• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foodblog: SobaAddict70

Soba, it's nice to see you here. I'm late to your party - been away from the computer - but now that I've caught up, I see you've been answering questions I might have asked. I have no questions at this time, just some applause:

First and most seriously: I'm more sorry than words can say to read about the HIV, but I applaud your approach to living well. You're an inspiration.

Wow, that kitchen! I applaud your ability to cook in it at all!

Wow, your gorgeous produce shots and food photos! They're making me entirely too hungry!

Keep on blogging, dear hobbit. You've got quite a well-deserved following.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thanks! You know, I have some parmesan and asparagus in my fridge right now, so I'm going to make what you made! Except I need some bread to go underneath. Hmmm...maybe I should make some Hollandaise to go along with it...

I might go out and buy some fresher eggs, though. I think Chufi is right--my eggs might be a little older. My water might be a little too hot, too. I have more bubbles than you did.

I want to see more desserts. Got any more lined up? Like a good New York-style cheesecake? I miss cheesecake that isn't Japanese-style.

Dinner at Tabla tonight...

gallery_28660_6023_64420.jpg

Executive Chef Floyd Cardoz

gallery_28660_6023_60251.jpg

Kachumber Kooler -- green chiles, cucumber, cilantro, Plymouth gin

gallery_28660_6023_9267.jpg

Masala Mary -- Spiced tomato juice with Ketel One and pickled cippolini onions

gallery_28660_6023_172388.jpg

Sampler of chatni

Left to right: cilantro chatni, tamarind chatni, rhubarb chatni

gallery_28660_6023_41000.jpg

Navaratan dal -- beans and lentils flavored with ghee

gallery_28660_6023_24280.jpg

Naan

gallery_28660_6023_179642.jpg

Saag paneer pizza -- spiced creamed spinach with crumbled Coach Farm goat cheese on corn roti

gallery_28660_6023_226287.jpg

Sea scallop ceviche -- marinated with chilies, cucumber, Thai basil and peanuts

gallery_28660_6023_173067.jpg

New Orleans shrimp curry -- Goan classic coconut curry with green mango

gallery_28660_6023_122772.jpg

Basmati rice pilaf with baby cilantro

gallery_28660_6023_289626.jpg

Grilled lambchops

gallery_28660_6023_55867.jpg

Asparagus foogath -- asparagus sauteed with mustard seeds, ginger, kokum and fresh coconut

gallery_28660_6023_73805.jpg

Banana leaf roasted mahi-mahi -- marinated with a Parsi coconut-coriander chatni

gallery_28660_6023_128942.jpg

Chicken kofta korma -- chicken meatballs seasoned with cashews, cilantro, ginger and yogurt

gallery_28660_6023_128530.jpg

Kumquat, citrus and pineapple fruit salad

gallery_28660_6023_138869.jpg

Pineapple upside down cake, macadamia crunch ice cream, rum sauce

Here is one relevant thread on the New York forum.

Tabla is located at 11 Madison Avenue (East 25th Street) in the Flatiron district of Manhattan.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Prasantrin --

I'll see what I can do. I'm generally not a big dessert eater (that is, I won't actively seek out sweet stuff). However if you put it in front of me, 99.9% of the time I probably won't mind.

I'm easy like that. :wink:

What a nice blog!

What good taste in beans you have. Spooky!

Is it me or are you eating really well these days? Before I remember power shakes and seaweed ice cream (not really, but close) and you've blossomed as a cook, it seems.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

After dinner, the three of us went and spent some time with various folks setting up for the Big Apple BBQ Block Party.

Some preview pix:

gallery_28660_6023_151334.jpg

John Marcus of Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q

gallery_28660_6023_56000.jpg

gallery_28660_6023_79493.jpg

gallery_28660_6023_101024.jpg

gallery_28660_6023_219699.jpg

And stopped by a kitchen store on the way back to Jason's car:

gallery_28660_6023_165505.jpg

gallery_28660_6023_25995.jpg

gallery_28660_6023_175585.jpg

gallery_28660_6023_157455.jpg

I have an early day tomorrow. LOTS of pix this weekend. Talk to y'all later. :biggrin:

What a nice blog!

