiumicino when we were there. Cab drivers refused to take us into the town since they wanted the more lucrative Rome fares. Then the one who did "got lost" and drove us in circles around town until dropping us off at our hotel which was literally in visible distance of the airport.

So I wouldn't risk it and fill up instead maybe in Rome before hitting the airport.

Perhaps mediocre airport food in Italy will hold some magical appeal.... :hmmm:

You'd be surprised how good a meal at Spizzico or Autogrill can taste during a layover :laugh:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Perhaps mediocre airport food in Italy will hold some magical appeal.... :hmmm:

You'd be surprised how good a meal at Spizzico or Autogrill can taste during a layover :laugh:

Yes, when I stop over in Fiumicino I have a light meal at Autogrill or the other chain (not Spizzico, is it MyChef?) whose name I forget. Obviously it's not haute cuisine, or even haute trattoria, but as far as airport food is concerned it's quite OK. You can have very decent quality pork chops grilled on the spot, for example (and at a resonable price). Let's say it bears at least as much resemblance to proper Italian food as Yo Sushi in Gatwick bears to proper Japanese.

The coffee is also excellent (I miss a good&cheap Roman espresso so much both in Trento and London, where I mostly live...).

I was just there on Monday. I wasn't too impressed with what was available in any terminal (and they all seem to have similar stores available). In the international terminal C, there was a pub and a wine bar. Needing something a lot more substantial, we opted for the self-service cafeteria, which is up an escalator.

It was actually good! Ok, so everything was prepared already, but the veal saltimbocca hit the spot, and you can't go wrong with fresh mozzarella and tomatoes. The pasta was underwhelming, but the grilled zucchini was good. Had I known they had one, I would've warmed it up in the microwave that was available.

It wasn't gourmet by any means, but it hit the spot after some bad lunch choices over the previous week.

Edited by Reignking (log)

I'm a frequent flyer out of FCO and think the food options are appalling. If I had several hours to kill that included a mealtime, I would take a taxi to the superb restaurant Pascucci al Porticciolo, which is in the town of Fiumicino but not on the main drag. +39-06.65029204, Viale Traiano, 85, Fiumicino RM. There are other decent places to have the more or less standard menu, but this is a real standout for light-as-a-feather creative seafood cooking. I try to arrange my returns from visits to NYC for late morning on Saturday or Sunday -- that way Franco will meet me and we go directly to lunch at Pascucci. If the plane is early (it happens), we take a walk along the canal and see the fish vendors.

As for taxi difficulty, it's generally a good idea to find where you're going on a Google or similarly detailed map, print it out, and show it to the taxi driver at the first sign of hesitation. The same holds even if you just want to be dropped in a general area. You should have a cellphone and the phone number of the restaurant, especially if you haven't been able to get the map. In case of real difficulty, dial the number and hand the phone to the driver. I know I sound like I'm equipping an expedition to Ultima Thule, but I live here, speak the language fluently, and still never leave the house for dinner without, phone, map, and the coordinates of alternative restaurants in case something goes wrong.

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Can't you get San Crispino gelato at FCO? If I were stuck there for a layover on the way to Thailand, I'd certainly be tempted to get a pint or two packed for travel--when you're stuck in the air in a metal tube, some hazelnut or cicciolato fondente might do wonders. Or you could just sit in the middle of the concourse and eat it all with a spoon!