• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Next Food Network Star

KatieLoeb

All 3 of those should have been no problem for anyone with a few years' experience cooking professionally.  Although for a standard home cook, which, based on this comment, you appear to be (no offense intended), it may appear impossible.

To make any of those three those dishes in the classical sense would require much more time than the contestants had available. Any one can make them quite acceptably given the required time. The challenge was too be innovative enough to be able to create a reasonable quickly cooked substitute, which they all did. The Wellington other than presentation was a very nice dish. The Coq au Vin probably would've been quite good if they'd combined the sauce and chicken prior to serving and the Turducken probably would've been the best except for the accident while cooking it. I actually think they were all quite creative in their approach, nobody could have made (even a professional as you imply) the classic dish in the time available.

what i just can not fathom is the executives letting their viewers see that they are okay with the next "food network star" possiblely being someone who:

"...isn't into the french food thing" and called coq au vin "coq de vin";

a contestant, who by their admission, has only cooked one thing they liked so far;

someone who the judges said "needs to become a food authority" (like that can happen in a week) ;

someone who freaked when presented with a whole fish, and on and on....

yeah some of them have been bounced, but they were actually in the running to be the next FOOD network star. unbelievable!

I certainly don't believe a good Food Network Star has to be into "The French Food Thing" as you call it. Matter of fact it's refreshing to see that some of them are not into it!

I do agree and a contest should like what they cooked.

Again I don't think that someone needs to be a "Food Authority" to win the contest. They just have to have the right personality and sufficient knowledge to carry off the show. Just look at the background of some of their existing stars.

Some people are not into working with whole fish and there's nothing wrong with that. As long as the person is competent with what they cook, be it vegetarian, Jewish (no shellfish or pork here) or whatever they shouldn't be criticized for dishes they have no knowledge of.

According to your definition every contestant would have to be a graduate of a high end culinary school, have years of experience and be an executive chef. These people might be able to cook but probably wouldn't have the personality that makes a show successful! :wink:

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

what i just can not fathom is the executives letting their viewers see that they are okay with the next "food network star" possiblely being someone who:

a contestant, who by their admission, has only cooked one thing they liked so far;

someone who the judges said "needs to become a food authority" (like that can happen in a week) ;

yeah some of them have been bounced, but they were actually in the running to be the next FOOD network star. unbelievable!

I certainly don't believe a good Food Network Star has to be into "The French Food Thing" as you call it. Matter of fact it's refreshing to see that some of them are not into it!

i didn't say that, the contestant did.

btw, i didn't lay out a definition. not sure where you got that from.

but yeah, maybe i'm weird but, someone who they want to be a food authority, which is exactly what the stuffed shirt guy said, should know what coq au vin is and how to cook it. they don't have to like french food, but they should certainly be knowledgeable about the classic dishes.

how do they beat the one contestant up for not knowing an udon noodle, but give someone a pass for not knowing what coq au vin is?

was anyone else a little bothered by the judges criticism of the african american gentleman? sorry, i can't remember his name.

the fn lady was saying something like, " you just need to be yourself" "your not letting us see the real you, that's as honest as i can be." ummm, no it's not.........

Offended? That's the best advice he could've gotten -- otherwise, he would've been gone. He's stiff as a board because he isn't being himself, and if he isn't himself, he isn't going to be able to be personable or engaging.

I agree with Reignking. I'm not so sure there was anything nefarious or prejudiced about the criticisms of Aaron. When he's on camera or even just speaking in front of the judges, he's paralyzed with fear. He isn't talking like himself or acting like himself. He isn't acting like an animated human being. He's worse than a robot. Don't forget there's hours of edited material we haven't seen. If he was always that stiff and tongue-tied he wouldn't even have made it to the show. I think the judges have seen at least some of what the real folks are like and are disappointed when they aren't performing up to their potential.

