• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coconut Sorbet at La Forchette, Avignon

This past March, my husband and I traveled to Provence and one day, we had lunch at La Forchette in Avignon. Heavenly lunch and the highlight was this amazing coconut sorbet for dessert. It had such an intense flavor and wonderful texture. Here is what I tried, and it is good, but lacks to the intense coconut flavor. I should also mention that I have never really made anything with coconut (excepting my very fine coconut layer cake), so I am unsure as to how to coax the flavor out of it.

I used:

14 oz coconut milk

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 cup sugar

8 oz milk

2 tbl flake coconut

I combined the coconut milk, salt, sugar and coconut flake and stirred until the sugar dissolved and chilled for several hours. Then I stirred in the cold milk and made the sherbet.

I realize that this is a sherbet base rather than sorbet. Even though La Forchette called it a sorbet, it seemed richer than a sorbet--more like a sherbet, and on that front, I think I was correct, but the intense coconuttiness is lacking. It was still a very nice ice cream.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

S. Cue

I recently had some coconut sherbet someone had made from Emily Luchetti's "Passion for Ice-cream" book...I don't have it myself, but I managed to glance at it while I was still over there, because I wanted to remake it at home!! I was very surprised to find out it was simply a matter of whisking together 1 1/2 cups coconut milk with 1 cup cream of coconut, and a tablespoon or so of sugar. Chill, and pour into ice-cream machine! It was divine paired with pineapple chunks.... mmm. This was the only coconut sherbet I've ever had, so I'm not sure how "intense" the coconut flavor was, but I sure enjoyed it :smile:

follow my food adventures as

the sweet gourmand

I wonder if using young coconut juice (not milk or cream, but the coconut "water") pureed with pieces of young coconut might help. I often get a slush-like drink that has young coconut juice, young coconut pieces, and a bit of half and half pureed together. It's quite delicious, and very rich.

Spray dried coconut milk powder works great for bolstering coconut milk with more intense flavor. I didn't originally buy it for that purpose but I find myself using it for that quite often now.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Hi,

Maybe you can try:

1. Coconut milk+sugar+ice cream maker(too simple I know~);

2. Freshly-made coconut milk+sugar+ice cream maker(esp. it’s freshness that you are looking for. Prepackaged coconut milk won’t taste as good)

3. What other Egulleters suggest(for a strong coconut flavor)

HTH

• 2 months later...

i make coconut sorbet quite a bit and i do think its rather tasty compared to most I've tried. i'd have to scale it down but the sugar is probably 20-22% of the total liquid. The liquid is roughly 60% coconut milk and the rest water. So if your machine can handle 1 quart it would be like 1/4 quart of sugar. This sounds like a lot but its you need quite a bit of sugar to cream the sorbet. Feel free to cut the sugar a little bit, but if you do it too much then you will experience iciness.

You can throw in some coconut flakes for texture. Its nice and smooth plus a heavy coconut flavor. So for the most part its just mixing the coconut milk, warm water, and some superfine sugar then putting it into your maker. You might need to chill it first depending on your machine. And this sorbet won't last long. With anything made in an ice cream machine and in a home freezer I'd give it a week then its no good.

I'm a bit of a coconut fanatic. My family in the Philippines still farms them along with mangoes, pineapples, and kalamansi. There's nothing better than climbing up a tree then taking your machete to smack some coconuts open. The worst drink I've ever had was coconut wine. I thought I was going to die.

But I don't think coconut water or young coconut is ideal for making ice cream or sorbet, they just don't have the body for it.

i have absolutely no idea how to help you recreate your recipe, but wanted to chime in to thank you for reminding me of an amazing meal we had at la fourchette nearly a decade ago. i wasn't sure the place was still there, as i have never heard or read a word about it, but we just had the best time there, and it was the first time i had poulet a bresse. thanks for the memories!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook