• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold Soups -- Cook-Off 40

weinoo

This isn't really a suggestion as something to make (it's kind of out there), but I like it. Occasionally...

It's a Japanese dish called hiyajiru (冷汁), and it's basically a cold fish puree soup...

I know...

You basically take cooked fish meat, and grind (I suppose you could probably use a blender) it with miso and sesame, then thin the paste with dashi or maybe just water, and then top it with cucumber, tofu, ginger... whatever you like really. But those are more like just the guidelines, and it varies pretty widely from family to family.

Anywho, not a real recommendation for a cold soup to make unless you feel like doing something wierd, but I thought I'd bring it up to show that cold soup need not be limited to vegetable based dishes.

I recently saw a corn soup - possibly chowder - with a little adobo sauce pool in the middle. This has to happen when the local corn starts going bonkers.

Who can say no to an adobo kick?

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I make an awesome turnip vichyssoise. It's vegan too! But you would never know it.

Peel and cut tunips in eighths.

Sautee in a rondeaux with two WHITE onion on very low heat until par-cooked

Add three IDAHO potatoes.

Finish cooking until almost knife tender.

Add veg stock.

Puree in blender and pass through a chinoise three times, washing inbetween uses.

thin to desired thickness/thiness (vichyssoise should have a nice fluidity to it) and season.

Garnish with Maldon salt, chive tips, and a very nice olive oil.

It's smooth and creamy with no CREAM!

It's only vegan by default im sure it would be great with chicken stock as long as it is a good crystal clear stock.

this stuff is seriously delicious.

• Like 1

You could go mennonite and make Fruit Moos...especially good with cherries or gooseberries. Usually served alongside fried potatoes and ham or farmer sausage.

4 c. fresh or frozen fruit, or soaked dried fruit mix (apples, pears, prunes, etc)

5 c. water

1 c. sugar

1/2 c. flour

1 1/2 c. cream

1 1/2 c. milk

In a saucepan bring fruit and water to a boil. Simmer 5 - 6 minutes.

Stir a thin paste of the sugar, flour and part of the cream.

Add slowly to the fruit mixture, alternating with the remaining milk and cream.

Stir constantly. Remove from heat. Cool.

Maybe served warm or well chilled.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

• 2 years later...

In honour of the first obscenely hot and humid weekend this summer, I've made the delicious Cucumber-Coconut Gazpacho from Jean-George's book Simple to Spectacular.

It's actually hot in Seattle today so I thought I'd try making this soup. Warning - the mint matters! I used a little bit of volunteer mint in my garden. Perhaps it was a spearmint or something because even though I used a small amount, it made the soup taste like toothpaste. So I tried changing the profile with the addition of avocado, cilantro and Serrano. Still tasted way off -- and sort of sweet. So I thought, what the hell, I have a gelato machine. I added some sugar, tasted, then finally gave up and tossed the whole thing down the sink. I'll be a lot more careful about adding mint in the future. Edited by teapot (log)