• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 1)

The globe veggie coffee house space on 14th tween pike and pine is being renovated. Anyone know if its becoming something new or just cleaned up?

It is being Cleaned up and should be reopening this week.

Edited by vinelady (log)

This may be old news...but it appears Clara's in Wallingford is done. Drove by today, windows were all papered up...

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

This may be old news...but it appears Clara's in Wallingford is done. Drove by today, windows were all papered up...

I walked by two weekends back and Wayne mentioned he was selling - soon.

Pacific Garden in the ID to close in early June.

Get your Chinglish on while you can...

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Goodbye to Spazzo (seen on Komo's 11pm news).

Apparently Bellevue's Key Bank building was sold to someone who didn't want to extend a new lease to Spazzo, and will convert it to office space.

I can't imagine office space being more a more profitable leasing choice unless it has something to do with parking costs, since lease rates for restaurants usually run a bit higher than same-geographic-location office facilities, so I doubt this is the complete story. Spazzo had shut down their lunch operation a while back so I think it may have been a failure of minds to meet pocketbooks.

In any event, Spazzo will apparently expire on Friday night.

It wasn't a great place, but it was sometimes one of the better moderate-budget late night nibble options in downtown Bellevue. And except for Flo (Japanese), I'm not sure if there's anything else offering tapas-like dining in downtown Bellevue.

(Since I live in Fremont and my business is not wildly profitable, I'm not doing lots of dining out even of modest extravagance, so apologies if I'm not aware of new/interesting options in downtown Bellevue).

Edited by JasonTrue (log)

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Yes, the Godfather's space is finally getting filled, but not a restaurant: US Bank (the branch at Broadway and Olive is moving).

Matthew learned today that the former Simply Thai space on Broadway will be the second location of Pho Cyclo, which sounded great in recent reviews.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Kosher Delight (at the Market) - dark and empty. Is it gone or any chance a remodeling is under way?

Only sketchy details so far, but according to a neighboring vendor, it's gone, he's moving to somewhere in South Seattle, and he sold Kosher Delight.

Pat

It's completely gutted. Not even a sink or plumbing to be found.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

the WS space that closed down (admiral cafe)? is being turned into a Bank of America. clearly the one in the safeway half a block away is insufficient.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

denny & elliot?

so by the PI building?

I was wrong Denny and Western, the addy will be 3131 Western, so yeah, kinda by the P-I building.

Rocky

Its gonna be in the NW Work Lofts building.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Four of us went to the new Goldbergs' Deli in Bellevue last night. Both the kitchen and dining room were clearly overwhelmed. I ordered a corned beef and tongue sandwich on rye with coleslaw, and the waiter told me they couldn't combine two deli meats in one sandwich because there was no code for it in the restaurant computer! Eventually (90 minutes later) they did manage to make our four sandwiches. They were ok, but the crumb on the rye bread was dense and under-baked.

I will say that while I don't mind seeing the pinnacle of American Jewish restaurant food, the gourmet delicatessen with Formica table, turned into a mall eatery, I do object to their "Goldburger," which is a plenty treyf cheeseburger. My grandmother never ate a cheeseburger in the shtetl, and she certainly never cooked me one. The Swampscott, Mass deli where she shopped had better corned beef and tongue, and the bakery down the street by far had better marbled rye.

I walked by two weekends back and Wayne mentioned he was selling - soon.

Went up to Hiroki's (he used to make the cheesecake for Clara's) and he said Wayne had sold the business and it was going to become a Mediterranean restaurant). Wayne is planning to spend a little time in Hawaii and then look for a place further up north to re-open. Apparently that area of Wallingford is kind of a tough place for business...on street parking is atrocious (as is the traffic). Gonna miss his kalua and cabbage and meatloaf sandwiches!

Miulang

P.S. If you're looking for Hawaiian style "local" food and live on the Eastside, you might want to try out Lei's Family Restaurant in downtown Duvall. They even have fresh poke on Friday nights! Their grand opening was on May Day (which is also Lei Day in Hawaii). We were over there about 3 weeks before the grand opening so most of their Hawaiian menu still hadn't been rolled out. I understand they are serving "plate lunches" now too, including the ubiquitous "loco moco".

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw a sign up: ex Max & Bookers on Market St. in Ballard (which was previously the Burger King) is now going to become, wait for it...

a Burger King :wacko:

I wonder if the new franchise owners asked about why the last one failed???

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

i'm sure someone here must have the back story about the jack's space. it's been vacant for 5 years. it seems to undergo sporadic papering and unpapering, but until now it hasn't seemed seriously about to open.

who left that (prime) space vacant for so long, and why? do i smell another capitol hill evil landlord situation?

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

who left that (prime) space vacant for so long, and why? do i smell another capitol hill evil landlord situation?

About a year ago I was casually talking to someone out in front of Jacks--owner's partner? realtor? sorry, can't remember--and he said that when Jacks moved out, they left some pretty serious plumbing problems behind in the kitchen, which would require a major effort and expense to repair before the space could be used again as a restaurant. Since it seems like 15th has been a tough place for new restaurants, maybe nobody's been willing to pony up the cost until now.

Paul

Paul Clarke

Seattle

The Cocktail Chronicles

• 3 years later...