• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 1)

Hubby and I stopped in The Apartment last night on the spur of the moment. Very cute inside, I haven't had a chance to check it out before. Reminds me a bit of the SauceBox in Portland if anyone has been.

They have a happy hour from 5-7 with $4 and $5 drinks- martinis, champagne cocktails, infused vodkas and well drinks. They also had a small $5 happy hour nosh menu.

We sat at the bar. Very cool flat screen playing an old black and white film. I tried the Raspberry Shortcake champagne cocktail and Dayne had the Dirty Monkey martini (godiva liquor, banana liquor, and other stuff) both were fun and good but we had to have a nice refreshing well drink after as they were sweet!

We shared a plate of the sauteed mushrooms. Very nice in a reduction of chardonnay?? Served with 2 pieces of sliced baguette with goat cheese.

It's very small, dark with cream leather booths. It's pretty and the drinks were good. we'll most likely check it out again.

Little Ms Foodie and I went to Nectar in Fremont for happy hour tonight. (412 N 36th). Happy hour is 3 pm - 7 pm.

No cocktail specials but pitchers of beer were $6.00 (I think Bud was $4.00 for a pitcher). We had the Mac & Jacks.

Pizza's were $5.00. I would guess they were about 10 inches. We had the Spicey Mo (or named something to that effect) Pepperoni, pepperoncini, jalepeno and mozzarella. I picked - I can't resist jalapeno and pepperoni - I know, I know, weird, but try it - it's good! :biggrin:

They had about 8 or 9 different pizza topping combos. We thought it had too much sauce, but the crust was thin and crispy and for $5.00 it was pretty darn good.

They have other apps for $3.00 including a decent sized nachos. I don't remember all the other choices but I am pretty sure there was a bruscetta (sp) in there someplace.

The space is quite big with an upstairs that has tables and a view of the main floor. The main floor has a huge big screen tv that was showing a b-ball game when we were in tonight. There is a stage and they have live bands and dj's but fortunately not when we were there tonight!

Not sure if they are trying to be swank, hip, industrial or all three. I looked around but didn't see anyone smoking so maybe it is non-smoking inside but don't quote me on that - I could be wrong. They have space out front with some space heaters so I am thinking springtime would be great for outdoor drinks.

I think that is the full report. Not worth making a special trip for in my opinon, but worth stopping by if you are in the neighborhood and feel like some bar snacks and a beer.

Jones BBQ has opened another location in Columbia City.

Where is it?

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Where is it?

East of Rainier, on Ferdinand - or Edmunds?

On another note, Belltown closed - the short lived replacement to the pub, that is. Sign said Business for Sale - sign is already gone.

Where is it?

East of Rainier, on Ferdinand - or Edmunds?

On another note, Belltown closed - the short lived replacement to the pub, that is. Sign said Business for Sale - sign is already gone.

You mean the one on Hudson & MLK Way (which has been there a long time)? Or is there a second one in Columbia City?

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Was torn on where to put this and decided that this thread was the best...Barring any major problems, the new Paglaicci in Kenmore will open for biz tomorrow, Thursday...Just in time to deliver the Salumi Primo! :laugh:

Jason

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Swung by World Cup on Roosevelt today for the first time. It'e next door to where The Continental Store and Deli moved to near 52nd and Roosevelt. It's billed as an espresso and wine bar, the coffee was okay but there was and excellent selection of wines, wines by the glass are a flat $5 and are rotated on a monthly basis to coincide with the wines of month. They also had the usual soups, sandwiches, paninis, and baked goods. They also have free wireless internet and outlets all over the place. The best part though were definitely the wines, they are all priced right around retail by the bottle, seeing as how it's about two blocks from where I live and with the Continental Store next door I could see myself using it as my alternate office. The staff were very nice and the space tiself is pleasant and warm. Sorry about the stream of consciousness nature of this post.

Rocky

Someone I work with said The Longshoreman's Daughter closed. Any confirmation?

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Someone I work with said The Longshoreman's Daughter closed.  Any confirmation?

The windows were papered over when I drove by last Thursday. I didn't stop to see whether it was closed for good or remodel or what.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Speaking of papered-over windows, ditto at Maguire's on 15th.

Really?!? That didn't last long. The couple of times I was there they were busy and it seemed like a great fit for that neighborhood. Wonder what happened.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

This is probably old news, but I was surfing the net, bookmarking food and restaurant webpages, and noticed that Burk's Cafe in Ballard is (or has already) closed. It wasn't the greatest cajun place, but Seattle has too few anyway.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Really?!? That didn't last long. The couple of times I was there they were busy and it seemed like a great fit for that neighborhood. Wonder what happened.

I wonder if it wasn't a financial issue -- somebody ran out of money and/or patience. It hadn't been open long, and I'd think that it would have had to stay for a while to establish itself vs. Coastal. The times that we were in, it seemed kinda quiet. I don't ever remember it being really crowded.

c

i play the rock. you shake the booty.

Longshoreman's is closed. I think all the staff was let go. The new owners are opening a vegan restaurant that used to be in the U district. Ugh.

Hal

Someone I work with said The Longshoreman's Daughter closed.  Any confirmation?

I wonder if it wasn't a financial issue -- somebody ran out of money and/or patience. It hadn't been open long, and I'd think that it would have had to stay for a while to establish itself vs. Coastal. The times that we were in, it seemed kinda quiet. I don't ever remember it being really crowded.

c

I'd be surprised if the ran out of money since it was part of Mick McHugh's empire and was supposedly his pet project. Maybe he just saw the writing on the wall and didn't want to continue hemorrhaging.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Mission - a new spot in West Seattle - opened earlier this week. In the old Lizzard Lounge spot, right next door to Cafe Zaffarano in the Admiral District, it's owned by three men, two of whom used to be at El Camino. It's a restaurant and bar, with an emphasis on restaurant until 10:00, and an aim to draw a late night crowd after 10:00. On their second night of business, they were certainly drawing the hip 20ish crowd.

Menu looked pretty good - not overly ambitious, but more interesting than typical bar fare. As the name implies, it focuses on Southwest/Mexican influences. Appetizers include quesadillas, flautas, guacamole and ceviche and range from $6 to $9. Entrees are priced reasonably ($8 to $12) - roasted game hen, two or three fish preparations, and skirt steak skewers and tacos, among others.

Good tequila list, full bar, smoking upstairs, no smoking downstairs before 10:00. Only had drinks tonight (good strong house margarita!), but will probably drop in soon to give the menu a whirl.

The Lighthouse restaurant on Alki beach has been closed for remodeling and will re-open as Chez Million, a French restaurant. Looks pretty glitzy inside with new chandeliers, wall paper, artwork, furniture, etc. and looks almost ready to open.

A new Mexican restauarant called Casa Feliz Mexican Grill & Bar is opening this week (following a remodel) on Alki beach in the spot that used to be Mamey's Cuban restaurant. It is directly below Siam ' Pura, a fairly new Thai restaurant (that I like) that replaced the Italian place that was there previously.

Silent Heart Nest vegetarian restaurant on the Ave at around 52nd is moving to Fremont, according to a sign in the door. Looks like its current location is pretty much done. It's too bad. We went there once, liked it, and just never got around to going back.

Just up the street, Johnny's American-Mediterranean Cuisine, which took over the space abandoned by the Brazilian Grill which recently resurfaced downtown, appears to still be waiting for its first customer. I walk past there every day and have yet to see anyone but the staff and/or apparent family members. This has been going on a few months. Perhaps they overestimated the market for hamburgers and gyros on the upper reaches of the Ave.

One final note: I overheard at the amazing Carta de Oaxaca in Ballard that they're expanding their space to have an open-air patio, and they expect this to be finished by summer (I guess it's in the building interior somehow, past where the bar and bathrooms are now). And they have no plans to open for lunch.

Silent Heart Nest vegetarian restaurant on the Ave at around 52nd is moving to Fremont, according to a sign in the door.  Looks like its current location is pretty much done.  It's too bad.  We went there once, liked it, and just never got around to going back. 

Just up the street, Johnny's American-Mediterranean Cuisine, which took over the space abandoned by the Brazilian Grill which recently resurfaced downtown, appears to still be waiting for its first customer.  I walk past there every day and have yet to see anyone but the staff and/or apparent family members.  This has been going on a few months.  Perhaps they overestimated the market for hamburgers and gyros on the upper reaches of the Ave.

One final note: I overheard at the amazing Carta de Oaxaca in Ballard that they're expanding their space to have an open-air patio, and they expect this to be finished by summer (I guess it's in the building interior somehow, past where the bar and bathrooms are now).  And they have no plans to open for lunch.

Silent Heart Nest is moving into the Longshoreman's Daughter space in Fremont.