• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pistachio Marzipan

Lior

Impatient me... Okay, so I didn't wait for advice. I can always go and do it another time!

I used Grewelings marzipan recipefor pistachios but had to do it a bit differently since I began with this beautifully smooth p. paste. I made the syrup (I used rose water instead of regular) and poured it onto the paste and mixed gently. So I ended up with yummy green sand. I thought I had better food process it anyway even though it was smooth sand. It reminded me of Halvah only from pistachios! So it was still sandy-ish. I added more rose water, eachtime a squirt and processed and then it came together more. I added some vodka-maybe 2 or 3 teaspoons and "walla"! I had a nice green ball of marzipan. It is a bit oily though. I will take a photo. I love the taste but then again I am mad for pistachios.

Mmmm, that sounds delicious! And like you, I'm crazy about pistachios.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I will look into that green idea! Clever! Well here are my pralines before dipping:

and marbled- extra and in between pieces after cutting out (hence that flexi Pavoni ganache mould would be handy) :

and finished. The top Pistachio layer kind of drooped a bit due to the warm chocolate.:

Recipe:

250 g raw pistachio nuts- I shelled and that's it. I think if I blanched and peeled the outer thin peel my color may be better.

62g of almonds, bought blanched broken pieces and ground

125g sugar

3g water

First I ground the almonds in my little coffee grinder (2 batches)

Then I did the same with the Pistachios- in small batches!

Then I put it all in the food processor as I thought it may work just as well!

I put the water and sugar in a small pot and mixed and stirred and wiped down sides till it reached 121C It quicky passed that by a few degrees... be careful and prepared!

So mine was a golden colored syrup and I think it should have been opaque. So my pistachio paste has a slight caramel tone to it- not at all bad!

I added this to the food processor while it was working. Then I just continued grinding till the machine heat up. I wold allow the machine to cool down and I would then continue. Until it was too much! The rest is history recorded above!

Enjoy!

editted for space bar issues!

I've made pistachio marzipan using Peter Greweling's formula and it was a great success. The color is a "soft" green, with a smooth texture. After nearly destroying my home food processor I bought a Waring commercial model which does much better with these types of products.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"