• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peter Kromberg

Peter Kromberg who was the first head chef at Intercontinental in Hyde Park Corner has died of a stroke aged 67.

I was chef tournant then sous chef under him when it opened - I most liked the months before opening when we practised recipes rather than serving diners - and had a great respect for his crafstmanship and capacity for sheer hard work.

Sad that he has gone

Sad, we have lost him and Paul Haeberlin in the same month. one of my old sous chefs used to work at le souffle and said that Kromberg was a miserable sod but loved working with him and learnt loads.

Matt Christmas.

Very sad-I wish for the standards of the days of Le Souffle to return. Contrary to the popular view things have changed very much for the worse at the top end.

I have some wonderful memories of that restaurant.

I worked for Peter Kromberg for 18 months as a commis chef at 18 years old,straight out of collage. If it wasn't for that man i think I would have left the industry. He was remarkable, clever and was never stressed. Not many people could send out food to his standard under the pressure of a kitchen like his. He was a Legend in my eyes.

:sad: