• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Next Food Network Star

KatieLoeb

Wow. I'm surprised to come home and be the first one to be bumping up this thread since tonight was the first episode of the new season. I spent the earlier part of this evening at a party here in Philly that was a showing of the new season hosted by Philly homeboy Adam Gertler, one of the contestants on this new cycle of the program.

It would seem the entire Philadelphia restaurant industry was out in force tonight cheering Adam on. It was a real pleasure to watch the program on a large screen at North 3rd and root for our hometown boy with the rest of the folks that know and love him. I've had the pleaure of knowing Adam since he was the chef at Smoked Joint, a now defunct but sorely missed barbeque restaurant, and also having worked with him at Amada, where he still waits tables. We're all hoping he goes the distance and since he can't reveal the outcome, are watching each episode with baited breath and the expectation that he'll smoke the competition (so to speak), since that is his specialty. He's just as charming and real as he seems and our thoughts and prayers are with him as the competition goes forward. It was quite interesting to hear his take on the inside of the program, as it seems that a lot of hours of film are condensed down by some selective editing (quelle surprise) and although the potato gratin may have been a bit underdone, the end result was that he is going forward in the competition and Bobby Flay himself thought that Adam was the sort of guy he either "wanted to hang out with or watch." Go Adam!!! The City of Brotherly Love is behind you! Rock on, my friend. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

and Bobby Flay himself thought that Adam was the sort of guy he either "wanted to hang out with or watch."  Go Adam!!! The City of Brotherly Love is behind you!  Rock on, my friend.  :smile:

I liked Adam too, got a chuckle out of BFs comments and was glad to see him survive to cook another day. But, I gotta root for Food Dude (Kevin) as he's our local entry this time around.

This year's crop of cheftestants looks to be a little more likable - well most of them are more likable - than last year's crop. But 3 dishes, 30 minutes and 9 plates? Come on, give 'em a fighting chance. Oh wait, that's right...it's not about the food... :wink:

Edited by kalypso (log)

Based on what happened to previous winners, I grimace and or laugh a little when they talk about the life-changing event of getting your own show on this network. Maybe for Guy Fieri (not for me, he) but the Hearty Boys were last seen (sorta) in the wee am hours and last season's winner got a few hastily-made eps and is currently on, what? Hiatus?

At least many of these contestants do seem likable, going in. Much more than the network people, anyway. Still, there are the entertaining moments, e.g., Sandra Lee's face when Giada disagreed with her about the energy level of one of the contestants.

Lisa, that batshit crazy June Cleaver wannabe in high heels and pearls with the $150 Burberry scarf on her head in the kitchen needs to go next. The pastry chef where I work was watching with me and was livid that someone would try to work in a professional kitchen dressed like Anna Wintour in stilettos. And she so doesn't listen to anything that is said to her. She's in her own little world and the rest of us are just interlopers in it, I guess. :wacko:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Lisa, that batshit crazy June Cleaver wannabe in high heels and pearls with the $150 Burberry scarf on her head in the kitchen needs to go next.  The pastry chef where I work was watching with me and was livid that someone would try to work in a professional kitchen dressed like Anna Wintour in stilettos.  And she so doesn't listen to anything that is said to her.  She's in her own little world and the rest of us are just interlopers in it, I guess. :wacko:

Was she a hoot or what? Prada and Manolo's what a concept. If someone showed up to cook in one of my kitchens wearing stilettos they'd see the back door (or locker room) PDQ. FTV must have good insurance or worker's comp coverage to let a walking safety hazard like her actually work in their kitchens, hold harmless agreement or not. At least the "Diva from Dallas" didn't have big hair...

I think it's called "self-absorbed", it's all about her no doubt about that. And can anyone explain to me how community outreach fits into deconstruction of any cuisine :blink: It's perfectly fine as concept on it's own, but the prize is a cooking show, not one about social services. Maybe I could have swallowed it if she didn't sound so damn condescending about bringing fine dining to the great unwashed masses.

