• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican Bay Scallops

Batard

I was at my local Fresh Fields (a variant of Whole Foods) today, and saw that they had fresh "Mexican bay scallops" at an amazing $6.99 a pound. They are "in season". The fishmonger said they were fresh, dry scallops when I asked, and they sure look like it. Has anyone ever heard of this seasonal variety before? I tried searching the I'net, and came up empty. And I have not seen them anywhere else.

Any info on this variety would be welcome. Thanks. :)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

I was at my local Fresh Fields (a variant of Whole Foods) today, and saw that they had fresh "Mexican bay scallops" at an amazing $6.99 a pound. They are "in season". The fishmonger said they were fresh, dry scallops when I asked, and they sure look like it. Has anyone ever heard of this seasonal variety before? I tried searching the I'net, and came up empty. And I have not seen them anywhere else.

Any info on this variety would be welcome. Thanks. :)

That is pretty cheap. Are the in shell? If not, I would be suspicious as I can't think of any place in Mexico where the water is cold enough for bay scallops. On the Pacific coast they are not very prolific south of Monterey, CA. And the Atlantic variety are also in the colder, northern waters.

Now if they were from Canada, it might be more reasonable.

I have been told, by friends who live in Mexico, that there is a thriving business in creating "scallops" from skate and other rays.

I phoned someone who should know about these and he emailed me this quote:

There are also calico scallops which are fished in warmer water off the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf coasts, as well as in Central and South America. Less sweet than the bay scallops, there are some unscrupulous fish stores that sell them as bay scallops. To shuck calico scallops, the shell must be steamed to loosen the muscle's grip on the shell. They are the tiniest of the scallops, and it is difficult to keep them tender.
Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett