• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sichuan Spring's Chongqing Spicy Chicken

alwang

Normally, I wouldn't think that a single dish would merit its own thread, but people need to know about this fiendishly habit-forming dish at Sichuan Spring in Highland Park/Edison. The restaurant is a pretty good Sichuan option for central NJ, though it's not as consistent as a place like Chengdu 1 in north Jersey. However, they do a dish called Chongqing Spicy Chicken which by itself is worth a drive from almost anywhere in the state, and possibly from Manhattan as well. I assume it's their take on the Sichuan classic, la zi ji ding, but I'm not positive. It consists of little nuggets of chicken that have been (I assume) deep fried to a light crispy crust, and then stir fried with copious quantities of chilies and Sichuan peppercorns. I know that sounds like the recipe for plenty of other Sichuan dishes, but the execution here makes all the difference. The combination of crunch, juiciness, chili heat, and peppercorn numbing is just insane. Also: it goes unbelievably well with beer.

Has anyone else here experienced what I'm talking about?

Sichuan Spring

1167 RARITAN AVE

HIGHLAND PARK, NJ 08904

(732) 572-9510

---

al wang