That said, I suspect Aaron's on camera discomfort will be his undoing eventually. As will Adam's choking under pressure. I hope Lisa is gone before the final because I just can't stand her. The last thing the world needs is another Martha Stewart bitch-on-wheels, but in heels and coture. Blech. Kelsey is like Rachel Ray on meth. But with no food knowledge whatsoever. At least Rachel had some retail gourmet/real world experience to call upon. I think Shane is going to take this. He's doing really well and has surprisingly good chops for such a young man. And he's a pleasure to watch. He pulls off the balance between personable and authoritative very well.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Kelsey is like Rachel Ray on meth. 

Rachel Ray on meth. I like it!! :laugh:

As much as this pains me to say it, Lisa's actually showing some potential.

Here's my best guess as to how the next few weeks will play out

Adam - goes next week

Aaron - the week after Adam

And then Kelsey

Lisa & Shane will be the 2 finalists and Shane will probably win.

Shane reminded ever so much of Tyler Florence last night, and you know, that's not really a bad thing. I always like Tyler's shows. He was easy to watch, low key in a good way and almost always demonstrated a solid level of cooking and (the vaunted) culinary knowledge.

Would I get up to watch Shane at 9:30 on Sunday morning? Naw, but make that 9:30 pm and I just might.

how many people did they feed at that final challenge table? 10 or 12?

does anyone think lisa's one duck leg confit would have changed the flavor of their dish? that would be, what, a 1/2 a forkful at most for each dish.

Now, c'mon, let's be honest. A show of hands, please...who watches this for the same reason people watch Nascar? Waiting for the crash, baby.

I mean, Kelsey - don't you know that surfaces in a kitchen are hot? Have you heard of a side towel?

Jen - yeah - smash that glass on your flat top - you're hired.

Adam - your schtick is boring...and you can't cook.

Aaron - coq de vin - sounds like my kinda food.

Lisa - :wacko: Just don't get too close to her when she has a knife in her hands...and carry tissues, this woman cries at the drop of a hat.

Shane - yawn.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

was anyone else a little bothered by the judges criticism of the african american gentleman? sorry, i can't remember his name.

the fn lady was saying something like, " you just need to be yourself" "your not letting us see the real you, that's as honest as i can be." ummm, no it's not.........

they obviously want him to be "black" or ghetto or whatever... it was obvious he picked up on this because his response was to give them some of what they wanted to hear. then all the judges cracked up.

i mean, if mario batali was a contestant (god forbid) on this train wreck, and he wasn't being italian enough, you know they'd reccomend he throw in some ,"mangia mangia's" and some "boun appetito's". "c'mon mario be italian!!"

i guess i wasn't overly offended by this, but it did bother me. this only the second episode of this season i have seen. except for maybe a couple of the contestants, these people can't cook.period.

I watched all of ten minutes - the judging - and I had the same feeling from the judges.

It made me mad.

According to your definition every contestant would have to be a graduate of a high end culinary school, have years of experience and be an executive chef. These people might be able to cook but probably wouldn't have the personality that makes a show successful! :wink:

sorry i just don't agree. what about bobby flay, emeril, mario batali, and alton brown? they went to culinary school and/or are exec chef's. they certainly can pull off their own shows. christ, emeril put this network on the map!

and no, that isn't my definition of who should win. i never went to culinary school ,nor worked in a professional kitchen, but i do know how to make a decent chicken stew.

i also wouldn't freak out if some one gave me a whole fish to prepare for dinner.let alone throw it in the trash. if you weren't at least taken aback by this complete lack of professionalism or respect for your food source, then i just don't know what to say.i know and am comfortable with the fact our food was once alive and didn't grow on a tree wrapped in a cellphane package.

After this was on last night, Ace of Cakes was showing two new episodes. Guy Fieri was on one of them, the Charm City crew made a huge hamburger cake for his arrival.

Guy says while pulling the cake toward him "hey, it's bigger than my head"

Duff replies, with a laugh that seemed a little forced to me, "Nothing's bigger than your head!" :raz: How true, how true!!

