• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Next Food Network Star

KatieLoeb

....  Poor Kelsey, serving Sloppy Joes to Martha Stewart :laugh:.

I bet they were better than the "Shit-On-A-Shingle" that pompous ex convict ate in prison. Am I the only one who can't stand this lady?

Lisa is starting to grow on me. She is very chique.

Am I the only one who wonders what is wrong with Sloppy Janes? Seriously, that is just pure food snobbery. Good food is good food, it has nothing to do with whether you "like that kind". Did she mean "that kind= everyday homey family cooking" kind???? Raise your hand if you grew up on Sloppy Joes! ::jumping up and down with my own hand raised"

The Romulan! You've encapsulated that perfectly...

Don't forget that Nipa's presentation was so awful that I thought she was reading from notecards sitting in her dish. A two-spice mix specifically for peanuts? Just make the peanuts, put them in a jar, mark up $6 and profit.

Tell me who went home so I do not have to weaste an hour of my life watching anything martha stewart related. This episode just didn't seem interesting enough to make time for it in the previews.

Jeffrey got eliminated.

weren't we teased with a shot of ms. prada falling to the train floor last week? unless i fell asleep (entirely possible), that was not featured this week. i hate to admit it, but that was the main reason i watched at all.

I think maybe that's next week. The clip was shown again at the end of this week's episode. They're on a ship cooking for the Coast Guard, I think

My son is really into this show. It occurred to me yesterday while watching it (on demand) that I think it's not named correctly. This has nothing to do with being a Food Network Star. I think it should be renamed Survivor: Food Network.

I think Kelsey is natural - I think she's by nature a happy go lucky person and that's probably due to her youth. She hasn't been around long enough to get burned and become cynical :wink: Same with Shane. I hated The Romulan (god, that is so apt!!) the first time I saw the show but after last night's episode, I can see how she's loosening up and is starting to show her cooking chops. Thank goodness she dropped that food philosophy thing cause I sure didn't get it either.

Kelsey is the most annoying, rehearsed - sounding, ditzy, clueless person on the show. She's another Rachel Ray waiting to happen. People who don't know anything about food or cooking and love to be yelled at like three year olds will adore her show and spend all their money on garbage bowl - like products. Nothing she's cooked on the show has made any impression on me, either. Sloppy janes? Please.

I liked Lisa from the beginning, but was afraid to say so on here because everyone's been so...you know. Aside from the fact that I want all her pretty dresses, (and even though she wears a bit too much blush) I think she can cook. And I would have loved to taste her marmalade.

The preview shot of her falling looks horrifying. Kelsey wears heels on every episode, too, but no one's noticed, I guess.

Poor Kelsey, serving Sloppy Joes to Martha Stewart :laugh:.

Why is that a bad thing? Martha Stewart has done sloppy joes on her show, so she must like them (or at least not think it's a bad thing to make them).

I'm saying that based on Kelsey's reaction. Kelsey seemed horrified by what she had made when she realized who the special guest was. (I'm not sure how much of that was editing, but it sounded like she knew Martha wouldn't like it from the moment she walked in. She said something about wanting to fall through the floor.) Then Martha made the comment to the judges about how it's not the kind of food she typically eats.

Personally, I like sloppy joes and thought the one purpose sauce product was a pretty good gimmick. I probably wouldn't buy it, but I think it could be marketed pretty effectively.

It's 7:32 p.m. here in LA, and the jury is still out on who goes home, but the singular thought running through my mind is:

"PLEASE MAKE NIPA GO AWAY NOW" !!!!!!!!!!!

That technique demo was painful, and watching her "handle" the trout was unbearable. She had no business even making the cut to the finals.

If she isn't out tonight..........

She is truly the worst that has ever been on one of these "reality" chef-testant shows. Pathetic.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I was feeling some intense Nipa hate tonight.

I only watched half the show so I have no idea who went home. I'm hoping it's Nipa.

I also think they should have chosen one of the iron chef dishes for the Red Lobster menu  :biggrin:

The show is still going on...nobody knows who went home.

And they are choosing a dish for the Red Lobster menu.

I was feeling some intense Nipa hate tonight.

I only watched half the show so I have no idea who went home. I'm hoping it's Nipa.

I also think they should have chosen one of the iron chef dishes for the Red Lobster menu  :biggrin:

The show is still going on...nobody knows who went home.

And they are choosing a dish for the Red Lobster menu.

Yeah but not the Iron Chef dish just the traditional dish aren't they?

Thank goodness Nipa is gone. I've never seen someone so unqualified with such a sense of entitlement and arrogance. Her butchering of the squid and pathetic attempt at filleting the fish were an embarrassment. I can't believe she hacked a tiny little piece of fish off and then tossed like 98% of the fish into the trash can! :blink: She was the worst contestant in any season I've ever seen. And she lasted several weeks too long.

edited to add:

Did anyone else bust out laughing when the Romulen took a header in her Prada shoes? And her complaining about her sauce soaked $300 blouse? WhyTF would you wear something like that into a kitchen? She's ridiculous. She might be able to cook, but she's cold as corpse and hasn't a clue about professionalism. I own a coffee table less wooden than she is.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Good bye, Nipa. See you next season on Hell's Kitchen.

