• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Strange women in bars

My non-Japanese husband is in Tokyo at a business conference this week, and he told me of a strange incident that happened a few nights ago. He took a group of people from the conference out for drinks when they were joined by two Japanese women. These women ordered several drinks and food, and afterwards went off to the restrooms and disappeared without paying their bill. It came out that everyone in the group thought someone else knew them from the conference, but in the end my husband had to pick up the tab.

Any idea what happened?

You posted this in the Japan forum, but I had friends have this happen a few months ago in Los Angeles at a Japanese karaoke bar. So its nice to see some international sharing :)

My friends raised a huge ruccus (one was a lawyer) and refused to pay.

Things like that are happening more and more. I wouldn't say it's common, but depending on the type of bar you're at, it's not uncommon, either. (I think they generally target bars that are a little more high-end, or which businessmen frequent, because the "hosts" of the tables which they join are more likely to be able to pay. They also target larger groups because they're more likely to get lost amongst the crowd.)

I don't know if this is a factor or not but a lot of conferences give you those lanyards with the big name tags attached or pins or some kind of name tags. I see people wearing them forever--putting them on first thing in the morning and stuff like that. I always put mine on as late as possible and remove it as soon as possible so that I am not so easily identified as a target. But I mean tourists are easy to spot and unfortunately make easy targets.

So sorry that happened.

Con artists.

Tokyo, LA, my back yard, your back yard, heads up.

Dirty bums!

And the last conference I was at, I was asked to go out to a restaurant afterwards with a random group and I just declined to go. I didn't totally know the people and I was traveling alone. The girl that instigated the meal was somone that was riding in the elevator at the hotel with some of us. She collected our room numbers and called us and I felt weird enough about that misstep. I mean you are there to network but...

Two other things to consider. My guess is that the women are relatives of the bar owner or work for the bar. And, my guess is that they assume, as has been suggested, that you are only in town for the night so you won't come back the next night and see them again.

My non-Japanese husband is in Tokyo at a business conference this week, and he told me of a strange incident that happened a few nights ago. He took a group of people from the conference out for drinks when they were joined by two Japanese women. These women ordered several drinks and food, and afterwards went off to the restrooms and disappeared without paying their bill.  It came out that everyone in the group thought someone else knew them from the conference, but in the end my husband had to pick up the tab.

Any idea what happened?

this isnt a strange incident. just a plain old con job. could happen anywhere. sorry that it happened to your husband!

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

this is not a case of bars teeming with "strange women." it's a case of con artists getting free stuff. it happens.

I've always thought "strange women" were some of my favorite bars' best attractions.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

rofl johnnyh. Me too and I'm a girl. Maybe they were part of the bar? Like I know salaryman often go to bars where the woman there are hostesses? There's a female version I've always wanted to try too. If it was the former then the expectation is you pay everything and the girls actually get a cut if you buy more alcohol. :)

rofl johnnyh. Me too and I'm a girl. Maybe they were part of the bar? Like I know salaryman often go to bars where the woman there are hostesses? There's a female version I've always wanted to try too. If it was the former then the expectation is you pay everything and the girls actually get a cut if you buy more alcohol. :)

No, it wasn't a hostess bar. It was in a big luxury hotel--well known international chain-- where the meeting is being held. No name tags.

I figured it was con artists, but I was wondering if it was possible they were in cahoots with the restaurant.

JohhnyH, you can keep the strange women and their big bar tabs! :raz:

No, it wasn't a hostess bar. It was in a big luxury hotel--well known international chain-- where the meeting is being held. No name tags.

I figured it was con artists, but I was wondering if it was possible they were in cahoots with the restaurant.

JohhnyH, you can keep the strange women and their big bar tabs!  :raz:

I hope he reports the incident to the management. Scams happen everywhere, but one would think a big luxury hotel would be more proactive about preventing incidents such as the one your husband had.