• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 1)

There's a new butcher moving in to the Market in the space under Matt's that opened up earlier in February this year. I forget the name, but there's a coming soon sign on the refrigerated case.

Yeah, Fero's. Sign's been up for awhile - I posted under butcher's thread some time ago - but don't know any more.

There's a new butcher moving in to the Market in the space under Matt's that opened up earlier in February this year. I forget the name, but there's a coming soon sign on the refrigerated case.

Yeah, Fero's. Sign's been up for awhile - I posted under butcher's thread some time ago - but don't know any more.

And today the signs are down. :huh:

And in other news, the plywood wall in front of Johnny Rockets at 101 Pike Street is gone. Finally, a cheap alternative to Union.

:laugh:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

i had dinner at macrina last night. i don't think i'd go back for dinner - though i think their brunch and lunch menus are interesting enough to keep it on my list.

the dinner choices were very limited. last night the best thing we tried was an appetizer of 3 halved stuffed roma tomatoes. they needed a little more salt and olive oil, but what's not to love about warm fresh tomatoes with pecorino and herbs? i had a cup of the yellow lentil soup with chili oil and walnuts. the soup itself was good, if not very exciting - but the oil and untoasted nuts did nothing for me.

entrees were rockfish filet with corn poblano cakes & chanterelles and a steak salad. there are only 3 entrees per day - and i think they change every day - the third last night was a pork tenderloin. the salad was fine, the fish was fine but the flavors in the dish didn't meld very well and the corn cakes should have been crisper. not a total bust, but there are enough choices in seattle - and in belltown in particular, that i don't think i'd go back to macrina for dinner.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Sign in the window at the corner says that the big white building at 22nd and Jackson -- former art college location, across from the bakery -- will be the new home of Hidmo Eritrean Cuisine. They're currently down on 25th and Jackson, if memory serves.

Anyone been? Looks like the Stranger critic thinks it's good... but the only eG post I can find here is about their coffee ceremony.

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

• 2 weeks later...

Driving through downtown Ballard this weekend, I noticed:

- Mike's Gourmet Hot Dogs (in the former Duque+Duque salon/boutique space) looks very close to opening.

- The former Dish Urban Market space has signs up saying it will become an outpost of Madrona's Verite Coffee/Cupcake Royale.

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

I noticed that the former Blue Note Espresso next to the Neptune Theater will soon be a Chili Dog restaurant.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Sign in the window at the corner says that the big white building at 22nd and Jackson -- former art college location, across from the bakery -- will be the new home of Hidmo Eritrean Cuisine. They're currently down on 25th and Jackson, if memory serves.

Anyone been?

I've been. I didn't think it was very good; not as good as Blue Nile, which I don't think is even considered one of the better Ethiopian places in that area. The flavors were muddy, some of the meat was tough, and everything kind of tasted the same, which I find to be the biggest danger in East African restaurants.

Matthew

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Is Matt's any good?

The dogs are the chicago style that "snap" when you bite them. The chili is very loose, I personally like mine thicker but I thought the dogs were good. It's been about 3 years since I worked in Bellevue by the Matt's there though.

Local Café in the former Green Cat location on Olive is now open. Brunch was tasty with well intentioned but awkward service. I was there late in the service (2pm) and more than half of the menu had been 86d thus causing the awkwardness. The chef came out himself to reccomend a meal of what was left. I ended up with a gorgonzola onion tart slice with two fried eggs on the side and the dining companion went with a chickpea and sausage stew again with two eggs on the side. The chef sent out some fingerling potatoes and french bread along the orders. The space has been stripped down to a basic open clean country creamy ivory white walls with mix and match antique/second hand oakish furniture and hardwood floors. One note about the design all the hard surfaces makes for a loud room. This seems to be a growing trend. Please future restaurateurs budget some fabric in your designs. I reccomend an afternoon browsing in Soft Coverings on Queen Anne for premade or custom work. Both the Tart and Stew were rich and tasty with a mediterranean mix of garlic and rosemary. The stew had been cooked long enough to mellow and blend the flavors without overcooking the chickpeas. The tart was thin and crisp with the onions sweetly caramelized and not bitter, there may not have been any eggs at all to bind the ingredients just the gorgonzola to fill out the flavor and add some richness.

Ladybug...Did you notice if the restaurant formerly known as The Green Cat still serves the Hobo Scram (or Pablo's Potatoes)? That was my favorite thing to order besides the vanilla iced lattes.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but the Ave has a new Japanese restaurant called BOB (Best of Bento). I've eaten there twice and I can honestly say it's the best Japanese restaurant on the Ave (OK, that wouldn't be hard). They have a very big menu! So far I have stuck to sushi rolls (Rainbow, Tempura, and Alaskan/Salmon Skin) and I have been satisfied each time.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I've been. I didn't think it was very good; not as good as Blue Nile, which I don't think is even considered one of the better Ethiopian places in that area. The flavors were muddy, some of the meat was tough, and everything kind of tasted the same, which I find to be the biggest danger in East African restaurants.

Matthew

I really like Hidmo, but have found that my enjoyment of the food depends on which of their two cooks is doing the cooking. One I definitely like a lot better than the other, and I've mentioned this in the past to the guy who manages the place. He said he'd try to get their styles closer together, but we all know what a personal thing that can be in a small family joint like that.

I've been there I think 10 times since they first opened, 7 great meals, 3 not so great ones. Love their awaze paste too, ask for this on the side.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

Ladybug...Did you notice if the restaurant formerly known as The Green Cat still serves the Hobo Scram (or Pablo's Potatoes)?  That was my favorite thing to order besides the vanilla iced lattes.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but the Ave has a new Japanese restaurant called BOB (Best of Bento).  I've eaten there twice and I can honestly say it's the best Japanese restaurant on the Ave (OK, that wouldn't be hard).  They have a very big menu!  So far I have stuck to sushi rolls (Rainbow, Tempura, and Alaskan/Salmon Skin) and I have been satisfied each time.

New owner, new name, new interior, new menu, no holdovers at Local Café.

Gleaned from the site whose name shall not be spoken....

727 Pine is closing and Ruth's Chris is moving into the space. Kind of an ignominious end to a restaurant that debuted with so much promise and hype.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Kind of an ignominious end to a restaurant that debuted with so much promise and hype.

no huge surprise, sadly. i always thought the bar had promise, but my experiences in the dining room were underwhelming. one of the worst steaks i've had in a long time, and it was labeled as Kobe (dubiously) and over $40, as i recall. after that, i resolved not to eat in the dining room again.

[edit: after looking over their menu, the beef was in fact $48. and their morel soup was salty and underflavored, which was equally sad.]

i did like the wine list, and the oven up front always made me think more was possible.

Edited by jbonne (log)

I noticed today that Cayenne in the Silver Cloud on Broadway has scrapped the 'south of the border' theme. A few original items have been retained, but the menu now includes such Mexican favorites as chicken penne alfredo, meatloaf with gravy, grilled herb chicken and french dip. So now its just a complete hodge-podge without any unifying theme. Doesn't Bourdain have something in KC about desparate reworkings of the menu being a sure sign that a restaurant is in serious trouble? Sort of sad considering they've had one of the most agressive advertising campaigns I've ever seen for a restaurant in Seattle.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I can't believe a hotel without a club floor or another restaurant would put something like a Ruth Chris steak house as a replacement for its restaurant.

They have to feed their guests something for breakfast.

I only dined at 727 once -- an expensive happy hour and breakfast. Both were pretty good.

lalala

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.

I never got around to eating at Cayenne. Unless someone says their French Dip is great, there doesn't seem to be a point now.

Has anyone been to the new restaurant on 1st Ave, in Belltown called the Apartment?  It would be nice to see something succeed in that space.

The sign yesterday said Private Functions September 16-18. Opening September 22. Pretty slick looking place - vanilla leather (?) seating...

Gleaned from the site whose name shall not be spoken....

727 Pine is closing and Ruth's Chris is moving into the space.  Kind of an ignominious end to a restaurant that debuted with so much promise and hype.

I am sorry to hear about 727. We dined there several times a year and always enjoyed it. I did wonder about the price level and its compatibility with a hotel-associated restaurant.

For reasons that I will not go into, my assistant called today to ask about the "rumor". Apparently, the person on the phone was quite surprised and asked how she knew about the impending change. Scheduled to happen November 1.

Whatever happened to the guys who ran Cousins in Kirkland? Great brunch place, lines out the door every weekend. They always said they'd reopen, but nothing has ever appeared... At least, under that same name.

Born Free, Now Expensive