• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 1)

Was craving some fried chicken, fried okra and greens the other day, so called La Louisiana to check their hours and doggone-it if they aren't closed. The number's disconnected and Citysearch has a "closed" marked across their page.

Does anyone know anything about this? We really enjoyed this place :sad:

They're under new ownership. Three of their ex-cooks are acquaintances of mine, and... well, I am hearing things like "monthly food budget reduced by 20k" as well as other gossip of the poor management variety. The consensus wasn't optimistic, but I guess time will tell.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

Was craving some fried chicken, fried okra and greens the other day, so called La Louisiana to check their hours and doggone-it if they aren't closed.  The number's disconnected and Citysearch has a "closed" marked across their page.

Does anyone know anything about this?  We really enjoyed this place :sad:

They're under new ownership. Three of their ex-cooks are acquaintances of mine, and... well, I am hearing things like "monthly food budget reduced by 20k" as well as other gossip of the poor management variety. The consensus wasn't optimistic, but I guess time will tell.

Pat

Management is extremely poor. Their disorganization is epic. The dinner I had there (now 2 weeks ago) was for 20. It was a company dinner, and we had arranged the whole thing weeks in advance. When we arrived, the room we had booked was being used for a giant birthday party. Luckily they had a not-as-nice private room in back that wasn't being used (but of course, it wasn't ready either). Turns out they had us down for the wrong day, even after several reminders, including a lunch appointment with the manager the previous day. Service was fairly smooth by La Louisiana standards (usually pretty lousy), and they comped us 3 appetizers because of the mix-up.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

What's hapening down the block (West) across the street? There is a building with major renovation work happening and some elaborate steel railings and staircase. Across from the library...and have you walked into the specialty food store across from Bottleworks yet? What are they selling?

I was insanely curious after these posts and went along 45th about 3:00 Sunday 25 July. I saw the renovation with all the doo-dads, but couldn't see anything around Bottleworks except Wells Fargo bank and Hollywood Video. Where is the new store, exactly? Also didn't see anything smouldering, as per Really Nice!'s post...(But I could easily have missed things. I was on a bike and missing one contact lens).

Speaking of Bottleworks, has FWED tried the Dagoba chocolate they sell, and what is his opinion? I love the xocolatl with chilies, although the clerk warned me that some people have hated it.

What's hapening down the block (West) across the street? There is a building with major renovation work happening and some elaborate steel railings and staircase. Across from the library...and have you walked into the specialty food store across from Bottleworks yet? What are they selling?

I was insanely curious after these posts and went along 45th about 3:00 Sunday 25 July. I saw the renovation with all the doo-dads, but couldn't see anything around Bottleworks except Wells Fargo bank and Hollywood Video. Where is the new store, exactly? Also didn't see anything smouldering, as per Really Nice!'s post...(But I could easily have missed things. I was on a bike and missing one contact lens).

Speaking of Bottleworks, has FWED tried the Dagoba chocolate they sell, and what is his opinion? I love the xocolatl with chilies, although the clerk warned me that some people have hated it.

The renovation with all that metal work now rising into the sky - must be a Thai or Indian palace?

The specialty food store is across the street (South side of 45th.)

Wonderbar is on the corner where Tully's (?) used to be. Or was that an SBC?

What burned?

Green Cat (Capitol Hill) looks like it's closed once again.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

On the corner of 45th and Wallingford (where Seattle's Best Coffee used to be) there are signs in the window for Wonder Bar.

Is this the place that burned down last night?

The fire was on 44th and Meridian so it was a block off the retail area. From what I read, the damage was to an apartment building and neighboring houses. I'm surprised I didn't see or smell any smoke. We did hear the sirens but that was it.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Gretchen's Cafe at Benaroya is gone. Coming soon - something from Wolfgang Puck! (He goes, he returns...) I understand they couldn't reach a contract agreement. That will hurt (Gretchen's, of course.)

The once upon a time Hamburger Marys at Olive and Denny is now something called The Redline. It seemed like an honest to goodness food service establishment and not just an excuse for a liquor license. Looks like some real money was spent redoing it too, might just be café counter service though.

Gretchen's Cafe at Benaroya is gone. Coming soon - something from Wolfgang Puck!

Did he ever complete the purchase of Cucina Cucina!?

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Serious Disclaimer...I've worked with or for the folks behind both of the restaurants I will be talking about...

Damnit...I wanted to be the first one to mention Redline... :raz:

Managed to weasel into the preopening party last night for Redline. Soups, cookies, (Mmmmm...) and pressed sandwiches. Rather then going the regular pannini (sp?) press route, they will be pressing their sandwiches in their oven. a few beers on tap, coffee...looks like a great little place to get your caffeine fix, and I am already addicted to their curry chicken sandwich....yum. I think the idea will be that they will be roasting the meats in the oven then slicing it for the sandwiches. Target opening is later on this week, Wed/Thursday-ish, possibly Friday. Open 6-ish to 10-ish...

Looks like, however, I will be the first w/ details on Sofrito Rico opening (hopefully) in Mid-September at the old Aussie Sandwich place (Mi-Yi? Pi-Yi? Whatever...) in Ballard. The won Best Food vendor at the Ballard Seafood Fest last weekend. Puerto Rican food, empanadas, tostones, a great ceviche-ish salad and some pretty darned tasty salmon. Dunno if the Salmon was a nod to Ballard or whether it will be on the regular menu or not. Also, if things go as I understood them, Vegan items will be offered as well...

Mmmmm.....Good luck, guys!

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

This weekend I checked out the new place under construction on 45th in Wallingford this weekend (the place with all the metal work). If I understood the guys doing the construction correctly, it is going to be a thai restaurant and bar, opened by a 36 year old woman named May (which I gathered is also to be the name of the restaurant). It is scheduled to be open on August 11th. The metal work is really beautiful. I poked my head inside and the bottom floor appears to be the bar with the restaurant upstairs. It also appears that they will have an patio area out front.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Gretchen's Cafe at Benaroya is gone. Coming soon - something from Wolfgang Puck!

That is already in the past. They were more recently sold to a Canadian (?).

On another note - I looked in on the other two new ventures on 45th. Wonderbar appears to be in the new trend of lux bars - like Viceroy. Chocolate brown couches, crystal chandeliers, room for a little dancing - or at least a band.

Bella Cosa - the food place - nice looking cheesecase - no prices posted. Fancy pasta, sauces, sandwiches...a busted freezer posted as containing Ciao Bella Gelato. Good luck to them - not sure there is a market...

Looks like, however, I will be the first w/ details on Sofrito Rico opening (hopefully) in Mid-September at the old Aussie Sandwich place (Mi-Yi? Pi-Yi? Whatever...) in Ballard.

That was Miyi Australian Pies. I didn't know they had closed. Matthew reviewed it a while back and we both enjoyed their food; the pies were tasty. Puerto Rican sounds good too, though. (And when I want a meat pie, I like those at Pies and Pints even more.)

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Todays Nicole Brodeur column in the Seattle Times included the detail that the owners burnt some sage with the opening of Maguire's Irish Bistro to chase away the negative vibes of the three previous failed businesses at that location. I'm hoping Oasis on Pike did the same as I'd like another sushi place on the hill. Not to mention the whole length of Broadway seem to need a full blown exorcism just to get some occupants for the empty spaces. Changs Mongolian grill, the original Galerias space and that long empty Pizzeria at the corner of b'way and Denny, are the largest spaces. Does anyone want to nominate other locations for sage burning due to high turnover or longterm vacancy?

Todays  Nicole Brodeur column in the Seattle Times included the detail that the owners burnt some sage with the opening of Maguire's Irish Bistro to chase away the negative vibes of the three previous failed businesses at that location.  I'm hoping Oasis on Pike did the same as I'd like another sushi place on the hill. Not to mention the whole length of Broadway seem to need a full blown exorcism just to get some occupants for the empty spaces. Changs Mongolian grill, the original Galerias space and that long empty Pizzeria at the corner of b'way and Denny, are the largest spaces. Does anyone want to nominate other locations for sage burning due to high turnover or longterm vacancy?

The space where Union is...absolutely cursed and now I'm worried because of ReallyNice!'s post about how slow business is for them.

Of course part of the reason the previous two places in the space where Maguire's is failed is that they sucked bad....

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Of course part of the reason the previous two places in the space where Maguire's is failed is that they sucked bad....

Especially that last place, which was godawful and misconceived, and they certainly didn't seem to care whether they had customers or not.

Maguire's has nothing to worry about. They are filling a nitch on 15th and are doing a great job as a neighborhood joint. They care about their customers and actually make decent cocktails.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

See this link - Cucina Cucina, Washington State, are now owned by the Fuller family - "Joey Tomatoes" out of Vancouver BC, while Cucina Presto! are Puck's.

corporate link

Alexandria's on 2nd opens 7/15. They're billing it as "upscale" southern cuisine with "signature cocktails." Chef is Michael Franklin. Sounds familiar.

on the topic of unfortunate locations ...

maybe it's my paranoia, but i'd take it as a troubling sign that the Falling Waters space that Alexandria's now occupies was vacant for three-odd years. anyone else find this problematic?

for whatever reason, that block seems to lack much foot traffic. of course, venues on 1st and 3rd in that same area seem to be doing just fine, so who knows.

haven't been there yet. i've been exhorted to visit, though. initial reports from friends were thumbs up on the food, thumbs down on the wine selection.

maybe it's my paranoia, but i'd take it as a troubling sign that the Falling Waters space that Alexandria's now occupies was vacant for three-odd years. anyone else find this problematic?

for whatever reason, that block seems to lack much foot traffic. of course, venues on 1st and 3rd in that same area seem to be doing just fine, so who knows.

Brasa's on that block on 3rd, and I'm not convinced that it's doing so great. It's been a tomb every time I've been there recently.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

On Third- between Union and Pike, next to Bruno's Mexican and Italian (has anyone every gone there?) is a sign for "Harried and Hungry" all day cafe.

I've been to Bruno's once. There are a lot of people who work down in that area who go there very often. I had some very basic pasta with garlic, oil and broccoli--that was surprisingly good. I switched jobs before I could go again. Problem is, there are so many good restaurants downtown. But Bruno's is definitely affordable.

--braincell

Brasa's on that block on 3rd, and I'm not convinced that it's doing so great. It's been a tomb every time I've been there recently.

might be the summer lull (it was always quiet there in the summer) but i suppose it could also be a bit of bloom-off-rose.

i always hated Brasa's location. it's just a bad block. too many transients, too little foot traffic. really nothing else there at night, and a bit spooky. despite my four years of college in Harlem, and being a relatively solid-looking guy, i still get a bit freaked out over there late in the evening.

admittedly, i haven't been in about two months, so i haven't been helping things at all.

i always hated Brasa's location. it's just a bad block. too many transients, too little foot traffic. really nothing else there at night, and a bit spooky. despite my four years of college in Harlem, and being a relatively solid-looking guy, i still get a bit freaked out over there late in the evening.

Brasa has been on my list of places to try...but now you've scared me off a bit.

We're early diners...so I would imagine we'd be walking to the ferry at around 8P or so...

Would just walking straight down the hill to First St. make it a little safer??