• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 1)

Matt's Famous Chili Dogs finally opened up next to the Neptune Theater. Looking at their prices I don't know if I'll ever go. I only like mustard on my hot dog and for $3.50 I can get enough fixins for at least a week's worth of lunch.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

The little space that was Andres pizza, then a couple of take out / catering places, has a new sign - forgot the name already. Not much help - a block West of the hospital, South of Market...

"Patty Pan" - I was informed it is a VEGAN place!

Max & "Somebody's" Back Yard closed in Ballard, and, I think, Sushi Kuma in Wallingford closed (I didn't see it when I passedby on the bus, but I could be wrong).

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Max & "Somebody's" Back Yard closed in Ballard, and, I think, Sushi Kuma in Wallingford closed (I didn't see it when I passedby on the bus, but I could be wrong).

It was called Max & Boomers. As far as I can tell (I go by there frequently) they were only open for about 4 months in the first place and then closed a while back now.

There was a weird sign, back in the summer after they closed, about an auction, but there's been no activity in the space since. It used to be a Burger King before the Max & Boomer people whizzed through. I'd sure love to see something nice come in & stay long enough for me to at least try it, but it's an awkward building - obviously ex-fast-food - and that kind of space always tends draw the bad chinese restaurant business for some reason, and we have enough of those in Ballard already :raz:

speaking of new(ish) in Ballard has anyone here tried Carnegies? What did you think?

Eden

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I noticed that a Whole Foods is being built at the corner of Denny and West Lake. They say they will have 20,000+ bottles of wine, and there will be a huge Best Western Hotel on top of it.

That sounds right. Right now it's a big hole in the ground, but at least construction is underway. I might have to add the neighborhood to the list of places I might move to (from Wedgewood).

Mystery restaurant request. Who knows anything about the new, now open wood fired pizza place on Pike half a block east of Broadway. Its open, and busy, but no sign or menu in the window. Some second hand info tells me actual Neapolitans cook there but its locally owned.

Via Tribunali. It's being discussed over on the 'NY Style Pizza in Seattle' thread....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

more mysteries because I can't remember the name...the old Dukes on lower Queen Anne changed to something for a minute. Drove by it tonight and it looks like a little English pub? Anyone been? I love an English pub!!

the address named restaurant closed and the space was taken by the owners of the old "Belltown Pub". Haven't been.

Mystery restaurant request. Who knows anything about the new, now open wood fired pizza place on Pike half a block east of Broadway. Its open, and busy, but no sign or menu in the window. Some second hand info tells me actual Neapolitans cook there but its locally owned.

Via Tribunali. owned by the roaster at Caffe Vita, i believe.

authentic Neapolitan chef. pizza was pretty good, though my companions didn't agree. inexplicably, it came unsliced, with table knives that can barely spread butter.

the rest needs work, esp. the service. still, anything better than Pagliacci on Cap Hill is a step up.

Via Tribunali sounds fascinating, what with generating strong opinions, and Dino-the-Pizza-Diva sounding like Seattle's answer to the soup nazi. Not to mention the $100 wine. I can't wait till the beta testing is over and the final reviews are in, will we love it like Lark or send them packing like W. Puck.

Has anyone been in Tarragona yet? Its the new Spanish wine and food shop just north of Crave on 12th. Mostly wine but one glass case of food (just cheese maybe.)

Here's their webpage by the way:

http://www.tarragonawine.com/

It's funny you mentioned them because I was just looking at the Spanish Table's web site for Madeira, I am looking for a bottle to give to my boss when she retires next Spring.

By the way, I tried the Eastlake Bar & Grill earlier this week and they still had the Prime Rib Sandwich on the menu (but as the special) and not only did it go up $2 in price, but now it doesn't come with fries, and it was bland. AND they no longer have steak on the menu for lunch, so I will cross it off as a potential return for lunch unless it's a real hot day and I want to sit outside.

I've been to Tarragona a few times, since it's about 3 blocks away from my place, and on the way home from both Crave and the Cap Hill Saturday farmer's market. I don't know much about wine, so the cheat sheets they have up in each section are helpful.

They had two interesting Basque sheep cheeses last weekend, which I might need to get more of...

more mysteries because I can't remember the name...the old Dukes on lower Queen Anne changed to something for a minute. Drove by it tonight and it looks like a little English pub? Anyone been? I love an English pub!!

I've been there! The name is...<pounds head on desk>...I can't remember the name. Della and I stopped in a while back. I think we just had some aps and beers, but the people were very nice and we agreed liked it and wanted to come back.

• 2 weeks later...

An outpost of Fremont's Blue C sushi said to be in the works at U Village

I also noticed a new restaurant supply store ("public welcome") called Dick's, in Bellevue across from El Rinconsito, next door to the motorcycle shop.

~Anita

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

I also noticed a new restaurant supply store ("public welcome") called Dick's, in Bellevue across from El Rinconsito, next door to the motorcycle shop.

assume it's the same Dick's as the one on 1st Ave. South -- but have they moved, or are they opening a branch in the scenic Eastside?