I was kinda bummed they didn't have standard issue kitchen/bar mats for her heels to get stuck in. Now that would be funny. :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Lisa, that batshit crazy June Cleaver wannabe in high heels and pearls with the $150 Burberry scarf on her head in the kitchen needs to go next.  The pastry chef where I work was watching with me and was livid that someone would try to work in a professional kitchen dressed like Anna Wintour in stilettos.  And she so doesn't listen to anything that is said to her.  She's in her own little world and the rest of us are just interlopers in it, I guess. :wacko:

Is she the one that looks like she stepped out of an 80s euroband video?

I keep expecting 99 Luftballons to crank up.

So do you think she'll be on there forever as entertainment?  Didn't that happen last time, too?  She's obviously never going to win it.

Oh, but it's going to be ever so fun to see just how far she gets :laugh:

Imagine tottering around the kitchen in pointy, spiky shoes. It's only a matter of time until she does in herself.....or another cheftestant

I can't imagine she actually dresses like that while working in the restaurant she and her husband own in Texas. If their insurance agent watches the show I'm sure their premiums will go up! Wait until next week when she's trying to cook on a train while wearing those heels, that ought to finish her off.

As stated above she fits the mold of a "Junior Leaguer" but certainly doesn't fit the image of a chef.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

but she's all about the 3 C's and deconstructing degustation-community outreach! :rolleyes:

I loved the way the judges looked at her like WTF!

Giada went to Top Chef and stole Lisa's b*tch face.

Yeah raw pork, raw meatloaf and some sorry looking sides make it clear it's not about the food.

Edited by KristiB50 (log)

Yeah raw pork, raw meatloaf and some sorry looking sides make it clear it's not about the food.

Or at least not food in 30-Minutes...

3 dishes, 1 signature dish each + a collaborative effort, and 9 plates in 30 minutes? No wonder they had underwhelming results. More thinly veiled knock-offs of other FTV shows.

Edited by kalypso (log)

I agree that the challenge itself was a bit of a fool's errand. Ten minutes to plan your menu and you're already just barely keeping your lips above the water line no matter how fast you tread. If they'd had an hour or even 45 minutes I think everyone's results would have been far better.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Heh, even Rachel Ray needs her whole 30 minutes to create a schmeal, or whatever she's calling it these days.

The Dallas Diva ever so much wants to impress the judges with just how great she'd look on their network. Suppose there's a tax write off for that wardrobe? After all, she's a Brand !

Edited by hsm (log)

I like little Shane, Barbie, Adam and Romance Guy. Food looked fairly solid, save for the pink pork. But then, Rory had her proudest moment with stripes on a cantaloupe.

I can't fathom tuning in to catch RomuLisa doing her best impression of those snobby dress-shop ladies who think their stores are too good for the likes of you. It would feel like inviting the school bully into your home by choice.

Does she not have a great fall on the train, due to shoes or sway? There's a great slosh of orange, and then feet in the air.

Edited by racheld (log)

Anybody know when these repeat?  I can't stay up that late on a work night.  I tried to look at the sched on their website yesterday, but it was non functional.

If you have On Demand, the first episode's already loaded on there. Otherwise I would think there'd be a schedule at the FN web site.

In previews of a future episode, they do show her falling on her ass. :laugh:

In previews of a future episode, they do show her falling on her ass. :laugh:

:laugh: Awesome! Where is that jumping up and down with glee and anticipation smiley when you need it? :wink:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Also, what was with that pronunciation of "degustation" - I didn't know what she was saying, either, and I studied French for seven years in addition to being a foodie. Ugh.

Mostly I'm watching it to kill time before Wire in the Blood comes on on Sunday nights. :D

Jennie

Finally watched it. Thanks for the on demand tip.

Interesting group. Some very strong contenders. Some weak links. But, now that Debbie Downer is gone, I guess we can concentrate on Miss Priss. Have we ever heard what the third "C" stood for? It sure isn't for conservative dress. :rolleyes: