• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

(Hou) Gazpacho Quest

casemnor

I'm currently, as "they" say, in the club/up the duff/with child. I have the most annoying fixation on fresh tomato anything, and specifically, gazpacho.

That being said, I'm on a one woman mission to ferret out gazpacho sources in Houston. To date I've tried Yapa takeout (verdict: ok, but too oil), Rustica (verdict: dependable standby) and have made a few phone calls to locations that claim to serve it seasonally (notably: Berryhill tamales), but seem to not have ever heard of gazpacho (I assume this means they aren't serving it).

So, fellow gulleters...I'm asking...where can a girl get a good bowl of gazpacho? I'd even settle for "decent bowl."

I just want good plain gazpacho...do not need fancified versions (ie. with crabmeat or made with no tomato etc).

(and FWIW, I really only want it at lunch..I'm staving off the gazpacho madness at home with bulk batches made by myself on the weekend...)

Thx.

I just want good plain gazpacho...do not need fancified versions (ie. with crabmeat or made with no tomato etc).

(and FWIW, I really only want it at lunch..I'm staving off the gazpacho madness at home with bulk batches made by myself on the weekend...)

Thx.

catalan has it. here's the menu:

http://www.catalanfoodandwine.com/dinner.pdf

"Our lives are not in the lap of the gods, but in the lap of our cooks."

-Lin Yutang, The Importance of Living, 1937

When they have it, Kraftsmen's on Montrose is very good.

I'm currently, as "they" say, in the club/up the duff/with child.  I have the most annoying fixation on fresh tomato anything, and specifically, gazpacho.

That being said, I'm on a one woman mission to ferret out gazpacho sources in Houston. To date I've tried Yapa takeout (verdict: ok, but too oil), Rustica (verdict: dependable standby) and have made a few phone calls to locations that claim to serve it seasonally (notably: Berryhill tamales), but seem to not have ever heard of gazpacho (I assume this means they aren't serving it).

So, fellow gulleters...I'm asking...where can a girl get a good bowl of gazpacho?  I'd even settle for "decent bowl." 

Thx.

This is a great thread. I love gazpacho but have never found a good one in Houston. I haven't tried many places though and I'm looking forward to trying some of these recs.

I like gazpacho very chunky - I call mine Texpacho - but it can be hot or mild, oil or no oil, even sweet (add some kernel corn), white. There's a great recipe in one of the Moosewood cookbooks for a tropical gazpacho with a can of pineapple chunks (liquified) and cumin which I was surprised to find I really liked.

This is a great thread.  I love gazpacho but have never found a good one in Houston.  I haven't tried many places though and I'm looking forward to trying some of these recs.

I like gazpacho very chunky - I call mine Texpacho - but it can be hot or mild, oil or no oil, even sweet (add some kernel corn), white.  There's a great recipe in one of the Moosewood cookbooks for a tropical gazpacho with a can of pineapple chunks (liquified) and cumin which I was surprised to find I really liked.

I will have to try this recipe!!!!!

I couldn't find anywhere with gazpacho that other lunchgoers would go with on Friday...so ended up at Be-Wiched Cafe...and subsisted (quite well I must say) on a fat elvis and their tuscan tomato soup.

.... and cafe red onion.  they say it's seasonal, so call first.

http://www.caferedonion.com/menu/newdinnermenu.pdf

I don't have the heart to even call to check if they have it. Sadly, my last meal at Red Onion will remain my LAST EVER... it was that gross. The entire restaurant reeked of off fish, and the food was solidly (across the table) pretty gross (greasy? check. cold? check. undersalted? check. oversalted? check).

This is a great thread.  I love gazpacho but have never found a good one in Houston.  I haven't tried many places though and I'm looking forward to trying some of these recs.

I like gazpacho very chunky - I call mine Texpacho - but it can be hot or mild, oil or no oil, even sweet (add some kernel corn), white.  There's a great recipe in one of the Moosewood cookbooks for a tropical gazpacho with a can of pineapple chunks (liquified) and cumin which I was surprised to find I really liked.

I will have to try this recipe!!!!!

I couldn't find anywhere with gazpacho that other lunchgoers would go with on Friday...so ended up at Be-Wiched Cafe...and subsisted (quite well I must say) on a fat elvis and their tuscan tomato soup.

I had never even heard of Be-wiched - looks interesting.

I've never had it but I see Paulie's has gazpacho.

Re: the recipe - I haven't made it since last year but I remember I thought it was a little much pineapple - I used maybe 2/3 c. I think Moosewood was also where I got the idea for kernel corn in gazpacho - there are 4 or 5 good recipes for gazpacho in several Moosewood cookbooks.

Re:  the recipe - I haven't made it since last year but I remember I thought it was a little much pineapple - I used maybe 2/3 c.  I think Moosewood was also where I got the idea for kernel corn in gazpacho - there are 4 or 5 good recipes for gazpacho in several Moosewood cookbooks.

I just checked it out, and it looks like my standard gazpacho recipe, with some addition of pineappel. It did seem a bit much, so I might just add some chopped pineapple (fresh) along with the usual assortment of veggies I use and see what that's like.

I do also sometimes make a "pico de gallo" version of gazpacho...basically adding my pico de gallo recipe to the gazpacho liquid base (which is at its most basic, tomato juice, bread, olive oil, vinegar and salt).

i had the gazpacho at catalan last night. it was very good.

you should definitely go by paulie's. everything i've ever had there was good and the westheimer location is only a block away from be-wiched, so i'm assuming it is convenient for lunch. the online menu only lists a soup of the day, so you might have to call and find out what days they serve it.

http://pauliesrestaurant.com/menus.html#soups

"Our lives are not in the lap of the gods, but in the lap of our cooks."

