• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 1)

I never got around to eating at Cayenne.  Unless someone says their French Dip is great, there doesn't seem to be a point now.

You weren't missing much at Cayenne before the change. You had to actually pay for chips and salsa, and the food was often over cooked, or tasted like it came out of the can (the avocado soup). Living on 1st Hill, I found it easy to find better (and often cheaper) Mex-American food.

-Kate

-----------

My food blog:

Accidental Hedonist - Food, travel and other irrelevent irreverence

Does anyone else miss Capon Rotiseree? I was wondering if there are any other places in Seattle where I can get a good whole roasted chicken and sides to go (besides QFC).

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Does anyone else miss Capon Rotiseree?  I was wondering if there are any other places in Seattle where I can get a good whole roasted chicken and sides to go (besides QFC).

Go to Metropolitan Market - Queen Anne or West Seattle. They make a great chicken and sell whole or half. They'll bone it if you ask too.

A couple of new south-end options...

The Dude discovered last week (quite by accident) a place opening soon in Renton. I think it's called The Red House...it's right near the train station, and I think it used to be a coffee shop. Anyhoo, the sign said "wine, beer and tapas," and it sounded like there may also be a retail section for the wine and beer. We spoke with a woman doing last minute preparations yesterday, who said they hope to open this coming Tuesday (9/28).

Also tried out a new place called Vino (also in Renton) a few weeks ago. It's Italian, in a little house on 3rd, and probably has been open under that name for 3 months or so by now. The predecessor in this location was Italian as well, but I don't remember the name. We hit it on a really nice Sunday evening, warm enough (at the time) to eat outside on their deck. I don't remember exactly what we had, but I do remember we liked everything. A little more upscale than Armondo's a few blocks away, and the prices (which seemed a bit high - but not ridiculous - for Renton) reflect that.

One of the owners of Maximillien told us last night that they are opening a second restaurant in the former Cassis location. If I remember correctly, the name will be XO Bistro. His description sounded like a somewhat downscale version of Maximillien (entrees at $15). Target date for opening is November 1.

Also tried out a new place called Vino (also in Renton) a few weeks ago. It's Italian, in a little house on 3rd, and probably has been open under that name for 3 months or so by now.  The predecessor in this location was Italian as well, but I don't remember the name. ....

Thanks for the South End updates!! I didn't know anything about the Red House (is it in the old location that used to be the Whistle Stop.. or am I on the wrong street?)

The joint on 3rd that is now Vino used to be Gene's Ristorante. Such a shame. The previous owner, Gene, sold it to a woman who was a newcomer to the restaurant biz. A nice lady (Alexa?) I wonder if she opened something else or decided to bag it?

Also, have you and The Dude tried a new Russian?? place I think it's called Olga's? It's in Renton and someone mentioned it to me, but I just haven't had time to check it out.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Go to Metropolitan Market - Queen Anne or West Seattle. They make a great chicken and sell whole or half. They'll bone it if you ask too.

Caveat: I've purchased whole roasted chickens from MM West Seattle, to find them quite raw. This has happened twice - they looked perfectly golden brown on the outside, but the insides were only partially cooked. Both times, I called, and was met with an 'I don't care' attitude, and was told that there was no manager on duty to complain to. Please know that I love Met Mart, and shop at both the QA and Admiral locations regularly, so it's not a random rant. I just reccommend caution if buying a whole roasted chicken.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Thanks for the South End updates!! I didn't know anything about the Red House (is it in the old location that used to be the Whistle Stop.. or am I on the wrong street?)

The joint on 3rd that is now Vino used to be Gene's Ristorante. Such a shame. The previous owner, Gene, sold it to a woman who was a newcomer to the restaurant biz. A nice lady (Alexa?) I wonder if she opened something else or decided to bag it?

Also, have you and The Dude tried a new Russian?? place I think it's called Olga's? It's in Renton and someone mentioned it to me, but I just haven't had time to check it out.

Olga's, the Russian place in Renton, is great. Great borscht, and really awesome pelmeni. I like the blinchiki there, too, but the soups are what really hit the spot - and my Russian friends love the place, which I think is telling.

