• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 1)

Okay, now that 727 pine is closing, we're going to take some friends....

Is your opinion that a restaurant that is soon to be closing will do a mediocre job of feeding us or try to do a good job. Its not the cheapest place on earth..

thanks,

lalala

We spoke with a 727 employee we know rather well and he says the closing/conversion to a Ruth's Chris is still in the rumor category. I noticed several of the regular waitstaff were still there so I would expect the service to be fine. It was a bit troubling that only 4 tables had diners at 7pm, however.

Please let us know your experience.

Zootie's Cafe on 15th Ave, Capitol Hill, has closed. In the window is an announcement of a new place, Rainbow Cafe. Bad name, but I'll withhold judgment. :hmmm:

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Zootie's Cafe on 15th Ave, Capitol Hill, has closed.  In the window is an announcement of a new place, Rainbow Cafe.  Bad name, but I'll withhold judgment. :hmmm:

Doesn't the logo on the Rainbow Cafe place look like the Rainbow Grocery logo? I could be totally wrong, of course..

Does anyone know what happened to Zooties? I kind of liked that reuben.

• 2 weeks later...
The once upon a time Hamburger Marys at Olive and Denny is now something called The Redline. It seemed like an honest to goodness food service establishment and not just an excuse for a liquor license. Looks like some real money was spent redoing it too, might just be café counter service though.

Red Line received great reviews in the Seattle Times and The Stranger last week. Matthew, Iris, and I have been there several times during the last few months, and we really like it. Bright, open space with a busy street view, free wireless, and good food. It's just an extremely pleasant restaurant. On our first visit I had a turkey sandwich and potato salad. Not a "wow" meal, but everything tasted fresh and delicious. When I was there last week I had the sandwich of the day, chicken blue cheese, and enjoyed it. They have coffee, cereal, and pastries for breakfast, and are open into the evening. Definitely recommended.

Also on Capitol Hill, did you catch that a new restaurant will open in the Cassis space?

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Zootie's Cafe on 15th Ave, Capitol Hill, has closed.  In the window is an announcement of a new place, Rainbow Cafe.  Bad name, but I'll withhold judgment. :hmmm:

Doesn't the logo on the Rainbow Cafe place look like the Rainbow Grocery logo? I could be totally wrong, of course..

Does anyone know what happened to Zooties? I kind of liked that reuben.

You were correct. Rainbow Grocery is opening this cafe. It's nice to know they're doing well. As hippy markets go, I like them worlds more than Madison Market. That's quite the nexus of vegetarian restaurants. I think this will be fourth(?) in a two-block area.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

FWIW, Sostanza is open again and the food was pretty darn good.

We used one of the two twenty dollar gift certs we got from reviewing a restaurant during dinner at 8 for dinner on Friday night. We'll use the other in a few weeks.

There was a nice little advert welcoming them back from Starbucks in the Pacific section of the Friday Seattle Times. I am wondering if Howard S. eats there often.

lalala

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.

FWIW, Sostanza is open again and the food was pretty darn good.

We used one of the two twenty dollar gift certs we got from reviewing a restaurant during dinner at 8 for dinner on Friday night. We'll use the other in a few weeks.

There was a nice little advert welcoming them back from Starbucks in the Pacific section of the Friday Seattle Times. I am wondering if Howard S. eats there often.

lalala

Why were they closed? I haven't been in ages, but I loved Sostanza for a long time.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Also on Capitol Hill, did you catch that a new restaurant will open in the Cassis space?

The owners of Maximillien are opening this new restaurant. XO Bistro, I think. According to Axel, it will be slightly downscale of Maximillien, at least in terms of cost.

edit: Sorry, should have read the article first. Reported this a couple of weeks ago here.

Edited by SeAAttle (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Soup Daddy's 2nd place on Pike closed and is now an Australian Pie Co. That's between 1st and 2nd.

Jasmine, on the block North of the downtown library (4th Ave side) has a sign up for help - restaurant and bar. Taking them a long time to open. Old Red Robin space?

The soon to open Matt's Famous Chili Dogs next to the Neptune Theater on 45th & Brooklyn is now taking job apllications.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I went to Collins Pub the other night (great burger with boursin and sauteed morels) and noticed that the Ibiza Dinner Club next door has a sign out saying they're opening next month. Peered through a hole in the obligatory brown paper, cool space though there's still a lot of work to be done. Stupid question: does anyone know if this place is going to be Spanish?

For those who don't know, both are located on 2nd Ave in the building next to the Smith Tower. Hopefully their luck (or planning) will be better than Bandol's (space still vacant, BTW).

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

the Ibiza Dinner Club next door has a sign out saying they're opening next month.  Peered through a hole in the obligatory brown paper, cool space though there's still a lot of work to be done. 

Did it list an actual date? (As in, when is "next month"? That's like small shops saying "back in 15 minutes" but you have no clue when they posted it! And 15 minutes can be a lot longer...) Seems like progress hasn't happened in a long time - I was wondering if they gave up after Bandol quit?

the Ibiza Dinner Club next door has a sign out saying they're opening next month.  Peered through a hole in the obligatory brown paper, cool space though there's still a lot of work to be done. 

Did it list an actual date? (As in, when is "next month"? That's like small shops saying "back in 15 minutes" but you have no clue when they posted it! And 15 minutes can be a lot longer...) Seems like progress hasn't happened in a long time - I was wondering if they gave up after Bandol quit?

It actually said 'December', and there was another sign out saying that they were hiring for all positions. The bartender at Collins also said she understood they would be opening in December. It does seem like it's been a work in progress for quite a while.

There's an article in Tablet (the free mag) about the ins and outs of opening a bar, applying for permits, waiting for contractors and inspections, liquor license, etc. It would be pretty difficult to specify an exact date when your business is going to open.

http://www.tabletmag.com/93/culture/93_beh...cenes_bar.shtml

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Received from Maximilien today:

We are excited to tell you about some great news! Eric and Axel, Maximilien_s owners since 1997 are opening a new restaurant in one of Seattle_s prominent neighborhood, Capitol Hill.

Located at 2359 10th Avenue East, XO Bistro will be offering your favorite French bistro fares at an affordable neighborhood price!

Get ready for our "Planches," charcuteries and fresh cheese served at your table right on a cutting board; "Les Moules," steamed mussels with garlic, parley and butter will be served in large "cocotte" with French fries! Another favorite is the ever-popular " Cassoulet," a tasty meat, sausage and beans stew. On the sweet side, classic French crème brulée and bread pudding will be au rendez-vous!

XO Bistro's first business day is set for this Wednesday, November 17th, right on time for the release of this year's Beaujolais Nouveau. Dinner will be served from 5pm to 10pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, and from 5pm to 11pm Fridays and Saturdays. Our full bar will always be open late so you can enjoy our cocktails late after a movie or a play!

XO Bistro web site

Prices are amazingly low IMO. I wonder if these are just introductory and will creep up. Lot's of my favorite classic French items.

Edited by tighe (log)

According to Nancy Leson in today’s Seattle Times, Gaspare's Ristorante Italiano on Lake City Way will soon reopen as Toto's Ristorante Italiano under new ownership.

A new sushi restaurant opened in Wallingford (I will make a note to try it on payday) called Rain (in the space formerly known as Mariani's Italian).

Sam's Steakhouse has a new name Eastlake Bar & Grill), with slightly less expensive menu.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

XO Bistro web site

Prices are amazingly low IMO.  I wonder if these are just introductory and will creep up.  Lot's of my favorite classic French items.

Did you go to the opening?

Axel told us that the prices will be a somewhat downscale from Maximilien, so they could hold at near current levels. Will look forward to any reviews, although we will certainly try XO soon (depending on the smoking situation).

El Vagre Marino in South Park is now La Terrazza. Despite some good press, the place usually looked empty, so I'm not surprised.

Restaurant explosion in Ballard:

Original Pancake House on 15th, just North of 80th (open or soon to be?)

Cupcake Royale on Market Street, near the theater.

The Hi Life - open in the old firehouse - typical for the small chain, Chow Foods, that includes Jitterbug, Atlas, Coastal Kitchen, 5 Spot, and E-Joe's. Breakfast daily (!), substantial dinner menu with vegan to steak entrees and Wood Fired oven PIZZA, as well as a family style menu that will change monthly - Italian right now. Big space, roomy - a little barn-like. Good latte.

The little space that was Andres pizza, then a couple of take out / catering places, has a new sign - forgot the name already. Not much help - a block West of the hospital, South of Market...

Another Ballard addition...Cafe Moose, on Leary across from Olympic Athletic Club. I peered in the windows after going to the gym tonight-it looks like a neat spot, lots of art on the walls. Breakfast and lunch, nothing unique on the menu (except the oyster sandwich special) but it sounded good.