-Lin Yutang, The Importance of Living, 1937

Re:  the recipe - I haven't made it since last year but I remember I thought it was a little much pineapple - I used maybe 2/3 c.  I think Moosewood was also where I got the idea for kernel corn in gazpacho - there are 4 or 5 good recipes for gazpacho in several Moosewood cookbooks.

I just checked it out, and it looks like my standard gazpacho recipe, with some addition of pineappel. It did seem a bit much, so I might just add some chopped pineapple (fresh) along with the usual assortment of veggies I use and see what that's like.

I do also sometimes make a "pico de gallo" version of gazpacho...basically adding my pico de gallo recipe to the gazpacho liquid base (which is at its most basic, tomato juice, bread, olive oil, vinegar and salt).

I just made it once per the recipe and decided it was too much, never tried it without processing the pineapple - I guess you get a little fiber and texture that way instead of just adding pineapple juice.

Found any good ones yet in your quest????

A listing of restaurants on b4 for which gazpacho is mentioned in at least one review or on the profile - maybe some more to try. Not many for a city this size.

Found any good ones yet in your quest????

No further discoveries on the gazpacho quest. I did get a bit distracted by the salmonella/tomatoes news story. It had the potential to threaten my home supply! :)

My back up is still Rustica. Served every day, reliably sufficient to satisfy the obsession.

I was wanting to make some gazpacho this weekend. Anyone know where one can find some good tomatoes now? Should I pass and make a different soup?

at the rice university farmer's market yesterday (tuesday) they had both hydroponic and on the vine tomatoes. last saturday at 3000 richmond i got heirlooms (one dingy box by 9.30am, for the entire market <sigh>, but at least they were there). these tomatoes have all been very good.

I was wanting to make some gazpacho this weekend. Anyone know where one can find some good tomatoes now? Should I pass and make a different soup?

I wonder about the organic produce at WF and even Kroger Sig stores? Haven't heard anything particularly but seems they would have easily ruled them out as the source since so many people don't even have access to them. They have said tomatoes still attached to the vine in regular grocery stores are ok.

I'm sure I've seen recipes over the years for gazpacho made with just tomato juice and other vegs, no tomatoes as such, although I can't recall I've ever tried them. Love gazpacho enough I'd be willing to try it, though.

In general, I will use tomato juice when I put together my gazpacho...I find that even if I seek out "good" tomatoes...the truth is...they just aren't that great. So unless I've got a homegrown supply..I usually have to supplement tomatoeyness with tomato juice (or use a good can of imported peeled whole romas). I do think that the specialty sweet mini tomatoes hav ea great flavor...but not enough flesh/juice to make a batch of gazpacho with...so I sometimes make "gazpacho salad" with them (simple, chop those red suckers in half, cube up a lebanese cuke, thinly slice sweet onion and soak it for a good half hour before draining, some finely sliced red and yellow bell peppers...toss all together with salt, vinegar, and olive oil (and whatever else insires you)...voila!)

I've been dicing with death and living on the edge and continuing to eat raw tomatoes...

In general, I will use tomato juice when I put together my gazpacho...I find that even if I seek out "good" tomatoes...the truth is...they just aren't that great.  So unless I've got a homegrown supply..I usually have to supplement tomatoeyness with tomato juice (or use a good can of imported peeled whole romas).  I do think that the specialty sweet mini tomatoes hav ea great flavor...but not enough flesh/juice to make a batch of gazpacho with...so I sometimes make "gazpacho salad" with them (simple, chop those red suckers in half, cube up a lebanese cuke, thinly slice sweet onion and soak it for a good half hour before draining, some finely sliced red and yellow bell peppers...toss all together with salt, vinegar, and olive oil (and whatever else insires you)...voila!)

I've been dicing with death and living on the edge and continuing to eat raw tomatoes...

Are you talking about the imported Italian varieties (with basil)? Never tried that but have used canned toms. I prefer home-canned as they seem to develop a little wineyness (?) but I haven't been successful enough at gardening for several years to have enough to can.

Are you talking about the imported Italian varieties (with basil)? Never tried that but have used canned toms. I prefer home-canned as they seem to develop a little wineyness (?) but I haven't been successful enough at gardening for several years to have enough to can.

I tried adding some dried basil a few months ago and didn't like it.  For years I used a very fine French tarragon wine vinegar so tarragon seems right to me.  I ran out of it a couple of years ago and the company has apparently gone out of business and I haven't found a replacement (don't use much so a bottle lasts a long time).  I've tried adding a little dried tarragon but I tend to have a heavy hand and a very tiny amount goes a very long way when the flavors have time to marry.  Do you have any particular vinegar you like?

Not really...I usually use a nice white wine vinegar...but in a pinch...will use balsamic, or whatever I've got hanging around. I have a tendency to prefer a spanish style gazpacho...or at least how I remember my host family making it all that time ago...and to be honest...it was pretty plain and simple...no herbs...just garlic and salt as seasoning.

Sometimes I want something that tastes more like homemade pico (but can't be bothered chopping pico the way it should be chopped)...so I'll make it with a pico flavor profile...but then I'll usually use lime for sourness vs. vinegar.