• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold Soups -- Cook-Off 40

weinoo

Cold Soups--Cook-Off XL

eGullet Recipe Cook-Off Series

Welcome to the eGullet Recipe Cook-Off! Click here for the Cook-Off index.

From avocado to zucchini, cold soups know no bounds. And, with summer quickly approaching in the northern hemisphere, we thought it might be a good time to take a look at all the wonderful varieties of cold soups that work so well in the warmer months.

After all, who doesn't remember that wonderful first slurp of an icy, spicy gazpacho? Or mixing your side of sour cream into a shockingly red borscht for a dish that is so much more than the sum of its parts. Perhaps yours was fancier, the potato and leek wonder known by its French name, vichyssoise...(and which, by the way, is also known as potage parmentier when served hot, according to Bernard Clayton, in his great primer The Complete Book of Soups and Stews; Clayton's book has 29 cold soup recipes - not bad).

Stepping back in time, if you'll allow me to poach a couple of cold ones that I made last year, there's ample room for sweet as well as the savory. Strawberries make an awesome soup, or so I'm told. Cherries do too - just take a look below...this sour cherry soup was quite tasty, as well as a great vehicle for ice cream and sorbet :biggrin: ...

gallery_6902_4825_44802.jpg

Perhaps something a little more savory is to your liking...everyone loved cacik, a Turkish yogurt and cucumber soup, redolent with dill and garlic...though I may have served portions a bit too large -

gallery_6902_5624_48475.jpg

So, bring it on eG'ers - get out your blenders, hand mixers, food processors, chopping blocks, ice cubes, etc. and show us what's keeping you cool, at least in the soup department, this coming summer.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

In honour of the first obscenely hot and humid weekend this summer, I've made the delicious Cucumber-Coconut Gazpacho from Jean-George's book Simple to Spectacular.

This is a wonderful soup made with coconut milk and cucumbers, flavoured with mint, nam pla and lime juice. It's cool, refreshing and delicious!

Here's the mis-en-place:

gallery_59916_5984_250651.jpg

And here is the finished soup. Highly recommended.

gallery_59916_5984_117595.jpg

Edited by isomer (log)

In honour of the first obscenely hot and humid weekend this summer, I've made the delicious Cucumber-Coconut Gazpacho from Jean-George's book Simple to Spectacular.

This is a wonderful soup made with coconut milk and cucumbers, flavoured with mint, nam pla  and lime juice. It's cool, refreshing and delicious!

Wow, isomer, that looks pretty darn good, especially now that the thermometer is pushing 100 here in NYC.

And, if anyone is interested, the current, new issue of Saveur has a recipe for cold Hungarian cherry soup - looks like it's mighty tasty.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

A really simple, light soup that I like to make during the summer is Blueberry Soup. As soon as the blueberries are nice, or I can get my hands on some wild ones, I'd like to make a batch, subbing mint or oregano for the rosemary and yogurt for the sour cream.

Watermelon seems like a perfect choice for a cold soup. I'd love the ingredients for the gazpacho too, please.

Isomer, will you give us that soup recipe? It sounds like just the thing.

I made a really nice savory cherry soup last week with red wine, fresh sage, cherries, and a bit of creme fraiche. Cherries and sage are a surprisingly refreshing combination.

I second the request, isomer. I tried searching online but haven't had any luck .

Abra, your savory cherry soup sounds awesome. I love the thought of cherries and sage, and happen to have some cherries in my fridge right now. Could you elaborate?

I make a gazpacho all the time, it is not really traditional (ie Spanish) but it is great to take iced on a picnic with cold shrimp & cold wine.

My mom, who passed away a little over 2 years ago, gave me this recipe. It reminds me of summer.

Mom’s Gazpacho

Make it ahead of time & let it sit in the refrigerator overnight to combine the flavors:

1 large (48oz) can Tomato Juice

1 large green pepper seeded & chopped (sometimes I leave this out & use cucumber instead)

1 large onion chopped

1 bunch of green onion, both white & green parts, chopped

1 cup of chopped parsley (I like to use half parsley & half cilantro, but you have to like cilantro)

2 tablespoons chicken bullion dissolved in 2 cups water

Juice of 1 lemon

Mix everything together, season to taste with salt & pepper

“Serve it COLD COLD COLD!!” ---- with a dollop of sour cream in the bowl!

