• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold Soups -- Cook-Off 40

weinoo

As I understand, what's necessary for gazpacho is bread and oil for thickening; stock is not. If you want to go reasonably traditional, you could try these recipes (both based on recipes by Penelope Casas):

Andalusian gazpacho and green gazpacho (scroll down to second recipe).

I discovered the first one a couple of years ago and have never made any other tomato-based gazpacho since. I haven't made the second one, but I imagine it's also good (my guess is that her original version calls for more olive oil, though, and I would leave out the lettuce).

Over in the "soups" topic, there was some considerable discussion - here - about the Sweet Potato, Chile & Lime soup in the excellent cookbook, "Splendid Soups."

Although the recipe intends it to be a hot soup, after making it several times, I served it cold as a starter. Wonderful either way.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Thanks for those links Janet.

Red gazpacho (tomato, onion, bell peppers, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, bread, smoked paprika, salt) and green gazpacho (cucumber, basil, cumin, onion, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, bread, salt) served in glass shooters with sour cream, bell pepper garnish:

gallery_42214_6390_200129.jpg

Easy and awesome in the hot weather. Around a half ounce of cold pourable soup worked best.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

• 3 weeks later...

Gazpacho Foam

gallery_64820_6661_431236.jpg

Blend at high speed about 1/3 cup chopped onion and one clove garlic with about 1/3 cup beef consommé and the juice of one lemon. Add about 2/3 cup tomato and an equal amount of peeled cucumber and blend thoroughly. Add marjoram, black pepper, sea salt, and piment d’Espelette or other hot pepper or Tabasco to taste. Dissolve 2g Knox gelatin in about 1/4 cup warm beef consommé, and blend into mixture. Strain and chill.

Pour one pint of the mixture into a 1 pint cream whipper like the Thermo Whip, charge with one N2O charger, and shake vigorously, then turn the whipper upside down and shake a couple of times to bring most of the liquid to the spout. Release the foam gently at first to produce a controlled spray. If dispensed at this point, it will be drinkable. For a firmer foam that can be eaten with a spoon, allow the filled whipper to rest in the refrigerator overnight on its side. Shake vigorously and dispense into a cocktail glass garnished with a cucumber slice and a spear of red bell pepper.

Great topic and recipes. Maybe those with experience in this genre can tell me--are fruit-based soups more of a dessert than a starter/main course? How do you serve them?

I have for years made a cold cherry soup that I serve in cantaloupe halves. I use it as a starter for summertime dinner parties. I do try not to make it too heavy or too sweet. I think that's the key. Keep it light, and don't make it much sweeter (if any) than the natural sweetness of the fruit.

Also, in Mexico not too long ago, at an apple hacienda, had a transcendental meal that began with a cold apple soup.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Vichyssoise is a puréed soup that is typically served cold. It contains leeks, onions, potatoes, milk/cream, and chicken stock.

I was also going to mention vichyssoise. Here's a recipe to check out from Tony Bourdain:

http://www.food.com/recipe/anthony-bourdains-les-halles-vichyssoise-136057

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Watercress makes a lovely summer soup; as do tomatoes with or without cream and with or without garlic, depending just how tired you are of gazpacho. A little sugar balances the acidity.

Fennel is another choice.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

One of the best cold soups my wife and I ever had was a strawberry-and-cream soup at an inn in Vermont. Those were the basics, but it also had mint and some kind of non-chicken base, probably a veggie stock.

Ray

I'm not sure what "Korean" sauce entails. Is this what you had in mind?

http://www.globalgourmet.com/destinations/korea/cold-cucumber-soup.html#axzz0vSJ8Kyy5

More like this: http://www.lifeinkorea.com/food/Food.cfm?Subject=noodle

Their take on ramen soup, with or without broth and usually has a spicy sauce either way.

In the Korean grocers there is a whole aisle of these packages for easy prep at home.

Hopefully you've checked through the Cold Soups eGullet Cook Off; there are some good ideas in there...click for topic.

And more good ideas in this previous cold summer soups thread: Cold Summer Soups

In fact, four pages of excellent suggestions and recipes.

Can I have the recipe for your carrot ginger soup?? That sounds fantastic, and I have some ginger left over from infusing vodka over the weekend.

Here's the one I use - I serve it at room temperature, but I think it would be equally good served cold. You can omit the spinach chiffonade when doing it chilled.

I always increase the amounts of ground ginger and fresh ginger, plus I add some ground cardamom and curry powder.

CARROT SOUP WITH SPINACH CHIFFONADE

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/248

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

@blether... what do you do with the fennel?

Sweat some chopped / sliced onion in oil with the sliced fennel - 10 mins or so. Add chicken (or your preferred light) stock, season & simmer till the fennel is tender. Liquidize. Optionally stir in some cream, or serve with a swirl of the same.

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.