Yeah but not the Iron Chef dish just the traditional dish aren't they?
Turns out the guy from Red Lobster loved Kelsey's Iron Chef white chocolate fish dish. Look for it on the menu starting tomorrow, the promo said. **crickets**

And could Michael Symon please permanently replace Bobby Flay?

Did anyone else bust out laughing when the Romulen took a header in her Prada shoes?  And her complaining about her sauce soaked $300 blouse?  WhyTF would you wear something like that into a kitchen?  She's ridiculous.  She might be able to cook, but she's cold as corpse and hasn't a clue about professionalism.  I own a coffee table less wooden than she is.

I didn't laugh -- because I knew it was coming -- but I cheered when she whined about ruining her shoes and blouse. Great way to turn the audience off! Maybe she'll learn from that and wear shoes that belong in a kitchen.

They should make some of their current hosts try the early competition -- I can't imagine that Sandra Lee knows what to do with a squid, either. Heck, I would've liked to have seen any of them think of a fish dish with froot loops or coffee or marshmallow creme, too.

There are definitely some that are next to go -- the guy that told us about his runaway son, and Apology Girl. I'm sorry ;) but she can't go home soon enough.

They should make some of their current hosts try the early competition -- I can't imagine that Sandra Lee knows what to do with a squid, either.  Heck, I would've liked to have seen any of them think of a fish dish with froot loops or coffee or marshmallow creme, too.

It actually seems like they've changed what they're looking for in hosts that they pick through this program, I don't even think some of the early winners would do well in some of the tasks that they ask the competitors to complete now days. Overall they have two types of hosts, recognized chefs (Bobby, Symon, Mario, etc.) and then the "pretty faces" that have a lot of personality.

Out of all their shows the new one with the Neely's is certainly the worst in my opinion. They may run a good barbecue restaurant at home but the show is 80% talk and 20% BS. I've yet to see one dish on their show that interests me at all.

Edited by MSRadell (log)

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Did anyone else bust out laughing when the Romulen took a header in her Prada shoes?  And her complaining about her sauce soaked $300 blouse?  WhyTF would you wear something like that into a kitchen?  She's ridiculous.  She might be able to cook, but she's cold as corpse and hasn't a clue about professionalism.  I own a coffee table less wooden than she is.

Those "complaints" made me seriously wonder if she was a paid actor...

This show is like Hell's Kitchen where the contestants look like they were pulled from central casting instead of an episode of COPS. No matter how tiresome Ramsay's rants become, I still think they are less annoying and offensive than the two smarmy FoodTV muckety-mucks on NFNS who seem to only dish out variations of "you really need to be able to reel in the stupid people who are going to want to eat your garbage food".

Winning this contest is pretty similar to being named "the smartest guy with a lobotomy". Yes, you ARE the winner, but there is still the issue of the lobotomy......

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

We would all land in Rehab.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I didn't laugh -- because I knew it was coming -- but I cheered when she whined about ruining her shoes and blouse. Great way to turn the audience off! Maybe she'll learn from that and wear shoes that belong in a kitchen.

I got a pretty good snicker out her complaining about ruining a $300 blouse. One of my first thoughts was "how many FTV viewers can actually afford a $300 blouse", my guess is not many. That wasn't going to win her much sympathy.

But...I am very, very surprised that someone in the FTV HR department hasn't talked to either Lisa...er, the Romulan... or the two network officials on the panel about those shoes. Yeah, it was funny to see her take a header, but she's also a walking safety hazard. What if the contents of that container had been a hot liquid, or worse yet, hot oil. She could have been badly burned, and so could anyone working in the kitchen with her. Not only are those shoes a safety hazard they're also a liability with the potential for a BIG insurance pay out if she ever injures someone because of them. Apparently, the risk does not outweigh eatertainement TV.

I don't care how good her skills or knowledge of food may be, those ridiculous shoes, $300 blouse and endangerment of others working in the kitchen are a real detriment to any shred of credibility she may have.

I'm going to have to see that part again... I thought she said something along the lines of she didn't care that she'd ruined the blouse but was more embarrassed that she's in front of all those people looking like a drowned rat, er, Romulan. I was really surprized by her talking about her brother serving in the armed forces in Iraq; she's never before talked about family, friends, life...

I missed the part about how the order that they chose their ingredients with was decided.

I wonder what else they do with their week after these challenges are taped. Are they allowed out of the asylum? I remember from last year that they weren't allowed to talk to their families for very long, if at all so what else are they doing?