• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Next Food Network Star

KatieLoeb

I'm softening a bit.  Last night was pretty reasonable.  My money is on Lisa-the-Romulan.

I bet her Mac and goat cheese needed a bit of acidity to sharpen it up a bit....or leave out the goat cheese and put in oven dried tomatoes.

I agree last night was the first watchable episode so far. I enjoyed it, and what a novel concept, they actually cooked :shock:

I disagree, though, that Lisa will take it. Yeah, she can cook, but she's exhausting to watch and I'm pretty sure that's not why viewers watch a show. Someone needs to take the battery pack out and tell her to lighten up. It may be life and death in her world, but it isn't to us and that kind of intensity is hard to maintain without burning out and over the long haul it's not very appealing or entertaining.

Personally, I'd like Aaron to win because he seems to be an inherently likable *every man* type of guy. Low key, honest, straight forward and normal, plus he can cook. But he's not very good on camera and I don't know that he'd ever learn to loosen up in front of it.

So that leaves Adam. He hasn't inspired a lot of confidence with his food. Good ideas, poor execution. Raw food on the plate not withstanding, his style of cooking isn't one I seek out, BUT...he is good, very good on camera which makes him much more marketable than either Lisa or Aaron. FTV can work with him to get his food up to speed easier than it can getting Lisa or Aaron to relax in front of a camera.

So whether I like Adam's food or not, my money is on him to win

I agree with you, Kalypso. While I'd love for my buddy Adam to win, I'd be happy if Aaron won too. But I'm not sure if you can talk someone off the ledge who is just that completely discombobulated on camera. Same thing with Lisa - she's just too much to handle. Like Sandra Lee with a computer chip in her brain and the Type A personality that never stops to breathe. She strikes me as the sort of person that carries a datebook that's laid out in 15 minute increments. Too nerve wracking to watch. :shudder:

How much of the entrant's "point of view" is actually incorporated into whatever show they get? Is it a guarantee that their show will be about their "specialty"? What was Guy Fieri's "point of view"? Could they just be told that their new show is about whatever market segment FTV feels is underserved and be trained and packaged to do that? I'm sure the marketing department has a pretty big say in what eventually ends up on the air. I think Adam's personality is his strongest asset (and he's really fun in person, trust me) and the rest might all be a moldable thing. gallery_7409_6069_220.jpg

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

What was Guy Fieri's "point of view"?

To be the biggest d-bag possible?

And even if he cooked for the show, he doesn't now, does he? I can watch that diners show for about 1 minute.

Funny thing, the other day there was an early episode of Molto Mario on, and it was so great.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

To be the biggest d-bag possible?

And even if he cooked for the show, he doesn't now, does he?  I can watch that diners show for about 1 minute.

I actually enjoy Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives! He finds some extremely interesting places to eat and I'd like to visit many of them. I also like how he interacts with the owners and the kitchens.

Guys Big Bite is also still on regularly and he does cook on that show.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I actually enjoy Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives!  He finds some extremely interesting places to eat and I'd like to visit many of them.  I also like how he interacts with the owners and the kitchens.

I like the show too, except for the parts where he takes too big a bite and gets food all over himself. That's kind of a gross out. But I kind of get a kick out of the show. He's done features on a couple of places here in San Diego and they were actually accurate and not the typical tourist driven spots in a tourist driven town. The places spotlighted are local spots that attract a local crowd and serve up some pretty decent food. Some hosts seem to do better with a bigger, less restrictive venue than the set of a cooking show. I think Guy is one of those guys.

He's certainly been the most successful of the Next Food Network Star franchise. And while he's a little over the top, he's certainly far less annoying and more watchable than, say, Rachel Ray, Sandra Lee or the Neelys.

Edited by kalypso (log)

...he's certainly far less annoying and more watchable than, say, Rachel Ray, Sandra Lee or the Neelys.

I can handle Rachel and Sandra but the Neelys are just ridiculous. I'm not sure where they came from but I would say would go back. They may run a successful restaurant business but they certainly don't have an enjoyable television show. And now they got a roadshow? At least I'll have more free time, one less show on television to consider watching.

it seems the road show is de rigeur now.

bourdain, of course, but then they started putting all the hosts on the bus. mario's covered italy, and was pretty enjoyable. then rachael spent $40 (and then i think she had ANOTHER roadshow, without the budget)...then alton ate asphalt twice. paula's sons did it, then guy fieri...now the neelys. i'm sure i've left out a few. no wonder gas prices are so high...it seems food network has rvs out there at every truckstop, greasepit and pop shop. i enjoyed two of them. now they are just another reason to flip the channel. enough with the road shows.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Ok, I know I'm jumping into the conversation kind of late here, but, I've watched every season of this show and I always wonder just how much the challenges have to do with actually starring in a show?

I have a friend who produces and occasionally acts as second/third cameraman for tv commercials (and some industrial videos), and all he does is laugh at how badly produced the FTV shows are.

Much of the time, they seem to be emphasizing doing entere segments, from ad break to ad break, without stopping. As if they need to get all 11.5 minutes on film without mistakes because it's too expensive for multiple takes, or, (sarcastic gasp of horror here) too expensive to have cuts and mini-scenes. Face it, they can't be using movie-quality film, I'd be surprized to find out that they still film in hi-8 (the 80-s and 90s standard for tv news and some sitcoms) -digital must be cheap by now.

I did a few voiceovers for my friend, when the real actors were too hung over to come in to work, and I know a little bit about tv production. If you make a small pause at the end of sentences or certain phrases, it's no big deal to re-do segments. You usually get good enough that it doesn't happen often, but no one pushes you to plow on for 11 minutes. I was often asked for other takes, just to hear some different interpretations of the script, not because what I had done was bad. If these guys can do it, FTV should be able to as well.

Anyway, the challenges seem pretty far removed from the actual business of making a show.

And, some people's experience seems weak for them to springboard into being on-screen instructors. Oh wait, this is the network propping up Rachel Ray and Sandra Lee. I guess anyone with a big smile or bustline can be a host as long as they shill for processed food packers. I mean, there are hundreds of culinary school instructors out there, and not one has gotten a show on FTV...I wonder why...

I agree with you, Kalypso.  While I'd love for my buddy Adam to win, I'd be happy if Aaron won too.  But I'm not sure if you can talk someone off the ledge who is just that completely discombobulated on camera.  Same thing with Lisa - she's just too much to handle.  Like Sandra Lee with a computer chip in her brain and the Type A personality that never stops to breathe.  She strikes me as the sort of person that carries a datebook that's laid out in 15 minute increments. Too nerve wracking to watch. :shudder:

How much of the entrant's "point of view" is actually incorporated into whatever show they get?  Is it a guarantee that their show will be about their "specialty"?  What was Guy Fieri's "point of view"? Could they just be told that their new show is about whatever market segment FTV feels is underserved and be trained and packaged to do that?  I'm sure the marketing department has a pretty big say in what eventually ends up on the air.  I think Adam's personality is his strongest asset (and he's really fun in person, trust me) and the rest might all be a moldable thing. gallery_7409_6069_220.jpg

You have a very good point. Cooking skill is second to TV presence on FTV. He could be the next Guy Fieri or Mark Summers (who BTW drives me crazy with his odd phrasing and emphasis).

Oh please - they couldn't send anyone home last night? When one of the contestants is putting three pastas on a high-end buffet in Vegas? And some sort of weird salad.

Allright, Aaron did have crab cakes - but where was the shrimp or lobster from any of the contestants? Oysters, maybe? And I actually thought Romulisa's buffet was the bestest and nicest of the three - oy.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I actually thought Romulisa's buffet was the bestest and nicest of the three - oy.

Maybe looked the prettiest but of playing the part pork on it certainly was a huge mistake. She would've been better off portioning the pork smaller (off the bone) and making it sampling portions like her other dishes.

Adam smoked everything which was his big mistake so actually none of them did a stellar job on the buffets. Aaron's crab cakes were actually as high end at things got.

As for the film segments, Aaron certainly did the best job there.

It was interesting after all the flap about the editing of the segments from Ol' Pumpkinhead's show how the promos were structured to manipulate the viewer's opinion of the wannabes. Lisa was clearly uncomfortable with heights, yet they hoisted her up in the wine tower. It also seemed that Guy "super tool" Fieri was dogging her the entire time. Lisa was also the only one who had no supporting cast. Aaron had the easiest time. he just had to walk through a shot then do a shot surrounded by a support cast at the craps table. In addition to having support players around, Bobby Flay was pretty supportive and helpful. I thought Adam had the hardest set up as he not only had lines; but marks to hit and steps to follow.

I have the same complaint with TNFNS's buffet challenge as I do with Top Chef. $1000 seems like a great budget to do a buffet for 50 ($20 per head) until you find out you have to shop at Whole Paycheck. Also letting Lisa leave the package of Monkfish that slipped out of her cart is bush league. It's the final - "hey, you dropped this" isn't going to end the world.

Lisa's food looked meh. That pork roast was toast.

Adam use of the wok station as a smoker was clever, but his wings were burned.

Aaron's food was way too institutional. The crab cakes may have been good, but fried food on a steam table isn't the best idea. Plus how funny was it that Guy "tool man"; who brought us hot dogs and tater tots on one episode of his "cooking" show was the one complaining that the food was too simple.

As for the ending - Clearly Aaron is the designated winner and they had to do something to not have to eliminate him.

Don't forget, Adam was psyched with his spot. He went as far as saying his background was gonna make it very easy for him. Unfortunately, he was definitely proven wrong during the filming. Aaron was the most scared going in yet did the best job.

I personally think taking all three to the finals with a good move since there was clearly no loser nor winner in last night's competition. The question is what will they do next week if the same situation arises?

The question is what will they do next week if the same situation arises?

Maybe all three will get together with those 2 guys whose show lasted about a minute?

This stuff almost makes Ray tolerable - but not that much.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I know I'm joining this thread late.... I've thought all along that the final two would be Adam and Aaron: maybe they could have one of those "boy shows" where they travel around the country watching other people cook... Lisa, who knows? Have trouble reconciling the romulean hair cut and militaristic persona with the frilly dresses...buttons and bows. It's like Martha Stewart met Robert Irvine and they had a child.... Yucck. :wub:

ksoss

It's like Martha Stewart met Robert Irvine and they had a child.... Yucck.  :wub:

:biggrin: That's one of the most complimentary description I've heard of her! :biggrin:

It's like Martha Stewart met Robert Irvine and they had a child.... Yucck.  :wub:

:biggrin: That's one of the most complimentary description I've heard of her! :biggrin:

And fairly accurate, as well.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I really dislike Lisa, but she is going to win, I think.

I live in Philly, and I know that Adam is waiting tables and I read that he and Aaron have a little BBQ thing going to start soon-out of Adam's house.

They aren't allowed to say anything yet, and haven't, (I know Adam, and he really won't talk).

However, would Adam be waiting tables and would he and Aaron be looking to open something together if either of them had won?

Philly Francophiles

Well, given the track record of past winners, it seems that the FN leaves the winners high and dry after their 6 shows. Guy Fieri is the only winner who we hear from .... far too often IMHO.

So maybe A&A can capitalize on a win with the restaurant? :biggrin: It would be a smart move....

I really dislike Lisa, but she is going to win, I think.

I live in Philly, and I know that Adam is waiting tables and I read that he and Aaron have a little BBQ thing going to start soon-out of Adam's house.

They aren't allowed to say anything yet, and haven't, (I know Adam, and he really won't talk).

However, would Adam be waiting tables and would he and Aaron be looking to open something together if either of them had won?

I don't think that the FN gig would pay so much that the winner wouldn't have to work again, and the six show offer would be done filming pretty quickly, so then what'd Adam do with his time? Go down the shore?

I like Lisa Garza and I hope she wins. I'd also like to see Aaron and Adam get some sort of show on FN if that is really what they want to do. Of the three, based on what I've seen, I think Lisa and Aaron have the maddest culinary skillz.

Who do I think will win? I think Adam will win.

I like Lisa Garza and I hope she wins. I'd also like to see Aaron and Adam get some sort of show on FN if that is really what they want to do. Of the three, based on what I've seen, I think Lisa and Aaron have the maddest culinary skillz. 

Who do I think will win? I think Adam will win.

If memory serves me right you're the only person who's written in this thread that likes Lisa! Other than the fact she cooks in high heels and $300 blouses and she tries to talk down to every one and keeps injecting statements about her extensive culinary training into every conversation what redeeming factors we should bring to FW?

In my opinion she should've been one of the first to go. :rolleyes:

:laugh: Yeah, I guess I am the only one.

I won't try to defend her stupid mistakes with the Prada blouses and the high heels, but that time she ended ass-end-up on the ship with sauce all over her head... and still kept going? I was sold. *LMAO*

edited to change "train" to "ship" because I forgot.

Edited by Jane Die (log)

Every time I see Tusch gaze at Lisa I think she has it in the bag. (He practically jumped up and down in his seat after her singing presentation last week. Check that, he was totally bouncing.) At first I thought they kept Aaron around because they had decided he's their guy, but now I'm wondering if it wasn't to keep a little drama in this that a straight Lisa/Adam showdown would lack.

TPTB are looking for Personality! Cooking skills seem to be optional, looking at the shows they're turning out at the moment. So, hard to tell, either Aaron or Adam seem like they'd be naturals for the next Road Trip! Although Lisa would be far more amusing. And she'd be packing that attitude.