• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Next Food Network Star

KatieLoeb

Watched this drivel last night only because Symon was a judge. Symon didn't seem to happy most of the episode. Almost like he was being forced to do this by the Food Network.

Nipa definitely should have gone home. The fish episode is the kicker that sent this woman home.

This show is just as ridiculous as she is, so maybe she should have stayed!!!

Anyway, in Nipa's defense, Nipa got the squid and had never worked with it before. That's understandable, but the fish is simply unforgivable.

Also, the "apologizer" got the oysters. She said she has issues with oyster, healthwise, why did she continue to work with them? If I was her, I would have told them that I have health issues with oysters and there is no way I am going to touch them for anyone. Give me a new ingredient.

I think the approach of this show is very retarded. To really see if someone can speak expertly, they must have some knowledge. If you don't have the knowledge, you cannot speak expertly. So, the idea of giving them something they never worked with before is totally retarded. It would be better to give them something they know and then see if they can shine with it.

In addition, the judge (the woman, can't remember her name), said to Nipa that she is going to have to work with the squid no matter what when she is doing a show. Excuse me, but if I'm doing a show and I don't eat squid, I'm not going to do squid. I'm going to stick with what I know and love. After all, it is supposed to be my show, right?

For instance, I personally don't eat squid or shellfish or any fish that does not have scales. It's a religious thing. If I had a show, I would not do any of those things on my show: Firstly because it would violate my religious beliefs and secondly because I have never tasted them (and never intend to taste them) so I would not know what they would be like after cooked. So, to tell me that I would HAVE to do squid is just plain arrogant and illogical. The star of the show is going to do the food they would eat - things they love to eat and ones that are not going to make them sick or violate any religious beliefs they might have. So, to put it bluntly, that comment was just plain retarded.

Anyway. That's my rant. It won't matter anyway because I have no intention of watching this train wreck again. I feel sorry for the person who actually wins this. Another FN failure of a show will result.

--- KensethFan

I think the approach of this show is very retarded.  To really see if someone can speak expertly, they must have some knowledge.  If you don't have the knowledge, you cannot speak expertly.  So, the idea of giving them something they never worked with before is totally retarded.  It would be better to give them something they know and then see if they can shine with it.

I've never had an interest in TNFNS but the other night my wife turned it on. I wasn't impressed at all. The fact that Nipa was kept when she created her 2-ingredient product was a big clue as to what to expect.

My wife turned it on again last night. I stayed awake for the ridiculas first challenge. I then went to sleep. Sleep was definitely more interesting.

KF, I am in hearty agreement that the show is not worth watching. I don't do oysters, have never touched an oyster shell let alone tried to open one. To judge my (amateur) cooking skills by handing me something I never touch like an oyster you would never know that there are things that I do well. You would only see me botch opening an oyster.

Good Eats, Aces of Cakes, Everyday Italian and occasionally Dinner Impossible are all that's left for me on The Food Network.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Who in the hell goes into a kitchen, any kitchen in a $300 blouse and Prada or Gucci or whatever shoes?

This show is such a train wreck, I just watch to see who is going to be reduced to tears every week.

Makes Hell's Kitchen look like Martha Stewart. Oh and speaking of that, all the ass kissing when she was a guest judge. Give me an insulin shot already! My God People! You think she is some sort of goddess they all worship.

Where the hell is Bourdain when you need him?

the construct of the challenges this season (and last) seems to have been taken from the worst of the worst from top chef, and then worked to death in a production meeting. i mean, please, fish and fruit loops? marshmallow creme? grape jelly? white chocolate? (yes, i know that batali supposedly once crafted a sauce for foie out of starburst, but seriously. SERIOUSLY...)

i can't reconcile the ridiculous challenges, paired with the earnest food network "star" coaching the flustered contestant that they must come across as expert (like they don't do six walkthroughs and a tutorial before they touch an unfamiliar product...) paired with the pseudo-sympathetic execs who nearly hug the squirming, sobbing contestants, and then smilingly eviscerate one per week....it's barely fun to watch anymore. shark jumping has reached a new level.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

...I don't care how good her skills or knowledge of food may be, those ridiculous shoes, $300 blouse and endangerment of others working in the kitchen are a real detriment to any shred of credibility she may have.

There is no credibility, not even a shred. Specifically because she doesn't get what a hazard Jimmy Choos are in the kitchen. Or her flammable $300 blouse. :rolleyes:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

But...I am very, very surprised that someone in the FTV HR department hasn't talked to either Lisa...er, the Romulan... or the two network officials on the panel about those shoes.  Yeah, it was funny to see her take a header, but she's also a walking safety hazard.  What if the contents of that container had been a hot liquid, or worse yet, hot oil.  She could have been badly burned, and so could anyone working in the kitchen with her.  Not only are those shoes a safety hazard they're also a liability with the potential for a BIG insurance pay out if she ever injures someone because of them. Apparently, the risk does not outweigh eatertainement TV.

I was looking at the judges' blogs on the food tv site, and in Susie's video blog for week 4, she answers a viewer questions about the shoes and the blouse. She says that the high heeled shoes are dangerous and then goes on pretty much to dimiss any problem with the attire by saying that Lisa looks "hot," and she's always interested to see what Lisa will be wearing. Her conclusion on the shoes is that Lisa will have back problems later in life :wacko: .

Her conclusion on the shoes is that Lisa will have back problems later in life :wacko: .

That's a genetic problem with Romulans.

I have to agree with some of the sentiments here -- you don't need to know everything about every food to have a cooking show. As I pointed out earlier, they certainly have many shows where no one is looking for this "expert advice" that they are so eagerly seeking. I'm not going to watch Sandra Lee (well, at all, but that's not the point) to see how to filet a fish or clean a squid.

Did anyone else bust out laughing when the Romulen took a header in her Prada shoes?  And her complaining about her sauce soaked $300 blouse?  WhyTF would you wear something like that into a kitchen?  She's ridiculous.  She might be able to cook, but she's cold as corpse and hasn't a clue about professionalism.  I own a coffee table less wooden than she is.

I didn't laugh -- because I knew it was coming -- but I cheered when she whined about ruining her shoes and blouse. Great way to turn the audience off! Maybe she'll learn from that and wear shoes that belong in a kitchen.

I got a pretty good snicker out her complaining about ruining a $300 blouse. One of my first thoughts was "how many FTV viewers can actually afford a $300 blouse", my guess is not many.[/B] That wasn't going to win her much sympathy.

But...I am very, very surprised that someone in the FTV HR department hasn't talked to either Lisa...er, the Romulan... or the two network officials on the panel about those shoes. Yeah, it was funny to see her take a header, but she's also a walking safety hazard. What if the contents of that container had been a hot liquid, or worse yet, hot oil. She could have been badly burned, and so could anyone working in the kitchen with her. Not only are those shoes a safety hazard they're also a liability with the potential for a BIG insurance pay out if she ever injures someone because of them. Apparently, the risk does not outweigh eatertainement TV.

I don't care how good her skills or knowledge of food may be, those ridiculous shoes, $300 blouse and endangerment of others working in the kitchen are a real detriment to any shred of credibility she may have.

I don't claim to know the demographic data for FN viewers but I would think that the average income for TVFN viewers is above the 50th percentile nationally, probably above the 80th percentile.

i'd sooner watch her than the neelys or sandra lee or that delicioso woman.

The Neely's have to be the worst show on FN. And they're actually going to get a second show! (Road Food, they used to be done by the Dean boys) Makes you wonder what the producers are thinking. They have no cooking ability and spend the entire show yakking about whatever.

Actually, I think I'd probably watch any of the remaining contestants before I'd watch the Neely's.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

That's a typical FN pattern. Someone gets a show. Then they get a 'road show'.

"You're drunk."

"Just bring out the cakes."

"Cakes and fine wine."

"If you don't leave we'll call the police."

"Balls! We want the finest wines available to humanity, and we want them here and we want them now!"

--Withnail & I--

http://meandmyfork.blogspot.com/

http://booksaboutfood.blogspot.com/

I don't think I'll watch anymore of these NFNS shows, though I'll probably give the final a quick look to see what sort of schmutz suppurates out of it. I never could leave scabs alone.

How many road shows can our economy support before it is in ruins? How many times do we have to watch somebody go to Geno's and Pat's for "cheesesteaks wit"? How many times can you show somebody go to the Varsity for a hot dog? To Black's for barbecue or that place in Amarillo with the 72 ounce steaks?

Christ Almighty. Enough already. The Travel Channel has guys going to the four corners of the globe to find bugs and anuses to eat, and that's beginning to get mundane. It takes Bear Grylls and a big juicy elephant turd to keep me interested anymore.

I was up late and caught an episode of this last night (hadn't seen it but a few times before, an earlier season). This is a nasty show. Nasty in mean-spirited and revealing about all the ugly, judgmental crap that goes into producing television. It made me uncomfortable to see that one girl weeping, wanting to be on Food Network that bad.

