• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 1)

Culled from elsewhere:

Patty's Eggnest in Wallingford is closing, to be replaced by the Sea Monster Lounge.  That is the coolest name I've heard in ages!!  I can't wait 'til it opens!

That's too bad about Patty's, she was pretty cool. They had a decent breakfast but I tired of it pretty quickly so I'm not too dissapointed -- I was more enamored with the waitress than the food. Wasn't this the expansion site? I do believe the original is still up somewhere.

I too like the name Sea Monster Lounge. It sounds like they're going to serve alcohol and that's a good thing, Wallingford can't have enough bars.

Culled from elsewhere:

Patty's Eggnest in Wallingford is closing, to be replaced by the Sea Monster Lounge.  That is the coolest name I've heard in ages!!  I can't wait 'til it opens!

That's too bad about Patty's, she was pretty cool. They had a decent breakfast but I tired of it pretty quickly so I'm not too dissapointed -- I was more enamored with the waitress than the food. Wasn't this the expansion site? I do believe the original is still up somewhere.

I too like the name Sea Monster Lounge. It sounds like they're going to serve alcohol and that's a good thing, Wallingford can't have enough bars.

Patty's used to be on Greenwood - that place is named Pete's Eggnest these days.

Edited by tsquare (log)

• 1 month later...
Anyone know anything about the Rusty Pig (or if that is the right name?) BBQ place next to the Scientology building - West side, maybe at Aloha/Prospect or so?

I've been driving by it on my way in to work each morning. Steel Pig BBQ I think it is called. Of course it is not open on my way to work. Is 7:30 AM too early for BBQ?

Took a long time to match driving by and dinner time - the place is pretty cool - with a firefighter / partner!

Got some ribs (not baby backs) and chicken with a tangy vinegar type sauce - light viscosity, with a kick, sided with a dense corn muffin, greens (fully cooked and seasoned), and tasty rice and black-eyed peas. Maybe not the best Q in the world - or possibly even in Seattle, but the place is very appealing. Other entree is catfish. Other sides were an assortment of salads - coleslaw, macaroni, etc, as well as pinto beans - maybe mac & cheese? Dessert options include sweet potato pie - very tempting. Tea, lemonade, soda - beer? Don't think so, but I wasn't pay close attention.

One block North of Mercer - would that be Roy?

• 2 weeks later...

I just got some info on this place. It's called Madrid 522 and allegedly they open Wednesday (preview was Sunday, but I didn't go). From what I know, the chef is from Spain. Her name is Clara Guiterrez (sp?), but that's pretty much all I know. The menu is described as "Spanish regional food and tapas." Owners are Marco Beaux and Angel Tejedor (??).

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Hmmmmmm.... he sounds really familiar, but I can't say for sure why. For some reason, I keep thinking he used to own something non-restaurant (??) on the Eastside. My memory isn't as good as it used to be....I have no idea who Angel Tejador is. I did a Google and came up with nothing on both of them.

I'd love to hear if anyone else has the scoop on this joint and its owners.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Thanks for the info girl chow - sounds promising. Marco Beaux - is he the Owner of the Argentinian place with tango dancers? I recall hearing he was going to open another place.

:hmmm: Could it be, perhaps that the name is instead Cesar (sp?) Casabeaux? If the partner is the Angel I think it might be, then he used to be affiliated w/Marcha and, I think, Fernando's. Great people skills.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have an idea when Lark is supposed to open? I went by there about two weeks ago and they were still all papered up. I wonder how many seats it will have . . .

I walked by last week and snooped around a little. The exterior painting appears to be done, but, from what I could see, the interior is still a blank slate. There was a note on the door saying they were accepting applications for staff and explaining that the focus of the restaurant would be on foraged, sustainably grown and artisinal ingredients. No mention of an opening date, but it said interviews would start (started) around the end of November.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

What/where is Lark?

It's the new restaurant that Johnathan Sundstrom, ex-chef of Earth & Ocean, is opening. It's in the space on 12th Ave in the Central District/First Hill area that was Kokeb for many years.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

Used to be Kokeb.

Do you think that the neighborhood will support a restaurant that will obviously be of such high caliber? I wonder what the prices will be.

That's an odd strip on 12th. If they have a good bar I will definitely show up to have a drink, but so will a lot of other people who might not impress a "Food and Wine" Best New Chef. College kids from the dorms across the street, people wandering down from the sketchy part of Capital Hill. At this point in the economy, any business is good business I suppose.

I guess there's plenty of street parking...

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Used to be Kokeb.

Do you think that the neighborhood will support a restaurant that will obviously be of such high caliber? I wonder what the prices will be.

That's an odd strip on 12th. If they have a good bar I will definitely show up to have a drink, but so will a lot of other people who might not impress a "Food and Wine" Best New Chef. College kids from the dorms across the street, people wandering down from the sketchy part of Capital Hill. At this point in the economy, any business is good business I suppose.

I guess there's plenty of street parking...

I've wondered about the viability of the location too. There's no way that the immediate neighborhood is going to support the place, but I would guess that Sundstrom's reputation will have enough draw to get people from the more affluent areas nearby. Twelvth ave is undergoing something of a face-lift as well, which has made the area less gritty. Maybe at night it will be OK, but parking around there during the day is a nightmare.

We stayed at the W hotel last weekend. It looks like Earth and Ocean may soon be appearing on this list. We tried to eat lunch there on the Saturday. We were given the choice of one of two tables in the holding area, or to eat in the bar amongst the smokers. The rest of the place was completely empty (they had one table of two) and blocked off by chairs. Of course we said no and hiked down to Le Pichet where we had a great lunch.

During the weekend we were in and out of the bar, I kept an eye on E and O, which was always near empty. Has the look of one of those places you try to avoid because of thier impending doom.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

What's the story with Bonefish Grill, a chain opening at S. Lake Union (711 Westlake Ave N.). They bill themselves as a "casual seafood restaurant." I don't know much else about this chain, other than the menu looks like something you'd find at Newport Bay (ack) or Red Lobster (double ack). And similar prices to these chains. The fish list didn't look impressive: King Salmon, mahi mahi, swordfish, Alaskan halibut, ahi, sea bass.. blah blah blah. Nothing original at all.

Sounds like another case of the chainy-chainy-chain chain syndrome that's stricken Seattle. Bummer? Or maybe I'm wrong? Please tell me I'm wrong.

Opening allegedly Dec. 8 with a benefit for PNB (at least that's a good thing). Please share details if you have them.

Clickety here for info on the chain: Bonefish

(warning: the web site has an annoying flash intro)

-- Frank Bruni

What's the story with Bonefish Grill,

Found this:

http://www.nd.edu/~scholast/02bonefish.html

They're owned by Outback Steakhouse, Inc.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

What's the story with Bonefish Grill

I know that they're big in the Tampa/St Pete area. When I went down there earlier this year, it was a common recommendation from locals. Given my assesment of the general state of dining in Tampa, this may not be a good thing however.

Paper is off the windows at Lark and the woman washing them said that they'd be open for business on Friday. The interior appears very minimalist but not unattractive.

i think the neighborhood is ripe for a place like lark - the parking lot is a major bonus too. it's a short walk from the (smoky but) adorable 1200 - great spot for an after dinner glass of wine. (sigh) i used to walk there all the time until moving across the west seattle bridge.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

• 2 weeks later...

Poached from the web site who's name shall not be spoken....

Apparently Figaro Bistro near Seattle Center is no more. I went a couple times a few years ago and liked their style of basic French food and the prices seemed emminently reasonable. With other good, fairly priced options for French classics, probably not too surprising they couldn't stay in business though.