• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Opus 39 Revisited

robyn

Just a brief update. We ate at Opus 39 on a Saturday night during peak holiday season end of 2007 (only time we could get together with another couple). It was kind of disappointing. Crowded - a few reservation screw-ups with large parties (one walk-in party of 8 had the same name as a party of 8 with a reservation) - and the place was clearly "in the weeds". We went again last night for my husband's birthday - and all is at peace with Opus 39 again. The food is better than ever (the fish course choices in particular - scallop and shrimp - were spectacular) - the service perfectly refined. No question it is still the best restaurant in the greater JAX area. Close to 1 Michelin star - maybe 1 star Michelin? - if the guys from Michelin ever came to JAX. Which they won't :smile: .

Guess the moral of the story is stay out of restaurants on Saturday nights during high season. And go any old day of the week in any season when you feel like it (probably good advice for any restaurant anywhere). Robyn

Edited by robyn (log)

Is that the Opus 39 in St. Augustine? I took my wife there while on a day trip for her birthday. Every course looked like it was incredibly good, in fact, I'm told it was. I, unfortunately, had a cold and could not taste a thing properly! Someday soon we'll return, when my tastebuds can fully appreciate it!

Yes - Opus 39 in St. Augustine. Come on up for dinner one night this summer. It's low season (except at the beaches) - and you don't have to worry about picking up a cold - no snowbirds traveling with runny noses :smile:. Robyn