• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How should I prepare green plums?

MarkinHouston

The French green plums that I know are Reine Claudes. You'll find lots of recipes online for them, mostly of the crumble and jam variety.

But the green plums that I used to get in the US were something different, much larger and with a pointy end. I'm not sure if that's what you have, and if it would work the same way in recipes.

The green plums at my farmers market are usually a hybrid of a plum and apricot, and sweeter than most plums. I like to make jam or chutney with them, and adjust for the sweetness. Cut one open, and if it is drier than you usually see with a plum, you may have a "plumcot". The pit may be smaller as well. Treat it as an apricot in baking.

quote=MarkinHouston,May 29 2008, 04:15 AM]

Our farmer's market had green plums on sale so I bought a few pounds. At the time I recalled that the French are particularly fond of them, but I have not found any recipes in my French cookbooks. Any suggestions?