According to signs in the window, Grady's Grillhouse on 24th/Montlake (next door to Cafe Lago) has been sold to the owners of the Madrona Alehouse & Eatery, and should reopen in 6-8 weeks as the Montlake Alehouse. The old owner apparently was ready to retire. We saw the old pull-tab bins on the street with a big "FREE" sign, so presumably they're going family-friendly -- no shock to those who know the Madrona sibling (aka Romper Room).

File under "Took them bloody well long enough":

Montlake Alehouse opened over the weekend. Haven't been yet, however.

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

I know the Whistle Stop is currently on Main; I don't know where it was previously. The Red House is at 410 Burnett S. I stopped in last night for a look-see. Nice selection of wine and beer on the retail side, with the option to purchase and drink your selection(s) on site. The food menu had about 20 tapas plates, in addition to a couple of specials, all priced between $4-$6. They also offer 12-15 wines by the glass.

The Dude and I haven't tried Olga's, but now that we know about it, we have it on the list to try!

Also recently visited Bittersweet, on First in downtown Kent. They're open for lunch most days, but are only open for dinner on Fridays, which is when we went. Small menu - 6 or 7 entrees, nothing fancy. The Dude had lasagna and says it may have been the best he's had in Seattle...and he's tried a lot. Service was good, prices were reasonable, and hey...it's another option in Kent. Woo!

Also recently visited Bittersweet, on First in downtown Kent. They're open for lunch most days, but are only open for dinner on Fridays, which is when we went. Small menu - 6 or 7 entrees, nothing fancy. The Dude had lasagna and says it may have been the best he's had in Seattle...and he's tried a lot. Service was good, prices were reasonable, and hey...it's another option in Kent. Woo!

LOVE BITTERSWEET!! Used to work down the street and ate there many times. New owners, but they kept the entire kitchen staff (the owners are lovely people, this is their first time owning a restaurant, although they've worked in food distrib. before). What I love is that Bittersweet makes its own bread every morning (a delightful smell that permeates all of downtown Kent). Have you and The Dude had a chance to check out that new Cafe Vino (??). It's pretty close to downtown. It's on the street that turns into the Kent-Des Moines Highway (I'm totally blanking on the name of the street right now). I'm so curious about that place.

Thanks skyflyer3 for the info on Olga's. Me loves the borscht when it's good.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

My manager's sister-in-law's brother (hey, that's almost 6 degrees!) is the publican:

Opening Friday - October 1, 2004

First Drink is on the House!

The White Horse Trading Company

Purveyors of fine wine, beer, and books

1908 Post Alley

(A few doors down from Kells)

Pike Place Market

Open Mon - Sat noon - midnight

Was walking down NE 65th this morning and stopped to look in the window of the new World Beat Cafe. (It's on 65th between 22nd and 23rd Aves NE, where Shamiana was and before that the Santa Fe Cafe). Anyway, it's featuring quite a blend of cuisines--African, Indian, Caribbean, Cuban. Looks like it has a full bar. Will probably have to try it out soon, since it's walking distance from home. Does anyone know anything about this place?

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

There's an article in today's P-I about new Seattle restaurants. Some of it may be old news (though I didn't know The Dish Urban Market closed).

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/193828_dine06.html

Also I notice the new Matt's next to the Neptune is getting closer to being open.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

that's a drag. WS has a serious lack of bars. guppy's was at least genuine, if a little joyless. the renovation needed to turn that space into something ovio will want seems pretty daunting. what was it before - a pizza hut? i just hope doubling the size doesn't hurt the quality of montoya's food.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Okay, now that 727 pine is closing, we're going to take some friends....

Is your opinion that a restaurant that is soon to be closing will do a mediocre job of feeding us or try to do a good job. Its not the cheapest place on earth..

thanks,

lalala

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.

Is your opinion that a restaurant that is soon to be closing will do a mediocre job of feeding us or try to do a good job. Its not the cheapest place on earth..

I'd say that the good/smart/in-demand staff are already working elsewhere, if they know what's good for them. But hey, maybe I am a cynic. :laugh:

Okay, now that 727 pine is closing, we're going to take some friends....

thanks,

lalala

I actually went to 727 the other night and took advantage of their bar menu. I would say that service was at least as good as any other time I've been there and the food was very tasty.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946