• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dallas Can't-Miss Cocktail Bars

Chris Amirault

Tell me about Dallas cocktail bars. Is anyone plying the craft in the Big D?

I wish I knew. I wish I knew.

I really don't hit bars any more. When I did, I wasn't into the cocktail thing like I am now. I tended to hit beer places. We have some good ones in that category.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• 5 months later...

Whoah...good luck Chris.

The best bet you might have is to crash the bars at Fearing's, Stephan Pyles, The Mansion on Turtle Creek, etc. Still, the best you'll do there probably amounts to just different takes on margaritas and what not. Dallas is kind of cocktail dry.

Let us know if you find anything...

The #50 New York cocktail bar -- probably a decent menu at an upscale restaurant -- will be better than any bar in Dallas -- unless something new has popped up lately -- and really, that's true for most of Middle America.

I would avoid the cocktails altogether and stick to wine or whisky straight.

The #50 New York cocktail bar -- probably a decent menu at an upscale restaurant -- will be better than any bar in Dallas -- unless something new has popped up lately -- and really, that's true for most of Middle America.

I would avoid the cocktails altogether and stick to wine or whisky straight.

I wouldn't go THAT far.. But I think you are right that you won't find places in Dallas that are like the good NYC places.

The suggestion for margaritas isn't half bad. But even then, you have to be careful to make sure they use fresh juice and not a bottled mix.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I wouldn't go THAT far.. But I think you are right that you won't find places in Dallas that are like the good NYC places.

I think I can say for the entire state of Texas excluding Veritas in College Station, and Beaver's in Houston -- both helmed by eGullet members, btw -- there's not a single cocktail bar that is even as good as the bar menu at WD-50, Gramercy Tavern or The Modern in New York, much less Death & Co, Pegu, etc. I haven't been to that many New York restaurants but extrapolating from the places I have been I'd imagine there's around 50 places in New York that are better than here.

This is why I don't go out for cocktails in Texas -- excluding the two aforementioned bars of course; I make them at home.

I went to my friends at Dallasfood.org and asked them about the best cocktails in Dallas/Ft Worth.

Here is one of the answers - (from gavlist) - The Mansion - go on a Tuesday and look for Michael. He makes a number of his own infusions (pecans in bourbon, poblano simple syrup, tobacco leaf in rum, "house made" tonic, etc.) and is very good at balancing flavors (eg - drinks don't come out too sweet). He's really good at the classics, but also has some more creative drinks that are delicious. The drinks are pretty pricey, though... so a good option is to go on Thursday instead (Michael might not be there, but the menu-based drinks are the same) for their happy hour (half-priced drinks, 6-7 pm, I think?).

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Also mentioned were the bars at Craft and at Charlie Palmers.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Here's the current list at Stephen Pyles:

Piña Diablo

Orange Cosmopolitan

Kafir Lime Martini

Chocloate Martini

Jamaica Martini

Classico Margarita

Lemon Drop Martini

Mediterranean Kiss

Cucumber Martini

Mojito

Tower of Tequila

This worries me. Has anyone had a classic cocktail there?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Ah. Well.

They had some off the menu specials when we went but it was still along the lines of these more modern cocktails. They use fresh juice and other ingredients (as does the Mansion) and they were good. But if you're looking for the old school stuff I don't think that's what SP or Mansion is trying to be known for, unfortunately.

Here's the current list at Stephen Pyles:
Piña Diablo

Orange Cosmopolitan

Kafir Lime Martini

Chocloate Martini

Jamaica Martini

Classico Margarita

Lemon Drop Martini

Mediterranean Kiss

Cucumber Martini

Mojito

Tower of Tequila

This worries me. Has anyone had a classic cocktail there?

If you want good classic cocktails, drive to Houston. I split my time between both cities, and have not been able to find anything close to what the Bobby and Kevin do (did?) at Beaver's in Houston (and soon at their new place Anvil).

The most decent bar experience I've had in Dallas was at Abacus, with decent riffs on classic cocktails.