• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 1)

That block containing the four Asian restaurants is slated for demolition and redevelopment next year; at least, that's why Diversity Hair Design said they moved out. Obviously, that could change at any time with the market, and usually these things happen later rather than sooner.

That would be interesting. So that's why we lost the Princess Market? But then the QFC has been slated for demo and redevelopment for years, so we all know the pace of change on Broadway.

I just can't believe they are opening ANOTHER Asian place on Broadway. Besides the ones you mentioned on that block, there are at least another 10 within a few more blocks. Oh well, maybe this one will be good?

Last Sunday, the guys at Mojito Cafe said their new location at 181 Western will be opening in about three weeks. If all goes as planned, that would be roughly the last weekend in June. The new spot is bigger, with a stage for live music, and will have a larger menu than the original Mojito on Lake City Way.

And, check out their nifty website.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Pike Place Market today, and noticed that Harbor Place is reopening as The Islander: Pacific Rim Cuisine and TIKI LOUNGE. :wub: I go crazy for tiki lounges and hope this will be a good one.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I see Roy's does not list a Seattle location in it's adds. Is it gone too? Like Fleming's? What ever happened to Le Tastevin. I loved that place. It was good if you had the cash to buy decent Bordeaux. Last time I was there was 1988 during the Olympics. we were all proudly Canadian with the victories by Lennox Lewis and Ben Johnson. Two days later Ben's secret was out and my appetite was ruined.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I see Roy's does not list a Seattle location in it's adds. Is it gone too?

AFAIK, Roy's is still in the Westin Hotel on 5th Avenue.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

• 4 weeks later...

Coop might be on to something - even if it hasn't happened yet...(ie, Roy's.)

New "Q" on Aurora!!! Anyone know anything about the Rusty Pig (or if that is the right name?) BBQ place next to the Scientology building - West side, maybe at Aloha/Prospect or so? Saw it last night from the bus - about 7 pm, the parking lot was full. Has a mock "pigs on parade" pig anchoring the corner (think it was the Fremont free public art interpretation.)

Anyone know anything about the Rusty Pig (or if that is the right name?) BBQ place next to the Scientology building - West side, maybe at Aloha/Prospect or so?

I've been driving by it on my way in to work each morning. Steel Pig BBQ I think it is called. Of course it is not open on my way to work. Is 7:30 AM too early for BBQ?

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I was at Pike Place Market today, and noticed that Harbor Place is reopening as The Islander:  Pacific Rim Cuisine and TIKI LOUNGE.  :wub:  I go crazy for tiki lounges and hope this will be a good one.

It's open - they had a decent late lunch business when I looked in yesterday. Same room layout, a stone/water wall at the entrance (too small) and some big rocks and tropical wall coverings. Same Owners as Chinoise according to the news.

On another note - The Woodlawn Park Inn has closed - to be replaced by a new mixed use building. Did anyone ever eat there?

Prost - the tavern up the road on Greenwood, North of 73rd, seems to be doing good business.

What ever happened to Le Tastevin. I loved that place. It was good if you had the cash to buy decent Bordeaux. Last time I was there was 1988 during the Olympics. we were all proudly Canadian with the victories by Lennox Lewis and Ben Johnson. Two days later Ben's secret was out and my appetite was ruined.

Jacques Boiroux, who was part owner and and chef at Le Tastevin, is now part owner of the Queen Anne Thriftway chain, which recently changed it's name to Metropolitan Market. I saw him during Copper River Salmon season in Admiral Thriftway cooking up salmon. He is as friendly and sweet as ever. Swiss chef Kaspar Donier " Kaspar's" took over the Le Tastevin space years ago.

I think I saw that the paradise cafe on Broadway closed, but I could be nuts.

Yes, it's gone. I know that some of my friends on this board kind of liked it, but I thought the food was VILE. Twice.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I heard that the Thai Restaurant in the old Avenue One space is on its way out or gone already. There's going to be another fine dining (?) place moving in next.

I agree with you Ms. R. Simply Paradise WAS vile. (But only once)

Edit: Adding in disgust.

Edited by thelastsupper (log)

I heard that the Thai Restaurant in the old Avenue One space is on its way out or gone already. There's going to be another fine dining (?) place moving in next.

Yup, "Cha Bar" is gone. Forgot the name on the coming soon sign.

I just called Cassis to find out when the Smith Tower location is opening, and they said it would be October 6. They will be open just for lunch and catering (private parties in the evening as well). If things go really well, they'll consider dinner service.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Driving down 15th on Cap Hill yesterday, I noticed that Jake's, which had replaced HopScotch has now morphed into Mangoe's Bar and Grill. HopScotch was good, Jake's sucked real bad and the idea of even going to a place called Mangoe's sends shivers down my spine....

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

On another note - The Woodlawn Park Inn has closed - to be replaced by a new mixed use building. Did anyone ever eat there?

This is very sad news! I have eaten many a mediocre meal there but have very fond memories of it.

When my husband and I were dating, we used to hang out there after work (we worked together and didn't want anyone in the office to know, figured no one from the office would be there). We had a very serious conversation one night about where the relationship was going. We decided to "take it slow". The next day he moved in with me. Sixteen years later and here we are!

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

• 3 weeks later...

Scrat68 mentions a place called Lemongrass on another thread.  Is this new?  I'm intrigued since it's so close to work.

Lemongrass on 12th is good... I think it is run by the old owners of Saigon Pearl on Rainer, which was always a favorite. Lemongrass is now the defacto birthday/event dinner place for my vietnamese inlaws. Spring rolls and egg rolls are great, thit bun is good and the bun bo hue was a little to gamey for someone averse to straight nouc mam like myself.

btw... i'm sure everyone knows the best pho in seattle can be had at any than bros. location and a another place for delicious pork & noodle soup is Mi La Cay on Rainer.

So what is pan-african? There is a new place on First Avenue - within the Market bounds - North of the Crumpet Shop a few doors.

Also, up on Greenwood at 74th - another indi coffee house with Top Pot donuts and wi-fi. Groovy. Herkimer Coffee, if my memory serves. Open a few months already.