I love this topic! The summer is going to be nice and hot here, so various cold soups will make a frequent appearance in our kitchen :) Also, I'm hosting various cook-offs on my Estonian site, and 'cold soups' is scheduled for July :)

I made a cold kefir soup with radishes, scallions, parsley, dill yesterday for lunch - very refreshing:

gallery_43137_2974_69700.jpg

I put together a quick gazpacho this afternoon...3 large ripe vine tomatoes, a cucumber, half an onion, a green bell pepper, a jalapeno pepper, 1/4 cup of parsley, a cup of water, vinegar, salt, pepper and olive oil. Whirred it in the blender (this was not a chunky gazpacho). Into the fridge for a couple of hours and served with a bit of avocado and cucumber strewn on top, it looked like this, and tasted mighty fine.

gallery_6902_5624_64639.jpg

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Peach and cantaloupe soup -- Proportions are up to you but figure 5 peaches and 1 cantaloupe, pureed in a blender or passed through a food mill; 1 cup buttermilk; 1 T. vanilla. Combine all ingredients and chill. Stir in a spoonful of creme fraiche prior to service. This soup is amazing with white peaches.

Blueberry soup with polenta and fromage blanc -- blueberries, water, honey, Meyer lemons (juice and zest), polenta, fromage blanc. You can leave the polenta plain if you like. I saute slices in melted unsalted butter and sugar. Top polenta with blueberry soup, add a dollop of fromage blanc and serve.

This is a wonderful soup made with coconut milk and cucumbers, flavoured with mint, nam pla  and lime juice. It's cool, refreshing and delicious!

Here's the mis-en-place:

gallery_59916_5984_250651.jpg

And here is the finished soup. Highly recommended.

gallery_59916_5984_117595.jpg

I made this soup a couple weeks ago and although I was looking for something with less fat this was very good. This is a keeper.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the excessive heat in SC, I made Cold Tomato Soup (local tomatoes; no fear of salmonella) from Twelve Months of Monastary Soups. You cook down tomatoes, leeks, garlic, seasonings, and some water then strain and chill.

Not wanting to waste the mushed tomatoes and leeks, I added some jalapeno and cilantro and used it to top a southwestern omelet the next morning.

Burgundy makes you think silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them ---

Brillat-Savarin

Strawberry Soup

A Wisconsin resident who subscribed to my newsletter sent me this delightful recipe. When I use sour cream, I use milk; when I use buttermilk, I use heavy cream. I think I have even substituted ricotta cheese once.

2 cups well-drained strawberries (? Perhaps she used frozen, but I use fresh)

1 cup sour cream or buttermilk

1/2 cup milk or heavy cream

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup ginger ale, preferably Vernor's

1 T. lemon juice

1 t. vanilla

Combine in blender and chill. I drink it out of a glass, but you could put it in a bowl and slice a few fresh berries over the top.

Entered in RecipeGullet

Edited by ruthcooks (log)

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I'm sorry I don't have any photos to post, but this is a beautiful, delicious summer soup.

STRAWBERRY WATERMELON GAZPACHO

Serves: 8

1/4 of a large watermelon

2 cups strawberries

4 limes juiced

1/8 of a large watermelon

1 medium vidalia onion

1 cucumber

1/2 yellow bell pepper

1/2 green pepper

1 bunch cilantro

8 slices pickled jalapenos, or more

Pinch of sugar or to taste

Pinch of salt

Puree 1/4 watermelon in blender or food processor, add berries and process.

Chop or thinly slice onion. Peel, seed and chop cucumber. Chop bell

peppers and jalapenos. Chop 1/8 watermelon. Chop cilantro.

Combine all ingredients in large bowl, adjust seasoning and chill

thoroughly.

I may be in Nashville but my heart's in Cornwall

• 11 months later...

One year later . . .

I'm planning to make some cold soups for a backyard birthday party this weekend. I'm liking the idea of two gazpacho-like soups, one red and the other green. The challenge is to make them different but complementary, and both extremely delicious.

What's the key to a nice gazpacho?

Must true gazpacho incorporate bread and stock?

Edited by Peter the eater (log)

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack