• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 1)

Oh, I did hear that the shop will specialize in European desserts. I'll be curious to hear any reports on this place. They're supposed to open in early March. Their address is going to be 2224 N. 56th St.

Speaking of european pastries, I thnk the European Restaurant and Pastry Shop on 41st and University (I know, I know, the U District isn't exactly a restaurant paradise) has been completely taken over by the evil teriyaki side of the restaurant. I will miss the chocolate covered macaroons with the size and sturdiness of traffic buttons and the mohn (poppy seed) strudel.

The new Essential Bakery Cafe at Madison & MLK (right by Harvest Vine) looks like it will be open any day now.

The Essential Bakery Cafe in Madison Valley (on Madison) is now open. Counter service with quiches, croissants, pastries, etc., plus soup/salad/sandwiches at lunch. Coffee and a couple of beer taps! :biggrin: Kitchen only open until 4:30p, tho (at least on the Sunday we stopped in). :sad:

i play the rock. you shake the booty.

Surprisingly enough it appears that the new Silver Cloud Inn at Broadway and Madison isn't putting in a generic dining space. No clue what the menu will look like, but the interior is kind of funky and reminds me somewhat of Fish Club or one of Wolfgang Puck's places.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Surprisingly enough it appears that the new Silver Cloud Inn at Broadway and Madison isn't putting in a generic dining space. No clue what the menu will look like, but the interior is kind of funky and reminds me somewhat of Fish Club or one of Wolfgang Puck's places.

The new restaurant at the Silver Cloud is called Cayenne and owners are Eastsiders (LOCALS!). The menu looks, well, pretty unusual (not sure what to think)... duck flautas (!!) and an ahi tuna margarita .... I know nothing about the chef, but the menu looks like it would be tricky to pull off... there are a lot of fusion things on the menu that could potentially be very bad if in the wrong chef's hands.

The opening party is next Wednesday (I'm not going) and open to the public at the end of the month.

I'd love to hear any first impressions if anyone goes.

Clickety here for menu:

Cayenne

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

The new restaurant at the Silver Cloud is called Cayenne and owners are Eastsiders (LOCALS!). The menu looks, well, pretty unusual (not sure what to think)... duck flautas (!!) and an ahi tuna margarita .... I know nothing about the chef, but the menu looks like it would be tricky to pull off... there are a lot of fusion things on the menu that could potentially be very bad if in the wrong chef's hands.

The opening party is next Wednesday (I'm not going) and open to the public at the end of the month.

I'd love to hear any first impressions if anyone goes.

Clickety here for menu:

Cayenne

Looks pretty tasty to me, potentially at least. It's right across the street from my office, so I'll make a point of checking it out when they open. It will be nice to have another lunch option in the area.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

It will be nice to have another lunch option in the area.

Ay-men! I'm so tired of Zeena's.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

the menu looks promising...very exciting. late happy hour w/b nice around there. the hours imply that the dinner menu is available until 10 - but there's a happy hour menu after 10. i look forward to the first reviews!

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

• 2 weeks later...
I just scored an invitation to the preview party on Tuesday the 20th.  Yeah!

I just LOVE quoting myself.... :cool:

Went to a preview party at Cayenne tonight. Very tasty Mexican-ish food, primarily seafood focused. I appreciate that they're not afraid to make stuff truly hot and they serve very tasty margaritas. The duck flautas with pumpkin seed sauce, the grilled salmon in corn husk and the spicy crab cakes were all very good. They also had a nice buffet platter of chilled seafood, the scallops with chile powder were the highlight. To their credit, they're not pretending to be "authentic", just trying to be good...

Edited by tighe (log)

Went to a preview party at Cayenne tonight.

Are they open for regular business now?

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Are they open for regular business now?

No, I think they open for regular business on the 31st.

I went to Annapurna Cafe, the (relatively) new Indian/Nepali/Tibetan place on Broadway. I don't know much about any of these cuisines, but the Lhasa Curry we had was excellent. It was complex and creamy, a really nice medium for the tender vegetables and tofu. There are several curries that sound really good (with your choice of meat or non-meat items), and also a lamb kebab-type dish that I want to try next time.

More newcomers in Penelope's latest article.

Both she and Nancy, as well as the weekly rags, run newcomers. Let's try for scooping them here - tell us what you here or see.

Like the Thai/Moroccan cafe (Jasmine?) just opened a week or two ago in the heart of the Market - behind 3 Sisters/across from Seattle Best. Not fusion, mostly Thai, with a short selection of couscous entrees. Smelled pretty good, lunches about $7.

Oh, and someone is renovating the Belltown Pub space, no signage yet.

I've seen work going on in the old Belltown Pub over the past month and today they actually put up a menu for "theBelltown"

They appear to be serving lunch & dinner with something of a seafood italian/northwest blend with things like calamari salad, breaded pork medallions, ling cod in buttermilk batter, etc.

Signs on the Roxy Deli at 1st and Union:

"Closed for winter vacation"

"For Sale - $25,000."

Not a big loss, though I never got a chance to try the Indonesian food that was also advertised. This place never got the deli part down.

Edited by tsquare (log)

Simply Thai restaurant has opened on Broadway (across from the Broadway Market). It was open for a while as Simply Paradise, closed for some time, and now is Simply Thai, presumably with the same ownership. I haven't gotten a look at the current menu, but Matthew and I liked some of the food at SP and very much enjoyed dinner at Simply Thai in Southcenter.

Siam on Broadway is newly redecorated and has a new hot pink neon sign and awning after a brief closure.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Just went to the Roxy's Deli on Crown Hill. The sign there said 'Moved to downtown Ballard. For Sale: $55,000'. Sounds like the whole enterprise isn't doing too well...

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Does anybody know anything about the new tex-mex place on Market Street in Ballard? It's where La Rustica used to be. A friend of mine heard that it's owned by the same people that own Paseo.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting