• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Next Food Network Star

KatieLoeb

Nope, I like her too.  She's weird, but she grows on you.  And she knows what shes doing.

That's exactly it. Lisa knows what she's doing. And the FN execs can teach her how to be more comfortable on camera. I recall seeing a Giada bio on FN and, in her early days, she said she was terrified and extremely uncomfortable in front of the camera when Everyday Italian (whatever it's called) started production. So since Lisa KNOWS how to cook, all she has to do is learn how to do the presentation in front of the camera.

What I won't watch is one more BBQ show, which is Adam's expertise, if I understood correctly. Though I have no doubt he's a worthy contender and has cooking abilities not yet apparent to me via TNFNS. Aaron, on the other hand, did pull off some really good dishes.

I do recall Bobby Flay saying Lisa's cassoulet was the best he'd ever had. Now the question remains, how many different cassoulet dishes has Bobby eaten?

What I won't watch is one more BBQ show, which is Adam's expertise, if I understood correctly. Though I have no doubt he's a worthy contender and has cooking abilities not yet apparent to me via TNFNS. Aaron, on the other hand, did pull off some really good dishes.

Here's a thought... let's lose the Neelys (I haven't watched their show, just the horrible horrible teasers) and give Adam and Aaron on their own BBQ show.

Lisa has potential, and I like her much more than I did at the beginning. Any of the three of them would be fine as a winner; they all have different strengths and compared to what's on now, all three of them should get their own show. It would dramatically improve the lineup.

Nope, I like her too.  She's weird, but she grows on you.  And she knows what shes doing.

That's exactly it. Lisa knows what she's doing. And the FN execs can teach her how to be more comfortable on camera. I recall seeing a Giada bio on FN and, in her early days, she said she was terrified and extremely uncomfortable in front of the camera when Everyday Italian (whatever it's called) started production. So since Lisa KNOWS how to cook, all she has to do is learn how to do the presentation in front of the camera.

I do recall Bobby Flay saying Lisa's cassoulet was the best he'd ever had. Now the question remains, how many different cassoulet dishes has Bobby eaten?

I like her NOW, too. I didn't at first, but she does grow on you. For me it happened when she was obviously scared of heights, but she got on that wine-lift thing and tried her hardest.

She knows how to cook and she is so driven. She just might be a good thing for that network.

A few thoughts on the final three:

Adam-Likeable personality, nice look, humorous in the right situations, knows food. He would be somebody I'd see in the role of the host of a show like "Unwrapped" or "All-American Festivals," not a serious cooking show, but a show about food where he would interact with people. Chance of winning: Good.

Aaron-Likeable personality, does well cooking with kids. May not have the strength to overcome his nervousness on camera. The day of the "big plate" type of home-cooking may not be what Food Network is looking for. (What am I thinking? Even if Food Network already has a stable of "big plate" types of cooks, if the Marketing Department can sell Aaron to an advertiser, they will). Chance of winning: Fair but may surprise at the end.

Lisa-Likeable personality-most of the time. Bitch factor unknown. Looks like that little character on the front of Dutch-Boy paint cans. High "squinting" factor-contacts may not fit comfortably in her eyes. Tan lines from sunglasses will have to go. Can sing while Pork Roast burns. Likeable in a feel-sorry for her, don't like her, she doesn't get it sort of way. Can cook but dishes often come off as confusing and too fussy for the mass Food Network demographic. (Will French Bistro, Upscale, Charitable, Save the Earth Cuisine make for good tv?). Chances of winning: Good, (in spite of her foibles).

I watch The Next Food Network Star because it's fun. I certainly don't take the show, or the contestants, or the food, seriously.

I'd watch 50 reruns of any episode of Rick Stein's 'Food Heroes' on BBC over 'The Next Food Network Star.' Serious food. Serious ingredients and good cooking. Chef Stein exemplifies what I personally like to see in a "star" cooking on television.

Edited by David Ross (log)

I just turned on the marathon airing of all of the episodes, already in-progress. It was right near the end of the Martha episode. I was struck by who was safe from that episode. (I don't recall which number it is.) Adam was safe because of his potato cheese fries. Lisa was safe because the food editors liked her packaged food product concept (the marmalade). Aaron was safe because Martha liked him most. This is probably apropos of nothing, but it struck me for some reason. Adam made a basic comfort food dish well. Lisa knows how to conceptualize, package, and market. Aaron is likable.

Edited by PatDC (log)

Wiki says that a mistake on the FN site already anounced the winner.

I'm not going to say it here, but if you're interested, go check Wiki.

Well, if another storm knocks out our satellite, I won't be too miserable about not being able to see the show tonight :wink:.

I'd watch 50 reruns of any episode of Rick Stein's 'Food Heroes' on BBC over 'The Next Food Network Star.'  Serious food.  Serious ingredients and good cooking.  Chef Stein exemplifies what I personally like to see in a "star" cooking on television.

I completely agree.

wow.. That was a little surprising to me. He seemed the least comfortable on camera. Of course, I think Aaron is more approachable than Lisa for a Food Network audience.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I wonder if there would have been a different outcome based on viewing the "pilots" and audience voting. Of the three pilots, Lisa and Adam seemed most natural and at ease, Aaron less so. It's too bad they won't just put them all into production.

For once the best competitor remaining won! Lisa should've been eliminated very early in the competition, in my opinion she'd be worse than the Neely's to watch and I don't watch them. Adam was OK but kind of looked one dimensional by trying to smoke everything. Aaron certainly will see most well rounded and approachable of the group. The only other competitor I really like was Shane.

Hopefully Aaron's show will do well unlike many of the previous winners.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Wow, this show certainly keeps up a fine tradition with leaked info, dubious judging and embarassing vignettes.

Did anybody else notice that Adam's viewer driven show idea is exactly what TFN trotted out several weeks ago with Ask (somebody?) show?

Lisa should have her own show mixing molecular gastronomy and french cooking in Space Bistro with your host...Romulisa. I would watch it. :raz:

I'm happy for Aaron -- I think he had the most to gain from winning this. But of all three, his show was the one I am least likely to watch.

Good move by FN to get his show up and running ASAP. I just hope he isn't on that fugly RR set.

Aaron's food looks great and I'll watch his show. Congrats to him.

What I found bemusing is that the shows I hate most are shows produced, directed or otherwise meddled with by Gordon Elliott of Doorknock Dinners & Follow that Food fame. I absolutely could not stand to watch those shows (or Downhome with the Neeleys or Paula's Home Cooking or Paula's Party or the infamous "road shows") and I do not get the exaltation of Gordon Elliott. :hmmm:

But whatever.

I'm happy for Aaron.

I don't think we've seen the last of Lisa or Adam.

I hope, for Aaron's sake, he gets a different producer/director/meddler.