I think I finally realized the dynamic that best matches this show........ You know those super-duper extra crazy pageant moms who dress their children up like Vegas showgirls at the ripe old age of five or six? They are the kinds of mothers who set unrealistic expectations for the kids and then when they fail (by coming in second place), instead of being supportive they go through the laundry list of "things they could have done JUST A LITTLE BIT BETTER!". Well, the two hosts of TNFNS remind me of those moms...........stupid challenges with no real hope of success, followed by humorlessly nitpicking weepy contestants on the finer points of appealing to the lowest common denominator.

The Romulan or the cheerleader will take this.......they obviously had the most damaging pageant moms and will continue to succeed in the shallowest end of the pool.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Well, Jen is fiiiinally gone. I kind of feel bad for her but she just couldn't seem to do anything right and was a nervous wreck most of the time. I'm pretty sure this is going to come down to Shane and Lisa.

was anyone else a little bothered by the judges criticism of the african american gentleman? sorry, i can't remember his name.

the fn lady was saying something like, " you just need to be yourself" "your not letting us see the real you, that's as honest as i can be." ummm, no it's not.........

they obviously want him to be "black" or ghetto or whatever... it was obvious he picked up on this because his response was to give them some of what they wanted to hear. then all the judges cracked up.

i mean, if mario batali was a contestant (god forbid) on this train wreck, and he wasn't being italian enough, you know they'd reccomend he throw in some ,"mangia mangia's" and some "boun appetito's". "c'mon mario be italian!!"

i guess i wasn't overly offended by this, but it did bother me. this only the second episode of this season i have seen. except for maybe a couple of the contestants, these people can't cook.period.

since the downward spiral known as Food Network, a channel that was very much a part of my just getting out of bed Sunday mornings, watching, actually LEARNING new techniques and innovative recipes....it's kind of sad that it's come to what it is today. I cannot stand more than 5 minutes, no, take that back, 5 seconds of the Neelys. I didn't think that anyone would grate my nerves more than Rachael Ray, but she takes the cake in that department. The only contestant on this show that might be worth watching is Shane. He has a likable quality about him and he seems more "real" if that makes any sense. I get the creeps every time I see Lisa on the screen, her face freaks me out. Kelsey is just too perky and really needs to inject some "real life" into her cheerleading attitude. As for the others, nothing spectacular. I do think that some of the challenges the FN is putting them up against are pretty unrealistic. Last night's challenge of 45 minutes for coq au vin, beef wellington and turducken, with the expectation that they'd get a like meal in that time frame, is truly crazy in my mind. I think that despite their poor aptitudes generally, they did the best they could with what they got. Just my opinion.

Well, Jen is fiiiinally gone.  I kind of feel bad for her but she just couldn't seem to do anything right and was a nervous wreck most of the time. 

What on earth was she thinking banging the neck of a glass jar against the edge of a counter, right in front of a cooking surface, no less? :shock:

was anyone else a little bothered by the judges criticism of the african american gentleman? sorry, i can't remember his name.

the fn lady was saying something like, " you just need to be yourself" "your not letting us see the real you, that's as honest as i can be." ummm, no it's not.........

Offended? That's the best advice he could've gotten -- otherwise, he would've been gone. He's stiff as a board because he isn't being himself, and if he isn't himself, he isn't going to be able to be personable or engaging.

Last night's challenge of 45 minutes for coq au vin, beef wellington and turducken, with the expectation that they'd get a like meal in that time frame, is truly crazy in my mind.  I  think that despite their poor aptitudes generally, they did the best they could with what they got.  Just my opinion.

All 3 of those should have been no problem for anyone with a few years' experience cooking professionally. Although for a standard home cook, which, based on this comment, you appear to be (no offense intended), it may appear impossible.

Offended? That's the best advice he could've gotten -- otherwise, he would've been gone. He's stiff as a board because he isn't being himself, and if he isn't himself, he isn't going to be able to be personable or engaging.

fair enough.

what i just can not fathom is the executives letting their viewers see that they are okay with the next "food network star" possiblely being someone who:

"...isn't into the french food thing" and called coq au vin "coq de vin";

a contestant, who by their admission, has only cooked one thing they liked so far;

someone who the judges said "needs to become a food authority" (like that can happen in a week) ;

someone who freaked when presented with a whole fish, and on and on....

yeah some of them have been bounced, but they were actually in the running to be the next FOOD network star. unbelievable!