• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 1)

Yesterday I noticed a new place in Wallingford on 45th (maybe 45th & Meridian?), in a really pretty white house. I think it's called Djan's, and the sign says something like "Asian-Thai Fusion." It named a website too, but I tried it and it doesn't seem to be up and running.

Also while in Ballard the other night with the Edlunds, I noticed that La Romantica's windows were papered over. Are they gone? I've never heard anyone say a kind word about the place.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Also while in Ballard the other night with the Edlunds, I noticed that La Romantica's windows were papered over. Are they gone? I've never heard anyone say a kind word about the place.

I meant La Romantica when I said La Rustica above. My co-worker said her neighbor went there for drinks on Thursday. My co-worker walked in on Saturday but didn't stay to eat.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Does anybody know anything about the new tex-mex place on Market Street in Ballard? It's where La Rustica used to be. A friend of mine heard that it's owned by the same people that own Paseo.

This place opened in December and was mentioned elsewhere on this board. We managed to find it last week - no sign but if you look inside, it will be obvious. The food is actually Oaxacan, far from Tex-Mex. Several items have mole sauce. A bit on the sweet side but very tasty. Will certainly return.

BTW, the walls are covered with very interesting photographs of Oaxaca.

I think the name is La Carta de Oaxaca.

These are two different locations we're talking about (they're really just across the street from one another). La Romantica was on the NE corner of Market and Ballard Ave, and is now a brand new Tex-Mex place (open only a few days now). La Carta de Oaxaca is on Ballard Ave on the west side of the street, next door to People's Pub (open since December).

Edited to add that the food at La Carta de Oaxaca was great. Best mole I've ever tasted and the posole was like ambrosia.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Does anybody know anything about the new tex-mex place on Market Street in Ballard? It's where La Romantica used to be. A friend of mine heard that it's owned by the same people that own Paseo.

A second conversation my friend had indicates it's owned by the people who own Peso's not Paseo's.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

The owner was murdered last year, though, so I wouldn't be too terribly surprised.

Update: We went by Philly's Best tonight, and the place was dark-dark-dark at 7pm. There was a scary-looking notice of unpaid taxes taped to the window, and a couple of day's worth of mail bunched up by the door. The whole corner is now very dark and sad, what with the seimically freaky shell of Ms. Helen's Soul Food kitty-corner across the way.

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Apparently Noodle Studio on Broadway (Capitol Hill) has lost their lease.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Buenos Aires Grill?

2nd and Virginia - replaced Poor Italian Cafe.

thanks tsquare!

Enjoyed a meal at Buenos Aires Grill over the Christmas holidays. Two of our party of 6 ordered the signature table top grill parillada mixta... an assortment of grilled sausages and meats (all you can eat for a low price of around $19 pp). I ordered an inexpensive hanger steak that was a bit sinewy and chewy, but a huge hunk of meat for the price (enough to take some home) and the flavor was pretty good. All served with chimchurri sauce and another salsa type sauce. The fries were not too good (kind of limp), and the bread was unremarkable but redeemed by dipping in the garlicky chimchurri.

The real draw here though is their professional tango dancers/couple who danced around our table and even up on the bar. They were dramatic, entertaining, and much fun to watch while enjoying our dinner. The scene is lively, noisy, hip and fun. The owner stopped by our table to check on us, and spent time chatting with us. I think the tango dancers are only there on the weekends, and reservations are a must. Even with reservations, we had to wait about 20 minutes for a table to open up.

The owner was murdered last year, though, so I wouldn't be too terribly surprised.

Update: We went by Philly's Best tonight, and the place was dark-dark-dark at 7pm. There was a scary-looking notice of unpaid taxes taped to the window, and a couple of day's worth of mail bunched up by the door. The whole corner is now very dark and sad, what with the seimically freaky shell of Ms. Helen's Soul Food kitty-corner across the way.

oh man, that's a hideous story. Very very sad.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Great excitement in our household over the banner that just went up on the new building at Broadway and Roy: "Opening Soon Essential Bakery Cafe." !!! We've become quite fond of the one on Madison, which is much less conveniently located than Broadway and Roy.

We've had lunch a couple of times at the new Simply Thai. The food is tasty and the lunch special is very cheap (they're baby-friendly, too). The larb at a nearby table looked delicious.

Hollywood Burger Co. on Broadway is closed (no great loss). In the seven years we've lived in Seattle we've seen that storefront change more than any other one on Broadway. Saddest demise was Ezo Noodles. What will come next?

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Great excitement in our household over the banner that just went up on the new building at Broadway and Roy: "Opening Soon Essential Bakery Cafe." !!! We've become quite fond of the one on Madison, which is much less conveniently located than Broadway and Roy.

The excitement in your household has just become the excitement in ours. We live a few blocks from Broadway and Roy. I used to work a couple of blocks from the Fremont Essential Bakery and I miss the location enormously.

You just made my weekend!

I also heard that... wait a minute. didn't I read it here somewhere?!

Essential Bakery is taking over the old Redhook building in Fremont.

No, no - Essential Chocolates. Our own chocolate factory and cafe.

ahhhhh I see. I knew of no such entity. Essential Chocolates?!

Born Free, Now Expensive

They are the same company, right?.... :unsure:

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

They are the same company, right?.... :unsure:

Yes, was trying to say, the bakery isn't moving. They are adding a chocolate facility. Not that anyone suggested the bakery was moving in the first place.

In the interests of scooping the papers, rumour has it that Thomas Soukakos, original owner of El Greco, is climbing back in the saddle and will be opening a Mediterranean deli type place on Capitol Hill sometime in the next couple of months. Thomas is a great guy and his food is excellent - I can't wait to see what he's got for us.

- S

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the Essential Bakery on Madison this morning, and noticed a business going in next door called Rue de Lyon. The staff at Essential think it might be a new restaurant. Does anyone know?

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I was at the Essential Bakery on Madison this morning, and noticed a business going in next door called Rue de Lyon. The staff at Essential think it might be a new restaurant. Does anyone know?

We've been watching them do construction and wondering. Madison Valley is going to become the Rue Francaise. There's a sign up promising a "bistrot" where Gitano used to be (ding, dong, the witch is dead!)

c

i play the rock. you shake the booty.

There's a sign up promising a "bistrot" where Gitano used to be (ding, dong, the witch is dead!)

I read somewhere (maybe the Times?) that the Gitano location will house a new restaurant by the owner of Figaro (which he sold to Chopstix). BTW, LEdlund and I walked by Chopstix last night and decided that we had to stop in and take a look. It's really grotty and smelled strongly of bleach. Don't know why, but I actually thought it would be a bit nicer. :blink:

Gov. Schwarzenegger.