Guy is the only person still on FN from a past NFNS and he's a parody of a celebrity with the shows he's on. This whole premise is a gimmick, we all realize that. No one is going to go on to a successful career in food TV after this BS. These people give up a large part of their lives (how long does filming last?) to be ridiculed and then sent home. The first winners aren't around, but there's all these new shows that would have been more than suitable for some of the past contestants. Given the "success rate" of past winners, why do they think they would be different?

I wish they'd show some of the people from past years, and we could learn that they've gone way beyond what they ever imagined the FN could do for them in their lives. I can't figure out why my son likes this show, but he does. I don't care for it at all, it's just beyond foolish what they have them do (and the premise of this year is so vastly different than previous years where they spent more time learning how to do a cooking show rather than prattle on describing food they didn't prepare.)

At least now I know what Cat Cora is up to. How did she get the Bon Appetite gig?! Has she ever won in Iron Chef?

Edited by JeanneCake (log)

I like Lisa. I like her bitchiness. (I like Martha Stewart's bitchiness, too. Totally. I don't watch or read her, but I respect her. I would not mess with her. Ever.) Nothing wrong with being a bitch on wheels, though. Not at all.

Anyway, I'm surprised OSHA or FDA or the appropriate Federa/Statel agency has not set some standards in the Food Network kitchens. Standards for dress codes (Lisa) and food prep safety (Woman Who Bashes Glass Jar on Counter) with a supervisor on hand to ensure standards are met. Otherwise, somebody might end up with a chef's knife to the back (see Lisa's fall aboard the ship) or swallow some shards of glass (see Woman Who Bashes Glass Jar on Counter). I mean, lawyers and all... somebody could get hurt and somebody might get sued. :shock:

I like Shane too. I like Aaron, and i think he still has potential.

I'm glad Mike Symon mentioned how offended he was at Nipa's absolute disregard for a perfectly good fish. That right pissed me off, too. Stupid, stupid girl. I can understand not being familiar with an ingredient, but to be that disrespectful of an ingredient is just wrong.

edited because of squirrelly formatting issues (my bad).

Edited by Jane Die (log)

they were actually in the running to be the next FOOD network star.
More like food NETWORK star. Emeril, gone. Mario, gone (from his instructional program, not yet from the game show), Alton, gone (except for hosting the game show - or maybe hosting a road show!).

TNFNS is a game show, too. Doesn't mean it can't be entertaining, in that train wreck kind of way. But food authorities? I think the judges are looking for someone who can play a food authority on TV. Personality? You bet, like Sandra Lee? Please. And having a shtick you can define in one sentence and then pound into our heads? Gotcha.

Tusch and Suzy are busy creating a road show for the Neeley's? 'nuff said.

(Except I saw Duff say that and therefore, will love him forever.)

sorry i just don't agree. what about bobby flay, emeril, mario batali, and alton brown? they went to culinary school and/or are exec chef's. they certainly can pull off their own shows. christ, emeril put this network on the map!

Everybody you mentioned except Bobby is rapidly phasing out of the Food Network. Their main draws now are Paula Dean and her sons, Rachel Ray, Guy, Sandra Lee, etc.

i also wouldn't freak out if some one gave me a whole fish to prepare for dinner.let alone throw it in the trash. if you weren't at least taken aback by this complete lack of professionalism or respect for your food source, then i just don't know what to say.i know and am comfortable with the fact our food was once alive and didn't grow on a tree wrapped in a cellphane package.

I agree we all know these things but if you look at the general American public I'll bet > 90% have no idea what to do with a whole fish nor do they care. Many if not most of them have never seen nor had a garden to grow fresh produce and probably haven't been to a farmers market. Based on this FN is just making the shows at the level of their viewers.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Everybody you mentioned except Bobby is rapidly phasing out of the Food Network. Their main draws now are Paula Dean and her sons, Rachel Ray, Guy, Sandra Lee, etc.

true.

but you said people with their backgrounds wouldn't have the personality to pull off their own shows.

every single one of them not only had their own show (s) but also, put the network on the map.

guy fierri, is the lone example of the next food network star that even has a show.

sorry, this show is a freakin embarassment.

I don't think I'll watch anymore of these NFNS shows, though I'll probably give the final a quick look to see what sort of schmutz suppurates out of it.  I never could leave scabs alone.

How many road shows can our economy support before it is in ruins?  How many times do we have to watch somebody go to Geno's and Pat's for "cheesesteaks wit"?  How many times can you show somebody go to the Varsity for a hot dog? To Black's for barbecue or that place in Amarillo with the 72 ounce steaks? 

Christ Almighty.  Enough already.  The Travel Channel has guys going to the four corners of the globe to find bugs and anuses to eat, and that's beginning to get mundane.  It takes Bear Grylls and a big juicy elephant turd to keep me interested anymore.

lol. I second your opinion.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

Flay is the only one on the whole show who isn't a schmuck. Those FN "executives" are worse schmucks than the would-be stars are. They will select the next star for his/her general schmuckiness and try to spawn another of their own incredibly lame kind.

Having said that I look forward to the next edition.

I haven't seen a single episode (so, no spoilers please) and would like to catch up. I'm finding the Food Network website to be a nightmare for getting the first x (what are we, sixth week?) episodes in order. All I see are the episodes entitled "Into the Studio" (is this the first one?) and something about "Bon Appetit," which I figure is a fairly recent (or even tonight's) episode. Can someone please p.m. me with the schedule, or better yet, show me somewhere online where I can watch the previous episodes in order? (I know the "out-takes" and snippets are on the FN website, but I want to see the entire episodes).

TIA.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

The judges surprised me tonight.

And taking them to Las Vegas seems stupid.

What seemed stupid to me was how excited they were. Maybe they were just expressing their desire to move on as a passion for all things Vegas.

I'll also agree that the judges surprised me tonight.

Adam?- Does very well, they commend him... and then rail him for "Do you really know anything about food?" I wasn't aware that was a requirement to be a Food Network Star.....

Kelsey- Orders people around... Authoritatively, but annoyingly. Tuschman says she still needs to be authoritative. It was much like he hadn't listened to her even talk. Yes, she didn't do what he wanted in the way he wanted it... but it's almost like he was on auto pilot.

Lisa- I think they only had good points for her, but I might not have remembered something. Sure, convincing kids to try something new is great, but steamrolling their choices only indicates an unwillingness to listen.

Shane- Breading is "too technical"? He said it was standard. They would have been more happy if he hadn't said that? All that changes is that the people who watch that realize that it's standard. Or at the least, widely used. By saying one word he imparted an important bit of information about what he was doing to the audience. They'll recognize the technique in the future, and be more comfortable with that process. The whole issue just reeked of their desire for the next Sandra Lee.

Aaron- Didn't actually see his performance, but the judges had the valid point about not looking at the audience for the first bit... and then he turned it around.

Anyway, I really really really really disliked suze and tusch tonight.

Edited by theisenm85 (log)

Anyway, I really really really really disliked suze and tusch tonight.

Completely, wholeheartedly agree. This train has not only wrecked the station (pun intended), but took the entire track with it. Maybe they are the reason so many of the chefs that made Food Network something to watch in the early years are gone. They aren't in touch with the viewers in any way, shape or form.

I'm glad the child goes to camp next week and I don't have to sit through it.

There are videos of the contestants' appearances on the RR show on the RR website, and they are different edits than the ones used by Food TV. It provides an interesting comparison. Shane, for example, is more charming and funny in the RR version and calls his Brownie by name...twice. (One of the judge's criticisms was that he didn't know the girl's name.)

NFNS on RR video links

I'm softening a bit. Last night was pretty reasonable. My money is on Lisa-the-Romulan.

I bet her Mac and goat cheese needed a bit of acidity to sharpen it up a bit....or leave out the goat cheese and put in oven dried tomatoes.