• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 1)

the admiral way cafe is up for public auction today between 10-12. we were just wondering the other day how that place stayed in business...it was kind of like Mel's diner.

in a way, i'm sorry to see it go. the food was bad and the service pretty indifferent, but older people went there because they knew what to expect.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

It looks like Supreme in Madrona is done.  Their website isn't up any more, and when I called their phone number, the answering machine identified the number as "the new site of the Sapphire bar and grill."

Sapphire? Is this in any way related to the Sapphire on top of Queen Anne, or is it just a naming coincidence?

It looks like Supreme in Madrona is done.  Their website isn't up any more, and when I called their phone number, the answering machine identified the number as "the new site of the Sapphire bar and grill."

Sapphire? Is this in any way related to the Sapphire on top of Queen Anne, or is it just a naming coincidence?

It's the same, they are expanding. I think there was a write up about it a few weeks ago in the Times.

We went to El Chucacabra (sp?) last night, a new little place right were Greenwood starts to bend south into Phinney Ave in the old Stalk Exchange space. It's actually a bar that serves a small selection of burritos, tacos, nachos and poppers. There were quite a few confused looked neighborhood folks in there, many with kids, since I think we all thought it was a full service Mexican restaurant. The owners are formerly of Linda's and the Storeroom, which gives you an idea of what it's like. The food isn't anything to write home about, but it's nice to have a full service bar on the street, it's got a pool table and jukebox, and when the weather is warmer the deck will be a nice hangout.

Edited by kiliki (log)

We went to El Chucacabra (sp?) last night, a new little place right were Greenwood starts to bend south into Phinney Ave in the old Stalk Exchange space.  It's actually a bar that serves a small selection of burritos, tacos, nachos and poppers. There were quite a few confused looked neighborhood folks in there, many with kids, since I think we all thought it was a full service Mexican restaurant. The owners are formerly of Linda's and the Storeroom, which gives you an idea of what it's like. The food isn't anything to write home about, but it's nice to have a full service bar on the street, it's got a pool table and jukebox, and when the weather is warmer the deck will be a nice hangout.

I stuck my head in Friday night - it was pretty crowded, and I didn't stay.

I'm looking forward to the Italian place next door.

• 3 weeks later...
Il Forno is open in Ballard at 24th and Market.  Today it the first day.  I haven't seen the menu yet but the window says Wine and Dishes.

Which corner? Kitchen Store?

The SW corner, actually a bit to the west of the corner about 2 buildings. I am not sure what the meny will be, I am guessing Italian.

Edited by vinelady (log)

Il Forno is open in Ballard at 24th and Market.  Today it the first day.  I haven't seen the menu yet but the window says Wine and Dishes.

The SW corner, actually a bit to the west of the corner about 2 buildings. I am not sure what the meny will be, I am guessing Italian.

For those of us "old-timers" it's where Burk's used to be.......

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Oh, thanks. I can't find anything now, but somehow I thought this was Don Curtis's place?

Italian cheffie

Can anyone confirm?

Oh, thanks. I can't find anything now, but somehow I thought this was Don Curtis's place?

Can anyone confirm?

The Don Curtis place, Volterra, is on Ballard Ave NW near the intersection with 22nd Ave, where Burk's used to be.

Can anyone confirm?

The Don Curtis place, Volterra, is on Ballard Ave NW near the intersection with 22nd Ave, where Burk's used to be.

Ah, that makes more sense - so Ballard gets two more new ones, both Italian? Wow - last year it was Mex. Or maybe it's a wine store with dishes for sale? Let's start some rumors.

The red painted lounge at 1st and Battery opened last week - nice looking nibbles menu, didn't walk in - too many smokers. I think it is called El Rey? Another circular bar. Anyone know anything more about this place?

Around the corner, En was closed for the winter but spruced up a bit and are reopening (maybe already did.) Never been.

Don Curtiss' place- Volterra is open now in the old Burks space. The food is incredible and very interesting wine list. They have the menu posted in the window.

I also went to Il Forno on Thursday- on Market across from Archie McPhees. It's just as awful as Romantica was. Terrible interiors.

Is this new Il Forno connected to the pizza place Il Forno on Olive Way (Capitol Hill)?

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

There's a new Thai place called Thai 65 on the Ave just north of the Himalayan sherpa place. The food and decor is just OK.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Lake City Alert -- There's a new barbecue place coming soon (I hope) on Lake City Way -- around 80th & Lake City Way, maybe just a little north, on the left-hand side when you're going north. They've looked like they're going to open any day now for a few months, but I have seen recent activity and it looks like they're getting close.

I still miss the Cave Man barbeque on Lake City Way, farther up & on the right-hand side, that used to be there. I'm not a big barbecue eater but I do like it every once in a while. And that barbecue seemed to me to be pretty good.

But I know "barbecue" is a loaded topic, so I will quit while I'm ahead.

SusieQ

The red painted lounge at 1st and Battery opened last week - nice looking nibbles menu, didn't walk in - too many smokers. I think it is called El Rey? Another circular bar. Anyone know anything more about this place?

Oops, Del Rey. No circular bar.

The old two dagos space, 1st and Vine has a tavern license posted "Black Bottle"

Oops, Del Rey. No circular bar.

it's owned by the barca people.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Kosher Delight (at the Market) - dark and empty. Is it gone or any chance a remodeling is under way?

Only sketchy details so far, but according to a neighboring vendor, it's gone, he's moving to somewhere in South Seattle, and he sold Kosher Delight.

I'm bummed, between this and Roxy's back in their first year (as opposed to what they became before closing) what am I going to do for matzoh ball soup downtown on a cold rainy day? :sad:

Pat

Edited by Sleepy_Dragon (log)

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-