• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Wal-Mart has sushi!

Shelby

A guy stands there and makes it fresh!!!! 

A new concept for this Kansas gal.

Oh dear, even Wal-Mart now, huh? Something about that worries me a bit, but it is interesting to hear how the trend has spread so much.

My experience with such sushi (ie. the kind of stuff you see put together at supermarkets and such) was largely at my college. Around the end of sophomore year, my school decided to have something like that, provided by these people (Wegmans uses the same company). It was interesting to see the progression in quality.

Keeping in mind that dining hall food leaves MUCH to be desired, the sushi started out pretty decent, since there were 2 or 3 people standing there and making rolls to order. Then, the school got cheap and/or wanted to reduce the wait time (knowing my school, both), and it very quickly changed for the next school year to 2 or 3 people making rolls to be put into the fridge with the others, where students could sort through what was there.

Needless to say, sushi (particularly the vegetarian varieties like avocado rolls) were one of the few very edible and healthy things I could find, and I became sick of rolls by the middle of senior year because of all that refrigerated sushi rice. I think it contributes to my desire to eat only sashimi now... not that that's a bad thing!

My (admittedly unimportant) worry is that some of the less open-minded folks who decide to be adventurous and try this sushi, having never eaten it before, will have a poor opinion and understanding as a result. To me, it's like Anheuser-Busch marketing craft beer, although unlike AB, I don't think Wal-Mart benefits from people thinking the "premium" stuff (sushi, in Wal-Mart's case; craft beer for AB) isn't worth the money.

However, it can't hurt to turn people on to a new food who might not have tried it otherwise. Let's hope that they're careful with the fish, at least. And the horrible possibilities for even more overfishing. :shock:

(edited for clarification)

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Sadly, I've never ever had sushi like I see here in pictures. I have to eat what I can get here.

I can't wait for the day that I'm somewhere that I can get fresh fresh sushi and sashimi.

*sighing longingly*

There isn't much to choose from. Eel, tuna and salmon. Today I had 2 spring rolls with salmon in them. They were pretty good!

:wub::wub:

Sadly, I've never ever had sushi like I see here in pictures.  I have to eat what I can get here.

I can't wait for the day that I'm somewhere that I can get fresh fresh sushi and sashimi.

*sighing longingly*

There isn't much to choose from.  Eel, tuna and salmon.  Today I had 2 spring rolls with salmon in them.  They were pretty good!

I also live in a small town and feel your pain. Our local supermarket started selling sushi a few years ago, and I made a point of talking with the nice Thai lady and her husband who were usually there making it. After awhile, they began suggesting different items and making special rolls for me to try. While of course it is never going to be the highest quality sushi experience that one could have, it was not bad and it helped me to learn more about a cuisine that I love.

Just a few months ago, the husband and wife left their jobs making sushi at Publix to open their own Asian food store - the first in my town! Now I talk recipes with them and ask them how to use different ingredients that they sell. It has been a very enriching experience for me.

Oh Yummo! Just stay clear of the Old Roy Roll.

Yesterday I was laughing at the Walmart add on that FoodTV channel. They were introducing their line of fine steaks. Now their are taking on the fishies. I'm old enough to be more than halfway through my life thank God.

:wub:  :wub:
Sadly, I've never ever had sushi like I see here in pictures.  I have to eat what I can get here.

*sighing longingly*

There isn't much to choose from.  Eel, tuna and salmon.  Today I had 2 spring rolls with salmon in them.  They were pretty good!

I also live in a small town and feel your pain. Our local supermarket started selling sushi a few years ago, and I made a point of talking with the nice Thai lady and her husband who were usually there making it. After awhile, they began suggesting different items and making special rolls for me to try. While of course it is never going to be the highest quality sushi experience that one could have, it was not bad and it helped me to learn more about a cuisine that I love.

Just a few months ago, the husband and wife left their jobs making sushi at Publix to open their own Asian food store - the first in my town! Now I talk recipes with them and ask them how to use different ingredients that they sell. It has been a very enriching experience for me.

How cool! I can barely understand the gentleman that makes the sushi here lol.

Oh Yummo!  Just stay clear of the Old Roy Roll.

Yesterday I was laughing at the Walmart add on that FoodTV channel.  They were introducing their line of fine steaks.  Now their are taking on the fishies.  I'm old enough to be more than halfway through my life thank God.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I picked up one of their assortments for my daughter's 13th birthday. I figured it was safe because they only use cooked seafood in them, so there wouldn't be the "ick, it's raw" factor. She seemed to like it. Hopefully, we can get her grandpa to take her out to a "real sushi" place soon. He knows what the good stuff is and where to get it in Wichita, if such a thing is possible.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

I picked up one of their assortments for my daughter's 13th birthday. I figured it was safe because they only use cooked seafood in them, so there wouldn't be the "ick, it's raw" factor. She seemed to like it. Hopefully, we can get her grandpa to take her out to a "real sushi" place soon. He knows what the good stuff is and where to get it in Wichita, if such a thing is possible.

Let me know where that place might be if you find it!

I've had decent grocery store sushi... not fabulous, but decent. On par with the stuff the little old ladies make for church festivals at all of the Japanese-American churches I've been to.

The sushi counters at the Local Safeway, Whole Foods and another local small chain store have someone coming in twice a day to make sushi. IIRC.

Cheryl