What good taste in beans you have. Spooky!

Is it me or are you eating really well these days? Before I remember power shakes and seaweed ice cream (not really, but close) and you've blossomed as a cook, it seems.

Thanks Rancho. :wink:

Whoa, the food at Tabla looks delicious - I just made a mental note to visit during my next NYC trip. Also, I have been looking for an opportunity to try cooking banana leaf-wrapped fish in Parsi green chatni. Your picture may help that dish elbow its way to the front of the line. How did you like it?

Looking forward to the barbecue.

And we have poached egg success!!

I didn't get new eggs or bread (too lazy to go out), and I forgot to add shaved parmesan, but it was still perfect! I think I wasn't getting enough of a vortex in my previous attempts, plus my water was boiling too hard.

That pineapple upside down cake will do for now! It's one of my favourite cakes, and I like it far more than cheesecake. I never thought I'd care much for the food at Tabla (just from watching Floyd Cardoz cook on tv), but I think if I ever make it to New York, I just might have to try it!

Edited by prasantrin (log)

I'm going to open a can of worms.

YOu know how you did your quick soak thing?

You can just start cooking them. Bring them to a full boil and boil them for about 15 minutes and then just let them simmer on very low until done.

When you think about it, having them "quick soak" in hot water is virtually the same thing as cooking. Why not follow the lead of millions of Mexicans and Indians and just cook them? Some people will tell you this helps the gas. Some people will tell you that falling in love is wonderful, too. Don't trust them!

My Midnight beans are super fresh and if given the choice, I'd soak for 2 hours and then cook. If I hadn't, I'd just cook.

Bean cooks are like martini aficionados. They think their technique is a religion.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Thanks MFG.

Dear all, I'm quite exhausted and still a bit full from eating BBQ all day. Sort of ditching dinner plans in favor of something light. More later.

A selection of pix from today:

gallery_28660_6023_18521.jpg

gallery_28660_6023_73513.jpg

gallery_28660_6023_80432.jpg

Frying hushpuppies (City Grocery)

gallery_28660_6023_27686.jpg

Spareribs closeup (Blue Smoke)

gallery_28660_6023_187317.jpg

Entertainment at one of the band stages

gallery_28660_6023_78612.jpg

Pork cracklings (Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q)

gallery_28660_6023_210876.jpg

Brisket, extra fatty....with coleslaw (Wilson's Barbecue)

More BBQ pix tomorrow. Stay tuned. :wink:

I'm going to open a can of worms.

YOu know how you did your quick soak thing?

You can just start cooking them. Bring them to a full boil and boil them for about 15 minutes and then just let them simmer on very low until done.

When you think about it, having them "quick soak" in hot water is virtually the same thing as cooking. Why not follow the lead of millions of Mexicans and Indians and just cook them? Some people will tell you this helps the gas. Some people will tell you that falling in love is wonderful, too. Don't trust them!

My Midnight beans are super fresh and if given the choice, I'd soak for 2 hours and then cook. If I hadn't, I'd just cook.

Bean cooks are like martini aficionados. They think their technique is a religion.

I've done that in the past RG, but not to satisfactory results. I'll be diplomatic and say my method works best for me. :raz:

I agree with Racho Gordo, I just cook my beans without soaking or simmering. I'm pretty pleased with the results.

I meant to say Mabuhay dear hobbit! I never knew there was a Filipino in the LOTR. :biggrin:. I too am enjoying your very colorful blog.

BTW, my hubby is sighing over those BBQ pictures. Hubby's from Kentucky, one of the BBQ capital cities of the USA.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I'm a bit late, but just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work: it's been an inspirational blog and wow, great photos from Tabla: must make more chutney. And, congrats on getting hold of some peach butter!

P.S.: Did you get a photo of any Brunswick stew? I've been threatening to make some for Chufi...

+++

Edited by markemorse (log)

Fantastic pictures, Stash. What are you shooting with - assuming it hasn't been asked, yet.

I look forward to the Big Apple BBQ every year here on eG because I am too far from NYC to drive. The coverage gets better and better.

Tabla's menu - the drinks! - is sumptuous. Thanks for that. Extra special that you chilled with the OTB posse for that amazing meal.

Cheers! :smile:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

P.S.: Did you get a photo of any Brunswick stew? I've been threatening to make some for Chufi...

gallery_1890_1967_73636.jpg

I meant to eat something last night but I think I was too tired to even cook. :shock:

Anyway, I'll probably head down there in a little bit.

Fantastic pictures, Stash.  What are you shooting with - assuming it hasn't been asked, yet. 

I look forward to the Big Apple BBQ every year here on eG because I am too far from NYC to drive.  The coverage gets better and better.

Tabla's menu - the drinks! - is sumptuous.  Thanks for that.  Extra special that you chilled with the OTB posse for that amazing meal.

Cheers!  :smile:

All of the pix are from a Nikon Coolpix L3. Proof that you don't need to have a really expensive digicam to take some great pictures.

As far as digicams go, the L3 rates on the bottom of the barrel. Lens speed isn't fast enough, particularly when it comes to low-light situations. But in broad daylight, or in some restaurants like at Hearth (see a couple pix below), it suits my needs perfectly.

gallery_1890_1967_88839.jpg

Seared hamachi, celery, black radish, Granny Smith apple

gallery_1890_1967_237007.jpg

Seared scallop, hen of the woods mushrooms, parsnip puree, caviar viniagrette

gallery_1890_1967_36405.jpg

Mussels, sunchoke chips, Copper River salmon, Jerusalem artichokes, herb broth

gallery_1890_1967_258101.jpg

Apple cider doughnuts, creme fraiche sorbet

:smile:

Day 2 of the Big Apple BBQ Block Party was today. I think I'll be doing penance in the form of vegetables for the next seven days.... :biggrin:

gallery_28660_6023_159393.jpg

Ed Mitchell, pitmaster and owner of The Pit in Raleigh, North Carolina

gallery_28660_6023_3086.jpg

Pulled pork, pork crackling and ribs, with vinegar sauce (The Pit)

gallery_28660_6023_21955.jpg

St. Louis-style ribs (Baker's Ribs)

gallery_28660_6023_22671.jpg

Band at The Bourbon Bar, next to Eleven Madison Park

gallery_28660_6023_253321.jpg

Kansas City-style ribs and coleslaw (Blue Smoke)

gallery_28660_6023_192623.jpg

Chopped salad -- English cucumber, heirloom tomatoes, peppers, Italian parsley, lovage, sea salt, extra-virgin olive oil

I'm taking a short break before prepping dinner. Talk to y'all in a bit.

Thanks Ckcatcook. :wink:

Dinner tonight:

gallery_28660_6023_23063.jpg

Heirloom radishes and asparagus braised with butter and herbs

heirloom radishes, trimmed

asparagus, trimmed (be sure to leave tips whole)

unsalted butter

shallot, peeled and diced

sage, minced

salt and pepper

water

Melt butter in a saucepan. Saute shallots and sage for 1-2 minutes. Add radishes and asparagus, a pinch of salt and pepper and water to cover. Simmer for three to five minutes, partially covered or until radishes are tender.

Transfer to a serving bowl. Bring braising liquid to a boil and add 2 T. unsalted butter, cut into bits. Reduce liquid to about 1/4 cup, then pour over vegetables. Serve immediately.

Crimini mushrooms sauteed with garlic, parsley and lime

ETA recipe

Thanks for the support, folks. I've had a fabulous week!

Wow, what a week.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren