• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weekend Party plans for a crowd

StanSherman

I’m planning the food for 3-5 meals for a weekend event this November in SE Kansas. The group is mainly pyrotechnicians and their family and friends. Friday night we wish to emphasize a social gathering and some low-key pyro demonstrations with apres-boom bonfire, while Saturday the whole day is energetically spent preparing for a four hour fireworks show spread out over 40 acres. At dark-thirty, usually 6pm, the fun begins. Last year we opened the show with 124,000 firecrackers going off at once, then 25,000 Saturn missiles went off. About 20 teams did smaller displays and then two professional companies went at it. 1300 large aerial shells hit the sky to music. We like to say we painted the sky. A show that would put most cities’ 4th of July events to shame. This was all done with private money and personal effort during which many diverse people cooperated at a high level of coordination, without any “official” organization.

By 8:00pm the Highway Patrol had to block off several major area roads to help the cars pulled off the road to sit and enjoy the show. The public was not apprised in advance of the show, so people came in droves to find the source of the sky show. The only part of the weekend that was disorganized was the food. It needs major help and improvement over last year. I’ve stepped up to volunteer my efforts. I’m planning early, since we still have time to add to the garden if necessary.

The tone needs to be kept as far away from a club or convention as possible. This is just a loose group of friends. Even though certain people need to “be in charge” for safety reasons, we want a family atmosphere with nobody being required to pay or do anything they don’t want. We usually get enough donations to cover the costs and give a few bucks to a charity. Alcohol is not served until about 11pm when the safety officer gives the all-clear order, so wine pairings are not an issue.

We have a big party tent, large BBQ, possible BBQ trailer rig, Propane burners, large pressure cooker, cast iron Dutch ovens, cast iron turkey roaster Dutch oven, Digital Bradley smoker, coffee makers. We have a backhoe if we want to put a whole pig in the ground and several smart seasoned rednecks (mostly Hillbillies with chemical engineering degrees) to build most anything. (their definition)

My first thoughts are:

Friday night party: (100 people)

This should be the fun one.

Saturday Breakfast: (25 people camping)

On hand several home grown jams. We can cure and smoke bacon and ham. ¾ of the crew heads of at 9:00 am to tour and buy fireworks from a local nationwide distributor.

Saturday lunch: (100 people hard working crews with very little time)

Besides everyone else I need make one crew(15) a very special lunch. They do the main show gratis. Last year they shot off 1300 shells. They have to string miles of wire and fuse them all, after trucking in high explosives, truckloads of racks and more equipment than most rock bands. They will be scrambling all day and will need to be fed in 20 minutes.

Saturday dinner. (100-200 people)

We have the option of catering by one of the best fried chicken joints I’ve ever been to. The area is famous for it. There is a serious labor shortage on Saturday afternoon so this may be the best option.

Saturday post shoot before the bonfire

About a hundred people will be trapped for 30-60 minutes while the roads unclog. (I’m thinking coffee, deserts and hot chocolate for the kiddies)

Sunday Brunch (25? People to say farewell)

We are looking for some great fun and practical ideas from my food-obsessed friends.

BTW

If any pyro-loving creative chefs want to help with the food for this group. I can barter but not pay since we are attempting to keep this as non-commercial as possible. (we can pass a tip jar around) Your real payment will be a day/weekend of camaraderie with a nice group of people from about 10 states, some of us drive up to 2,000 miles to participate. You will have front row seats for a pyro show at least 4 hours long, of the best aerial stuff you can have in a show. Do you know what a “Thump Junkie” is? It’s those of us that just can’t get over the nearby, deep thump of the guns firing the big aerial shells, the thump of the shell exploding overhead and you’re right there, something you will never experience at a commercial city show where you are kept far away from the show site. You might be a Thump Junkie and not know it! You will be part of a family of privileged close-up viewers while a whole good-sized town is green with envy. Last year they started the show with salutes, that were heard 10 miles East and West in nearby towns. Everyone is aiming to have this year be even better and more fun.

Edited by StanSherman (log)

When this lass thinks of a big gathering, her heart immediately flutters to the thought of smoked and pulled butt. It is forgiving, easy and just about as cheap as it gets. Serve with those dollar rolls from costco, a coupla sauces and coleslaw, or with tortillas, some shredded cabbage, pico and queso.

Kids like it, adults like it. Butt can easily be smoked in advance and reheated gently in a low oven.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

When this lass thinks of a big gathering, her heart immediately flutters to the thought of smoked and pulled butt.  It is forgiving, easy and just about as cheap as it gets.  Serve with those dollar rolls from costco, a coupla sauces and coleslaw, or with tortillas, some shredded cabbage, pico and queso.

Kids like it, adults like it.  Butt can easily be smoked in advance and reheated gently in a low oven.

I would tend to agree with you. Sat lunch may be a good time. I like the idea of going Latin since these guys are always getting Q. I have a better chance of sneaking in some fresh veggies and fruit too.

Edited by StanSherman (log)

Wow, very cool!! I live near Wichita!

My first thought was chili. Easy to make ahead and keep warm. Pans of cornbread or loaves of rustic crusty bread......shredded cheeses, jalapeños, chopped onions etc.

For the post fireworks big pans of cinnamon rolls.

I'll check with our American Royal team. Sounds like a road trip might be in order. And we're not just Q - we routinely feed 150 for various occasions. This is intriguing.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Shelby, Moosnsqrl and everyone else

The byline for the event is: "Consider your self invited" I would love some help and advice. I'm moving from Northern California to Iowa this summer and need to make some adjustments.

Shelby, Moosnsqrl and everyone else

The byline for the event is: "Consider your self invited"  I would love some help and advice.  I'm moving from Northern California to Iowa this summer and need to make some adjustments.

Sounds like fun. Last week I made dinner for 225 at my house and transported the food 2 miles to the local high school cafeteria for an event there. The hit of the night was a "loaded" baked potato salad. I baked 60 lbs of red skin potatoes, then diced and sprinkled with malt vinegar while still warm. Then mixed in grated onion, sour cream, mayo, parsley, S & P and chopped bacon. Everyone loved this salad and it was easy for me (a home cook) to make because I was able to bake the potatoes rather than boiling or steaming them. BTW, 10 lbs of potatoes fit on one oven rack! :cool: You probably need about 25 lbs for 100 people.

gallery_51874_6032_192794.jpg

Mixing the potato salad:

gallery_51874_6032_2775.jpg

Also popular was southwest corn and bean salad.

gallery_51874_6032_19565.jpg

To round out the menu, I served a simple tossed green salad w/herb vinaigrette and grill-seasoned chicken tenderloins (roasted in my oven because I don't have a grill large enough for 65 lbs of chicken). Also dinner rolls (purchased).

Personally, I think that for people like me (a non-professional) it is important to keep menus simple when serving large quantities of food. Through trial and error, I find this to be the most successful approach (both for me and the diners).

Good luck with your event - it sounds like a "blast". :blink: