• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 1)

At long last, Sofrito Rico in Ballard has opened! Yay! (Even though they stole my shift leader from me Grrrrr :angry::angry::angry: )

Haven't been there yet, but (as stated earlier) one of their cooks and one of the owners used to work for me here at the pizzeria. Great People, and they won best foodstand at last summers Ballard Seafood Fest!!!

Check em out and lemme know, I will be trying to get there soon...

www.sofritorico.com

Maybe time for yet another egullet gathering??? :laugh:

See ya,

Jason

edited to add URL

Edited by Fay Jai (log)

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

At long last, Sofrito Rico in Ballard has opened!

www.sofritorico.com

edited to add URL

Drove down Market (2320 NW Market Street) twice on Monday evening. Couldn't spot it. Probably their closed night and dark? What space did they take over? Or is it back in that icky little mall?

Looking forward to trying it.

Dayne and I stopped in to Sport last night after picking up some good stuff at the Cheese Cellar.

It's not just Howie's but KOMO and some other big city execs all are partners (from what I heard in the bar). It's very posh for a sports bar, no smoking that I could tell. Flat screen tv's of all sizes all over, each booth has it's own. Pretty good prices on drinks. I think we have to go back and try the Kobe BBQ beef burger (Kobe as in Bryant)- it looked very good.

The space has some weird design though. The bar area is actually quite small with the main part being a 'restaurant' that you are seated in. Also to get to the restaurant or bar you must walk thru where the kitchen and staff are- you get the feeling you aren't suppose to be there but there is no other way. It creates a bottleneck.

If you are a sports fan and want a place to watch a game I'd think this would be comfy and well priced. If you really don't want to have 100 tv's all showing sweaty people than it's definately not a place to put on your list.

Dayne and I stopped in to Sport last night after picking up some good stuff at the Cheese Cellar.

What were the drinks like? Anything interesting? Did you have a chance to peruse the food menu? What else did it offer?

Paul and I came very close to going there last night to watch the Sonic game (I'm an avid fan for those of you who don't know me) but the cocktails at Zig Zag provided a stronger pull.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

What were the drinks like? Anything interesting? Did you have a chance to peruse the food menu? What else did it offer?

Paul and I came very close to going there last night to watch the Sonic game (I'm an avid fan for those of you who don't know me) but the cocktails at Zig Zag provided a stronger pull.

Awwww, I wish you guys would have been in there! Anyway some of the cocktails looked interesting- they are all named after sports teams, players, etc. then they also have lists of regular, premium and extra premium liquors (I didn't think that was a very good list- no premium or extra gins at all)

We didn't look at the menu because we didn't want to get temped! haha! sorry. Maybe we'll have to run into each other there and discuss the menu and drinks. :wink:

Anyone have the scoop on Roy's space at the Westin? Sign has been gone for some time, ladders and drop clothes visible inside.

According to the concierge, the new venue will be the Coldwater Bar & Grill, a Westin owned entity. He's calling it sort of a marriage between Oceanaire and The Brooklyn. They will have some of the old Roy's appetizers, maximum $25 price on entrees, 30 minute (guaranteed) lunch, and some popular infused drinks. Sounds like they're trying to be all things bright and beautiful and timely. He didn't have an opening date but thought possibly late February.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

For my fellow downtown workers...I just tried a new Vietnamese place at 3rd and Marion-in that food court-called Cafe Pho. Menu looked great, even the ambiance was better than average for a downtown order at the counter kind of place. But alas. The salad rolls (filled mostly with warm iceberg lettuce! :sad: ) and chicken vermacelli noodle bowl I just had were both no good. People did seem to be enjoying the pho, though.

Edited by kiliki (log)

At long last, Sofrito Rico in Ballard has opened!

www.sofritorico.com

Drove down Market (2320 NW Market Street) twice on Monday evening. Couldn't spot it. Probably their closed night and dark? What space did they take over? Or is it back in that icky little mall?

It's at 24th & market, on the north-east corner right next to Kitchen & Things, in the place that used to be the Australian pie shop.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Ah-So Sushi on 65th in Ravenna has closed, been remodeled, and is now a Japanese restaraunt called "Osaka."

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

It looks like there is another Chocolati location on Greenwood and ??? (70th maybe?) on the west side of the street. It looks really nice and comfortable from the outside.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

It looks like there is another Chocolati location on Greenwood and ??? (70th maybe?) on the west side of the street. It looks really nice and comfortable from the outside.

At 83rd or 84th, actually. West side of Greenwood.

"Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon." --Dalai Lama

Chocolati IS pretty nice and comfy on the inside. The chocolates aren't bad but they aren't, say, Fran's. Still, they have a rack you can tie your dog to if you are just out for a walk and need a sweet.

Okay, I'm jumping the gun a little posting this but I am excited that new restaurants are coming to my Greenwood/Phinney neighboorhood (which I think is quite short of having good dining options...)

Stumbling Goat has put in a new cocktail bar! They are ready to go and just waiting for the liquor board okay. This is exciting because the only cocktail bar I can currently walk to is the Baranof.

In the old Stalk Exchange place will be a Latin/Mexican restaurant with outdoor seating! And a liquor license! There is a description taped to the door. Something like "in the style of the best of San Francisco's Mission district..." To me that means cheap good Mexican but they are calling it Nuevo Latino or something.

And, next door to that, where the "Ovations" store is, will be an Italian place. That is the word from the Greenwood Chamber, but I don't know anything else.

Okay, I'm jumping the gun a little posting this but I am excited that new restaurants are coming to my Greenwood/Phinney neighboorhood (which I think is quite short of having good dining options...)

Stumbling Goat has put in a new cocktail bar! They are ready to go and just waiting for the liquor board okay. This is exciting because the only cocktail bar I can currently walk to is the Baranof.

In the old Stalk Exchange place will be a Latin/Mexican restaurant with outdoor seating! And a liquor license! There is a description taped to the door. Something like "in the style of the best of San Francisco's Mission district..." To me that means cheap good Mexican but they are calling it Nuevo Latino or something.

And, next door to that, where the "Ovations" store is, will be an Italian place. That is the word from the Greenwood Chamber, but I don't know anything else.

Never did make it to Stalk Exchange before it went under. I'm glad to see more restaurants coming to that (my) neighborhood. Kiliki: haven't you ever been in the Pig 'n Whistle? They have a bar, too and pretty decent pub food. Baranof's is sooo depressing. More depressing than the bar in the Chinese restaurant across from Safeway.

Miulang

It looks like Ipanema is finally open. There seemed to be a few people inside last night, and there is a menu in the door. I'd like to try it sometime, but reading the menu made me miss the old version in the U. District. It's pricier now ($35 for the full meatfest) and the menu at least has an appearance of hoping to mainly target expense account businessmen (or maybe I'm reading too much into the phrase "executive lunch"). Looks like you don't get quite as many side dishes automatically now either (i.e., feiojada not part of the standard side dishes but available separately). They have a special Brazilian dish every day, but I'm not sure how much it costs. A vegetarian buffet option is available. It's a bit of a confusing menu, and I only had a minute or two to study it before dashing off for the bus. Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but the menu overall bore a disheartening resemblance to the kind of thing you come across at upscale restaurant chains. But the food, of course, will be the real test...

BradS

It looks like Ipanema is finally open.  There seemed to be a few people inside last night, and there is a menu in the door.  I'd like to try it sometime, but reading the menu made me miss the old version in the U. District.  It's pricier now ($35 for the full meatfest) and the menu at least has an appearance of hoping to mainly target expense account businessmen (or maybe I'm reading too much into the phrase "executive lunch").  Looks like you don't get quite as many side dishes automatically now either (i.e., feiojada not part of the standard side dishes but available separately).

can't speak to the food -- though i'm optimistic. but $35 seems like a ton of cash for a churrascaria. most of my old New York haunts (here's one)were closer to $20-25 (feijoada and lots else inclusive), and even Buenos Aires was charging $22 or so for their parrillada.

maybe Seattlites have far more bottomless stomachs, though i doubt it.

will most certainly try it, but only on an evening when i'm feeling rich ...

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but while in Dahlia a few weeks ago Tom Douglas was there talking about the new Palace Ballroom- their private events facility across from the Palace Kitchen.

Now we just need someone to throw a big shingdig so we can check it out!

It looks like Ipanema is finally open.  There seemed to be a few people inside last night, and there is a menu in the door.  I'd like to try it sometime, but reading the menu made me miss the old version in the U. District.  It's pricier now ($35 for the full meatfest) and the menu at least has an appearance of hoping to mainly target expense account businessmen (or maybe I'm reading too much into the phrase "executive lunch").  Looks like you don't get quite as many side dishes automatically now either (i.e., feiojada not part of the standard side dishes but available separately).  They have a special Brazilian dish every day, but I'm not sure how much it costs.  A vegetarian buffet option is available.  It's a bit of a confusing menu, and I only had a minute or two to study it before dashing off for the bus.  Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but the menu overall bore a disheartening resemblance to the kind of thing you come across at upscale restaurant chains.  But the food, of course, will be the real test...

BradS

They're open for lunch on weekends? Will have to stop over there if they are. I'm always in the mood for a good feijoada.

Miulang

Tried out Olive You tonight on Greenwood and 85th, it bills itself as a Mediterranean Specialty store but is mostly Greek, not that that's exactly a problem. :biggrin: Dani and I had a sandwich each and split a bowl of lentil soup. The lentil soup was chock full of lentils and well flavored but lacking in salt, easily remedied. The sandwiches were available in two sizes medium and large, we got the larges and got through half. They come on Essential Bakery bread and are well stuffed. We ordered the lamb sandwich and the beef sandwich. They both had a nice layer of of feta but not too much or overpowering with grilled onions and peppers. They were both good but the lamb used what seemed to be thinly sliced gyros meat that was a little dissapointing as I was kind of expecting sliced lamb but it was still very tasty. The beef sandwich also used thinly sliced meat and was pretty good.

What really caught my eye though was the cold case with the myriad of olives and pickled and marinated veggies, shimp, squid, and octopus. They looked very promising and good. The owner came and greeted us as we walked in and pointed out what was available in the hot case to be put together into a really substantial dinner special, two mains, two sides, and a salad for $12.95. The space itself was very bright and well lit and cheerful, with a small selection of beers on tap. The desserts also looked pretty decadent but we didn't try any this time around, but defnitely next time. There are a number of tables as well as counter seating and with its setup could be a really popular summer place. All in all a worthy addition to the area that will require some more sampling.

Dinner for Dani and I:

2 sandwiches

1 bowl of soup

$21

Rocky

Edited by rockdoggydog (log)

I spotted Olive You the other day while driving to Rudy's for a cut. It looked very inviting, with gleaming display cases and good lighting. It's nice to see that stretch of Greenwood getting some play. One cannot live on The Baranoff alone. I'll be visiting soon. Thanks for the report!

I'm sure a big reason for the price hike was the move to First Avenue. The rent can't be cheap! I'll still wait for more egulleters to chime in with their reviews before giving it a try. I loved them when they were in the U-District/Ravena.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I'm sure a big reason for the price hike was the move to First Avenue.  The rent can't be cheap!  I'll still wait for more egulleters to chime in with their reviews before giving it a try.  I loved them when they were in the U-District/Ravena.

Wild Ginger certainly gets away with charging a mint for relatively modest food that you could get in the I.D. for less than half the price.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.